Post-Game Talk: Leafs beat a playoff team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Third line was better last game imo

Just remember that it is early in the season and lots of teams are having defensive gaffs right now. this last game showed minor improvements. Mine you still a ways to go.

This is one of the worse teams I've seen at defending their blue line. In fact they don't defend it AT ALL. They let the other team just skate into the zone. And they aren't good at dealing with forechecks either so the other team has so many options for zone-entries. Honestly, the fact that DJ Smith has a job still is puzzling but it's on Babcock too, you can't just blame the assistant alone for something as important as breakouts or preventing zone-entries.

Unless there's a coaching change-up, I see no improvement in this. And if they don't improve this then it means that no matter how good this team is offensively, it will ALWAYS be either in a track-meet or get outplayed for chunks of a game because the other team can easily rush into the zone and get a shot off. If the Caps had had better finishing yesterday then this game would've been over by the 2nd intermission because we gave them so many chances.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Great game. Really tied it down defensively for the first time this year.

Ozhiganov had his best game yet. Looked very poised with the puck and was solid defensively.

Lindholm is improving game by game. Happy to see him score his first NHL goal.

Andersen held Washington to 2 goals. Great feat. Hopefully this means he's locked in and out of October mode.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
Great game, some tough saves for Andersen and Holtby. Leafs got hemmed in a couple times, but the caps are an elite team, so you know they are going to be tough. Like all the lines, except for the blueline. Gardiner is a fantastic offensive defenceman, but the Leafs won't win if they rely on him to be in their top 4. They need another blueliner in order to take that next step.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
One thing I noticed about the Washington game is that they threw a lot of picks/interference that didnt get called. A couple of these led to some of the worst sustained pressure we faced in the game.

The D was by and large decent but looked tired at times.

Hainsey was solid again.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
leafs.png

Eat this Eller

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
A fan from another team posted on our GDT before the game said "Reality check incoming".

I thought those Cup Champions to be honest were nothing special ... they're "probably" a playoff team.

Yea, we just played against Kane and Toews. Bit of a drop off since then.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
A fan from another team posted on our GDT before the game said "Reality check incoming".

I thought those Cup Champions to be honest were nothing special ... they're "probably" a playoff team.

especially Coming off of Larkin and Athanasiou

Reactions: Duffman955

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Good win and good test.

Washington dominated most of the game physically and chances and Freddy came up big when he needed to.

Leafs were more opportunistic scoring their goals against the flow of the play, but they did carry the shot clock in the 3rd only the last 5 minutes got a little dicey.

Beating a good team is better team and confidence building then tossing up a touchdown against cellar dwellers.

2 more points for AM and 10 goals after 6 games is Sweeney Schriner record tying franchise territory. :thumbu:

230px-Sweeney_Schriner_Leafs.jpg
Way to discount the win. Also Washington didnt dominate most of the game.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He was supposed to be the guy who eats up other team's lines and cause all sorts of match- up problems. We can only blame his wingers for so long. Right now any 3C in the league can play as good as him.
4 assists in 6 games with some posts. He has been fine. Stop the "people will blame wingers" it makes you look desperate.
Remember when Kapanen isnt a top 9 player and isnt very good threads?

heybuddyhowyadoing proven wrong again.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He was supposed to be the guy who eats up other team's lines and cause all sorts of match- up problems. We can only blame his wingers for so long. Right now any 3C in the league can play as good as him.
4 assists in 6 games with some posts. He has been fine. Stop the "people will blame wingers" it makes you look desperate.
Remember when Kapanen isnt a top 9 player and isnt very good threads?

heybuddyhowyadoing proven wrong again.

Reactions: Boutette

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Would swap Brown and Johnsson.

Lindholm-Kadri-Johnsson
Leivo-Goat-Brown

I would rather get rid of Johnsson and Brown overall.

Still hoping for a Nylander signing and then a Connor Brown/Johnsson trade for a top 9 player with Size/Toughness (Ritchie/Josh Anderson types)

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I watched all the goals so far from this season and it seems like this team is so f***ing tight with each other. Everyone is always so excited when they score it’s great

Reactions: Lauro

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Anybody starting to worry about Marleau's play. If he continues to decline quickly it will be the Marlies for him next year and/or he will retire (before that happens).
No.

The whole point of the first line now, well the Matthews line, the whole point is let Matthews try to score.

One winger stays in his wing. The other winger stays on his wing. Matthews stays in the middle. Both wingers have speed to beat the defense wide or dump it in and get it back.

They have to get the puck to Matthews in the slot, and these two wingers are good at that. Better than Nylander.

Reactions: Lauro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad