Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Canes 4-1! Canes unable to perform post game Cirque du Soleil routine.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I have a feeling that when Hyman gets back it will be:

Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Nylander
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown

He will keep it at that until Nylander gets back to full form or the one of the lines struggle.

The really disappointing thing from that game were the late PP given to the Leafs when the game was basically over. It was 4-1 PP for Carolina until 4:20 left in the 3rd and then they were given 3 penalties in a row, 2 of them being easy to call high sticks. Gotta even up the chances so it looks good on paper.

We have to keep our RFA salaries in check.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Canes defense was not what I expected. Dougie is not an impact player anymore. Slavin and Peche meh they are ok but not 1st liners. and Faulk looks a little slow. Overall a mid pack team on defense. Their forwards are all ok but outside of a couple guys there is no scoring threats there.

Leafs played their game and Canes could not force the forecheck enough to cause them any issues.

We will see tomorrow night but I don't think we will have any major problems with Tampa. Clearly they have a much better defense but they do not have a very good forecheck so the Leafs will not get stuck in their own end. I think we outskill them upfront. Freddy can handle the long shots just fine so i think this should be a win.

Again this means nothing. What is important is coming in 1st place as mentioned above. Boston when back to normal on injury front will likely take 3rd place back from buffalo. Playing Buffalo or Montreal in 1st round gives us a 2nd round matchup. Since Tampa's defense can withstand the Bruins forecheck we should be able to make an Eastern conference final again if things play out on matchups like this.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown

I can't see babs keeping Brown on the 4th line.
I only caught bits and pieces of the game last night, how was the on the first line?
Ennis has some sick hands around the net

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown

Lindholm isn't very good and will be gone. I'd rather have the Goat but most people just love this Lindy guy. Ennis won't be signed again. Johnsson has arbitration rights but doesn't look all that great anyways so it shouldn't matter. Brown should be traded really.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lindy had a good start to season but he is fading now. He probably goes to another team next season. Our 4th line centre needs to be at league minimum CAP wise.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
If you feel the team is perfect as is in your eyes, that's your prerogative.
Last nights game didn't change anything for me. They're still an excellent team that could use a little heaviness.

Last night's game didn't change anything for me either.

as for the feeling the team is perfect part, I think you know better but perhaps I've misjudged you.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Lindholm isn't very good and will be gone. I'd rather have the Goat but most people just love this Lindy guy. Ennis won't be signed again. Johnsson has arbitration rights but doesn't look all that great anyways so it shouldn't matter. Brown should be traded really.

Ennis might be a cheap depth guy to keep around.
Agreed on Brown

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown
It's too late for that and having great players is not a bad thing. You keep the core together and trade others if the salaries don't fit.

Marleau should be permanently stapled with Kadri. Since the return of Nylander into the lineup

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander are -33.76CF%Rel
Marleau-Kadri-Nylander are 21.30CF%Rel
Johnsson-Matthew-Kapanen line are 15.19CF%Rel

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
And on that note, got a good look at Pesce finally last night after all the speculation and wasnt too impressed.

Same here. I suspected it was always a set up to steal a young star talent for a player marginally better than bottom pairing fodder. I actually suspect his deficiencies are shielded in a lineup committed to defense top to bottom. He's a deeply uninteresting hockey player being mentioned as equal value for a very interesting player.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Last night's game didn't change anything for me either.

as for the feeling the team is perfect part, I think you know better but perhaps I've misjudged you.
so if you agree that last night hasn't changed anything(which it shouldn't have), I don't get your initial comment.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Its concievable we get 1st in the Atlantoc and then have to play Boston as a wildcard team.

Id rather 2nd and play Buffalo/Montreal

Agreed. Much rather play one of the Habs/Sabres while letting the Bolts and Bruins slug it out in the first round.

Besides... what could be a better way to start a deep run then by kicking the Habs asses?

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Wait what? So in your unprofessional opinion

Lindy = gone
Ennis = gone
Brown = gone
AJ = is only staying as he is cheap

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Those are all key role players. No matter what you think of them thankfully management is much much smarter then you.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lol Lindy is a far better player than the goat on every aspect of the game. The goat plays like he is 5’10”. Slow.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
A good win where all the players that we want to see on the score-sheet got there.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Johnsson doesn't look all that great? Apparently you haven't watched the last 15 games or so.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Wait what? So in your unprofessional opinion

Lindy = gone
Ennis = gone
Brown = gone
AJ = is only staying as he is cheap

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Those are all key role players. No matter what you think of them thankfully management is much much smarter then you.

It's a good bet that 2 of them would be gone because of the cap. People shouldn't get too attached to role players. I guess people would rather lose a Nylander or a Marner in order to keep those role players around.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Johnsson doesn't look all that great? Apparently you haven't watched the last 15 games or so.

He looks like a pretty basic hockey player to me. Sort of on the fringe really, you want him to make it as a top 6 but he isn't, and then you want him to be a 3rd liner but he isn't really that either. In a pinch he can top 6 and maybe have some degree of success but I think he is a candidate for a pump and dump in a future trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad