GDT: Leafs at Habs Pre-season Game #5 - Saturday, September 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Probably not, hope they can find a way to keep all three on the roster. Personally I’d be more comfortable with Jones as the back up. Not sure Woll is ready if Samsonov were to go down, but he’s younger so maybe he grows into the role more this year.

So you're putting more stock in 33 yo Jones bouncing back from 5 awful seasons after a couple of preseason games? I'd think it's a much better bet to trust Woll will build on his phenomenal 21 AHL and 11 NHL games last year.

Not a huge sample size for Woll, but better than judging based on a few good games for Jones and one poor showing from Woll.

The move is to try and keep all 3, trade Jones, or waive Jones. Woll COULD be our undisputed starting goalie by the end of the year and lockdown the position for the foreseeable future... Maybe he doesn't play well/consistent enough for that to happen, but that's definitely not something you could say of Jones.

Edit: He also did a fine job of covering for Samsonov last year coming into a high-pressure playoff series.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Gotta say, I'm loving seeing some hab fans drooling over knies and saying he was easily the best looking prospect in that game and they'd love to have him.

A lot of them have had some seriously hilarious posts about him over the year trying to pump up hutson and Farrell, going on about how much better prospects they are than him because look at the stats!

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Martin Jones delivers!

What a performance. Kudos to the young guys. I thought they all did a good job.

But Martin Freakin' Jones stole the show.

A whopping 2.32 GSAx. I'm not saying the Leafs played a bad game. But if all you looked at was Corsi and Expected Goals Montreal won the game hands down.

Jones ate more rubber than you'd find in a case of chinese bubble tea.

A few teams are looking for a goaltender. Including Tampa. Might not be a bad idea trading him to them now while he's hot and extract the highest price possible while they are desperate.

Then when he comes back down to the real Jones we all know and love as the worst goalie in the league Tampa is out of the playoffs by American Thanksgiving.

Tampa and Boston missing the playoffs while Ottawa and Buffalo get in would be pretty awesome.

Go Leafs Go.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So you're putting more stock in 33 yo Jones bouncing back from 5 awful seasons after a couple of preseason games? I'd think it's a much better bet to trust Woll will build on his phenomenal 21 AHL and 11 NHL games last year.

Not a huge sample size for Woll, but better than judging based on a few good games for Jones and one poor showing from Woll.

The move is to try and keep all 3, trade Jones, or waive Jones. Woll COULD be our undisputed starting goalie by the end of the year and lockdown the position for the foreseeable future... Maybe he doesn't play well/consistent enough for that to happen, but that's definitely not something you could say of Jones.

Edit: He also did a fine job of covering for Samsonov last year coming into a high-pressure playoff series.

I don’t care about pre season. It’s abiut Jones being a veteran and having experience as a goaltender. Even last season imo playing Woll over Murray in the playoffs in a deciding game was the wrong move. His positioning on a few of the Florida goals were not great. It could be Jones or someone else they pick up later but having a vet with some back up or starting experience would be good.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Jones had a good game. No, he probably won’t get through waivers but he is a third string goalie on this team and is basically goalie injury insurance during camp. If he slides through waivers, great they have him to call up, but I’m not losing Woll to keep him. If someone like Tampa offers a draft pick to get him before the waiver list then that is great.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If a couple of players start the season on LTIR, they may be able to keep Jones through October.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Martin Jones delivers!

What a performance. Kudos to the young guys. I thought they all did a good job.

But Martin Freakin' Jones stole the show.

A whopping 2.32 GSAx. I'm not saying the Leafs played a bad game. But if all you looked at was Corsi and Expected Goals Montreal won the game hands down.

Jones ate more rubber than you'd find in a case of chinese bubble tea.

A few teams are looking for a goaltender. Including Tampa. Might not be a bad idea trading him to them now while he's hot and extract the highest price possible while they are desperate.

Then when he comes back down to the real Jones we all know and love as the worst goalie in the league Tampa is out of the playoffs by American Thanksgiving.

Tampa and Boston missing the playoffs while Ottawa and Buffalo get in would be pretty awesome.

Go Leafs Go.
So how much cap space would Samsonov save? 3.5$ Seems like that would solve a lot of roster challenges.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
The exhibition overreactions are incredible.

Now we have someone actually suggesting we waive Woll to keep Martin Jones.

The same Martin Jones who has a combined .895 save percentage over the last 5 years. The same Martin Jones who hasn't had a decent season since 2018.

I love this place.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
What were you looking for from Niemela? He’s just cutting his teeth in the NHL.

He was always going to be a rookie Marlie player next season and I think he has acquitted himself just fine in his games thus far.

Not sure what you were expecting of Benoit, considering it was his first game on a new team, and has been injured for the entirety of training camp thus far. He came in already behind the others.

I saw him blocking shots, clearing the crease and scrumming after the whistle. He brings some of what we are going to be sorely missing without Schenn.

He and McCabe are the only defenders we have who make life remotely difficult for the other team, and this bothers you?

Would much rather have Benoit than a washed Giordano going into the season.

I liked what Benoit has shown so far and he could actually be a very good 3rd pairing LHD for us, at a very decent cap hit.
Settle down cowboy, I didn’t say either are useless or won’t be useful players for us at some point. Neither impressed me THIS game. Niemala obviously needs a year with the Marlies, and Benoit still has to prove his worth to this team. There’s a reason a crap team like Anaheim didn’t sign him.

• Haha
Reactions: LeafSteel

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Gotta say, I'm loving seeing some hab fans drooling over knies and saying he was easily the best looking prospect in that game and they'd love to have him.

A lot of them have had some seriously hilarious posts about him over the year trying to pump up hutson and Farrell, going on about how much better prospects they are than him because look at the stats!
Knies is beautiful. He looks like a hockey player and if they develop him properly he can be a force. I see him as a solid, responsible, intelligent player that will consistently score 25+

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
This game does nothing for the non-existent Woll vs Jones debate (that I knew would needlessly get started the moment Jones was signed). All this does maybe is increase the round by 1 of the pick Colorado/Tampa is offering Tre for Jones.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If he could also provide quality minutes on the pk as well that would be chefs kiss.
That’s the “responsibility” I’m thinking about. He showed some promise last night. I still maintain that skilled players should be able to defend and it’s just a decision to commit to it.

Reactions: francis246

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Knies is beautiful. He looks like a hockey player and if they develop him properly he can be a force. I see him as a solid, responsible, intelligent player that will consistently score 25+
He’s way better than I thought. Looks like he’s had a great summer

I've already seen some suggest after this game they would be "more comfortable with Jones as backup."
Wasn’t that just one person?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I've already seen some suggest after this game they would be "more comfortable with Jones as backup."

I can only speak for myself not others but I’ve felt that way for the past 2/3 season. The leafs need a veteran. Maybe Jones isn’t the greatest one, that’s fair. But our goaltending has been so questionable the last few seasons it would be nice to have 3 options. Even last year we trade for a guy like Murray in the event the starter goes down in the playoffs he has experience. We didn’t even use him.

I’m all for Developing a young guy like Woll, but it wouldnt hurt to have a veteran with experience you can lean on if the starter goes down. And then your legit starter.

I just worry about us having to go Woll/Hildenby or Woll/Petruzzelli for an extended period of time then having to use an asset to get another goalie again.

That’s the “responsibility” I’m thinking about. He showed some promise last night. I still maintain that skilled players should be able to defend and it’s just a decision to commit to it.

I really think he’s going to be everything we wanted out of Zach Hyman and more. Solid two-way forward who can kill penalties, forecheck, win puck battles and score. I do miss Hyman tho haha.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He’s way better than I thought. Looks like he’s had a great summer
I never take the time to watch Junior or College hockey so I have no idea about prospects. This kid looks like he can play. I suspect he’ll hit a wall at some point this season playing an 82 game season, so we’ll see how fights through it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I never take the time to watch Junior or College hockey so I have no idea about prospects. This kid looks like he can play. I suspect he’ll hit a wall at some point this season playing an 82 game season, so we’ll see how fights through it.
He has a lot higher skill than I thought. I’m the same though, don’t really follow prospects or picks, subsequently I rarely discuss them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad