Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat Canes 4-1! Canes unable to perform post game Cirque du Soleil routine.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Ennis has signed this contract to get back into the league after few injuries plagued seasons. He will be looking for low 2nd line winger money in off season and if he stays healthy some team will sure give it to him. So 4-5m is not cheap depth.

He's on track for maybe 25 points, hardly much better than he did last year. That's not going to get him anywhere near 4-5m

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I think Ennis is playing for his next contract..... whoever gives him the most money/years. All the power to him, he knows he doesn't have many opportunities to make the bucks

I think Ennis is playing well enough that he's turning a few heads and given the Leafs' upcoming cap situation, he's likely playing himself off the team (in a good way). I like him and I hope he does well but if the ask is even in the $2-2.5M range, the Leafs just don't have the room.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
10-15pts 3rd liners in 30 games is terrible.

Our third line consists of 18 points (48 point pace), 17 points (45 point pace), and a winger who has put up back to back 60 point seasons as a rookie and sophomore. That's a really f***ing good third line. What are you even talking about?

Reactions: Duffman955

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Our third line consists of 18 points (48 point pace), 17 points (45 point pace), and a winger who has put up back to back 60 point seasons as a rookie and sophomore. That's a really ****ing good third line. What are you even talking about?

I know that. They were bumped up during Matthews injury and did virtually nothing. They were an adventure every shift to the point where it looked as though we had a good 1st 2nd and 4th line and that was about it.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
I'd still rather see a traditional "shutdown" line by adding Hyman

Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Hyman

Maybe one day...

I'm actually really liking the lineup as is. Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen are really clicking and it frees up Nylander to spark some offense on the third line. Marner and Tavares are such a dynamic duo that I don't really think it matters who you put on the left wing there but Hyman has definitely not been slowing them down.

As is, our lineup is probably one of the closest you'll ever see to a 1a, 1b, 1c top 9. 1c is maybe a bit of a stretch but Marleau-Kadri-Nylander would be a very good 2 on almost every team.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
How so would we limit Marleau's and Kadri's offensive abilities if paired with Hyman?

Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen. Kap and Nylander can skate well with the puck and Matthews would be the finisher. Kap is also physical and can forecheck well.
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner. Marner is easily the set up man but Tavares seems to be a step behind sometimes. Would be nice to have a secondary option of Johnsson to finish and he's also no slouch.
Marleau-Kadri-Hyman. Workhorse line that can neuter the other teams top line. Still a lot of skill between Kadri and Marleau to finish.

That's just fantasy talk and doesn't consider if the top line and 3rd mesh in that arrangement. I just want to see it as an option to see what it looks like when the Leafs have 2 skilled lines playing.

Look at the success Col and Bos have been having with 1 line.

We're ahead of both of them, despite having inferior defensive players. That's because of our forward depth. I would rather keep rolling 3 good lines then 2 stacked lines and a 3rd line that struggles to generate any offence.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Sorry that I'm dumb and didn't read the whole thread, but can someone explain the thread title here?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not to be a dick, but I don't think the team misses Hyman in the top 6 at all. I'd like to see him on a checking line with Kadri when he's back. That's what he's best at

I don't know, I'm liking the Kadri line with Nylander and Marleau on it

It looks dangerous every time it's on the ice

Either Hyman plays with Tavares or he goes to the 4th line RW imo

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander and Matthews need to be reunited. Matthews hasn't even looked that good and he's literally scoring at a 2PPG since coming back from injury. He could somehow find himself in the top 10 in scoring if Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander became a thing. Would give Nylander a second player to thread passes to instead of Hyman the past two seasons being deadweight.

Reactions: Havoc

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Nylander and Matthews need to be reunited. Matthews hasn't even looked that good and he's literally scoring at a 2PPG since coming back from injury. He could somehow find himself in the top 10 in scoring if Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander became a thing. Would give Nylander a second player to thread passes to instead of Hyman the past two seasons being deadweight.
I keep seeing you push for that Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander line but it's just going to happen man. The coach is too much of a moron to ever try it. I've stopped torturing myself with the prospect of our coach ever maximizing our lineup. He's way too emotionally invested in making it work his way at this point, even to the point where he'll damage the lineup in order to protect the spots of his favorites.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I keep seeing you push for that Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander line but it's just going to happen man. The coach is too much of a moron to ever try it. I've stopped torturing myself with the prospect of our coach ever maximizing our lineup. He's way too emotionally invested in making it work his way at this point, even to the point where he'll damage the lineup in order to protect the spots of his favorites.

Yeah, I know. Just putting the idea out there. I've maintained this for months now. If the Leafs win a cup with Babcock, it's more going to be on the back of the fact that he's basically been gifted a potential dynasty offence (seriously, 2-3 players at this juncture could possibly score 100 points in any given season). If I had it my way, that first line would be it, followed by another speed skill line in AJ - Tavares - Marner and Kadri gets guys like Hyman who mesh well with his gritty playstyle. There's no point in not maximizing potential to score on every shift. Brown, Hyman, Marleua etc. are all bad offensive players at this point and it's only detrimental.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
3 offensive lines and a decent 4th line is the best way to go, you are taking away our advantage. Most teams can deal with 2 offensive lines, but they have big trouble trying to stop 3 good lines and a good 4th line. Only teams with good 3-4 lines go deep in the playoffs, Babcock knows this and so do all pro hockey people. #basta

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
3 offensive lines and a decent 4th line is the best way to go, you are taking away our advantage. Most teams can deal with 2 offensive lines, but they have big trouble trying to stop 3 good lines and a good 4th line. Only teams with good 3-4 lines go deep in the playoffs, Babcock knows this and so do all pro hockey people. #basta

So not 2 scoring lines, 1 shutdown line, and one goon line ala Brian Burke good ol days.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Not to be a dick, but I don't think the team misses Hyman in the top 6 at all. I'd like to see him on a checking line with Kadri when he's back. That's what he's best at
Marner's line looked lackadaisical last night but replacing Hyman with Brown sure didn't help anything.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Marner's line looked lackadaisical last night but replacing Hyman with Brown sure didn't help anything.
a talented spark plug type player would do wonders for that line. one of Kapanen or Johnsson, with the other one playing with Matthews and Nylander

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
So not 2 scoring lines, 1 shutdown line, and one goon line ala Brian Burke good ol days.

ummm, nope, old-time hockey is over now, you can't even touch someone with a stick, you get called for it. You need to be fast, skilled, play hard, systematic and have 4 good lines to go 4 rounds deep.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

matthews-nylander
tavares-marner

These two power duo lines beat three good lines any day in my opinion.

I much prefer Matthews-Marner, Tavares-Nylander to be honest though but they won't take tavares new wing man away from him.

Reactions: Maple Leafs

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
  • matthews-nylander
  • tavares-marner

These two power duo lines beat three good lines any day in my opinion.

I much prefer Matthews-Marner, Tavares-Nylander to be honest though but they won't take Tavares new wingman away from him.

I fixed it, this is our advantage over other teams
  • matthews-nylander
  • tavares-marner
  • Kadri- Kappy/Johnsson

Reactions: Havoc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad