Pre-Game Talk: Leafs at Ducks Nov. 28th 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ducks have been sneaky good this year and Gibson is Vezina caliber. Interested to see Zegras and Drysdale up close but obviously would also prefer the Leafs just shut them down and roll into the the "big" Colorado game on a high.

Reactions: Rocker13

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I'd still rather have Semyonov in there over Clifford. Other than subbing in for an injured Simmons, he really shouldn't see the lineup.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Dude is Holl-ful. Was not tested last game, but still managed to look shaky as hell. Imo, not an NHL defenceman even as a 6-7.
Judging on how a D looks is not how they are graded.

Since Holl was re-inserted in the lineup, the Leafs are 8-1 with 28 GF and 11 GA - in 9 games. When Holl was sitting, the Leafs went 4-1 with 17GF and 12GA.

The reality is, the Leafs are a better team with Holl in the lineup than someone else in his place.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Since Holl was re-inserted in the lineup, the Leafs are 8-1 with 28 GF and 11 GA - in 9 games. When Holl was sitting, the Leafs went 4-1 with 17GF and 12GA.

The reality is, the Leafs are a better team with Holl in the lineup than someone else in his place.

Holl has been solid, but I think we would be fine just using Dermott and Liljegren full time.

If we could add a good #7 and get a proper return for Holl, we can probably afford to move him at this point.

Reactions: wingman75

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Bunting-Matthews-Marner line that has the potential to be one of the greatest lines in Maple Leafs history.

Serious here, not joking around. That's Tiger-Sittler-Macdonald good or better.

Bunting seems to have good hands, he can pass the puck. He's a grinder type of player, like a smaller version of Simmons in his prime.

The only guess I can think of Matthews and Marner, now they seem they are playing not to score, instead of always trying to score. They just play.

After being reunited Matthews and Marner this season, after three games back together, 5 on 5 it was unremarkable.

Maybe they changed after that 2-1 game, forget who they played, but it was 2-0 and Matthews and Marner get scored on, by the other team's 4th line. That was kind of funny, but the Leafs still win.

Matthews and Marner do not have to score 5 on 5, and this team will still win. The pressure is totally off.

Maybe they realize the pressure to score every shift is off, and now they just play? Last few games of Matthews and Marner best I have ever seen.

:nopity:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I'd still rather have Semyonov in there over Clifford. Other than subbing in for an injured Simmons, he really shouldn't see the lineup.

We haven't even seen Clifford play this year and we're already going with takes like this?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Holl has been solid, but I think we would be fine just using Dermott and Liljegren full time.

If we could add a good #7 and get a proper return for Holl, we can probably afford to move him at this point.
With Covid outbreaks possible at any time (and lack of significant D injuries to date), it is far too premature to look at moving anyone. One thing stats cannot do at all is predict chemistry.....

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Matthews with Marner, what I believe that in the past, 5 on 5, the puck stops moving in the offensive. Not sure why that was the case, but that was what I remember seeing.

In the offensive zone, the puck would wind up on Marner's stick, and it stops moving.

Now it is not like that, the puck is always moving, and that is creating havoc.

:hyper:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
With Covid outbreaks possible at any time (and lack of significant D injuries to date), it is far too premature to look at moving anyone. One thing stats cannot do at all is predict chemistry.....

We are going to need to move someone in about 2 weeks anyways.

Engvall would be my first choice, because he is the easiest to replace with what we currently have.

However, Holl is easily my second choice.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I do hope and expect Liljegren and Dermott to be upgrades over Holl in due time. However, I'd still be hesitant to deem the Leafs a better team if plugging either into his role at the moment.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
The fact that during the practice questions Keefe very quickly want d to move on from the Kase questions worried me a bit, hopefully not much to it

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021

Genuinely curious if you think Leafs wouldn't have those numbers if Holl was scratched.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I refuse to believe Justin Holl is responsible for an 11 goal increase in offensive production

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I refuse to believe Justin Holl is responsible for an 11 goal increase in offensive production
He's not. The results the Leafs are putting up since he came in seem to me to have way more to do with goaltending and the top six waking up a little bit. He's been better but still clearly a contender for the weak link back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad