News Article: Leafs approached Kings prospect Nikolai Prokhorkin about coming to the NHL

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Depending on when the Kings lose his rights, he could still be a trade target. If he wants to wait until his contract is over, he could come over at 25. If they have his rights until he is 26 or 27 that would give them some time to negotiate. Obviously, the value wouldn't be high on an asset with that intention. But, he could be another bullet in the chamber. Some of the guys the Leafs don't intend to sign could be swapped for his rights.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I guess the likely thing is that LA has tried, and he hasn't shown any interest in coming back any time soon. If he's coming over in two years, I guess they'll likely have lost the rights to him, so no reason for LA to deny other teams the chance to talk with him.

Ahh makes sense. Does LA even have any russians on the roster? With Komarov, Soshnikov, and Saitsev I suppose that's a draw to attract Russian free agent talent..

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
What do you mean by fell?

I'm assuming he meant fell due to the fear that he'd never stay in North America. Pretty common with Russian prospects. From what I remember Tarasenko was seen as being worthy of a top ten pick but due to his passport, fell in the draft. Again, pretty common with Russian prospects. Saw the same with Kuznetsov. These guys were both great prospects but nobody would gamble a top pick on them. Gotta wonder what happens when the next great Russian prospects comes along. Will anybody be willing to use a top 5 pick on one? It's hard to see
Tbh

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Depending on when the Kings lose his rights, he could still be a trade target. If he wants to wait until his contract is over, he could come over at 25. If they have his rights until he is 26 or 27 that would give them some time to negotiate. Obviously, the value wouldn't be high on an asset with that intention. But, he could be another bullet in the chamber. Some of the guys the Leafs don't intend to sign could be swapped for his rights.

Prokhorkin signed in Russia and thus invalidating the contract with LA, so I think they should lose his rights after this season. Not absolutely sure though.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I'm assuming he meant fell due to the fear that he'd never stay in North America. Pretty common with Russian prospects. From what I remember Tarasenko was seen as being worthy of a top ten pick but due to his passport, fell in the draft. Again, pretty common with Russian prospects. Saw the same with Kuznetsov. These guys were both great prospects but nobody would gamble a top pick on them. Gotta wonder what happens when the next great Russian prospects comes along. Will anybody be willing to use a top 5 pick on one? It's hard to see
Tbh

If it's a Malkin or Ovechkin-level talent I don't think there would be any issues using a top pick, nor would there be any issues w/ the player's desire to come to the NHL as they are almost guaranteed to make more money there.

For players a notch down out of the top 10 or even 5, Russian players maybe see it as a bigger risk building their reputation in the NHL for their ELC, but not getting that $5m+ paycheque after. Then they come to Russia and build a new reputation.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The Oilers did the same thing at the trade deadline. We were told a trade fell apart because Prokhorkin didn't want to come to North America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad