Friedman: Leafs and Oilers interested in Gavrikov

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gotta think it's a 1st + a mid-tier prospect

It will be similar to the Chiarot return. That was a very late 1st and B prospect. The unprotected 1st was due to default cause the 2023 1st was top 10 protected but the Panthers traded the 2024 1st for Giroux so the Habs got the 2023 1st by default. Now I believe the Flyers have the Panthers 2024 1st unprotected cause they traded the 2025th 1st for Tkachuk.

Gavrikov is trending good like Chiarot did last year. Similar big boys that have mobility and play physical. Trending well in the last year of their deal heading towards the deadline on a bottom 5 team.

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
Problem I see of the Oilers side is he isn't outplaying any of the current LD Oilers .. but even Kulak is having a b tter defensive season then he is .. someone will pay a steep price and have the same dad face Zito did after overpaying for Big Ben

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How about an extended Gavrikov for Bouchard + Puljujarvi

Bouch joins Boqvist and Foudy from his London team and Pulju joins his buddy Laine from ....
Fortnite
I don't think that works for the Jackets. Bouchard's skillset is going in the wrong direction w/r/t what we need.

• Haha
Reactions: ManByng

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well, I did say 'extended' so not a UFA... But oh well
Sorry, missed that. Extended isn't as bad. Still not sure about the valuation on it, but yes, extended makes it easier to swallow.

I've mused about whether trading Bouchard is the right move or not as well. His upside is so high, it could really bite us to move him, but we're also at the point where we can't be bringing kids along if they are going to stagnate. We are in win-now mode, and right now we have 2/7 rookie defensemen in the lineup. Having a 3rd whose development is stagnating a bit this season doesn't help us. I'm hoping its just a down year and that he rebounds next year.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I think he improved recently, might have gotten used to a top 2 role, I think even his JFresh card numbers improved.

He’d be a perfect defense oriented top 4 player for any contending team

I hope he doesn’t go to the Leafs. They don’t respect Russian players that contribute; see Mikheyev, Lyubushkin
UFAs who asked for more money, than the Leafs could afford is disrespect?:skeptic:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oilers have been linked to Gavrikov for a while.

I mean, there’s a decent amount of guys like Gavrikov, Schenn, Gudas, Edmundson, etc. that are potentially available and fill a need. Hopefully Holland quits sitting on his hands and makes a move.

The Oilers are playing quite well lately but a depth middle pairing physical D man or two is necessary heading down the stretch.

Good thing there appears to be a number of decent choices this year.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

I mean, there’s a decent amount of guys like Gavrikov, Schenn, Gudas, Edmundson, etc. that are potentially available and fill a need. Hopefully Holland quits sitting on his hands and makes a move.

The Oilers are playing quite well lately but a depth middle pairing physical D man or two is necessary heading down the stretch.

Agreed. Time is now. Add a 2nd pairing LD and, vet 3C maybe even another 6/7/8 vet guy so the team doesn't burn out or struggle with depth from injuries.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It makes total sense that Toronto is interested in acquiring Gavrikov, as they should be he would make them better.

That being said if he's going to cost a 1st+ I'd rather they use those assets on a top 6 forward.

They came 1 goal away from beating Tampa if they had 1 more finisher they win that series go get a finisher there is more offensive talent available now than there has been in 20 years.

Go get a finisher

Reactions: D00bis

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The leafs have won zero rounds and are going into extension talks with Matthews this summer. They should be the most desperate team in the nhl.
It's sad you would oversimplify the situation just so you could insert hatred of the Leafs. The Leafs cant get everyone and don't need everything so why not try and make an intelligent contribution?

Classic Leaf bash.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It makes total sense that Toronto is interested in acquiring Gavrikov, as they should be he would make them better.

That being said if he's going to cost a 1st+ I'd rather they use those assets on a top 6 forward.

They came 1 goal away from beating Tampa if they had 1 more finisher they win that series go get a finisher there is more offensive talent available now than there has been in 20 years.

Go get a finisher
One goal away can go on both side... like not giving up 4 goal game 6

And now lost muzzin and didn't have anybody to replace what he was doing...

the biggest need is to replace him

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He probably does. Everyone expected Manson to get a 1st too though.

Chiarot was the big price for some reason all last year and he got that easily.

Gavrikov is better and a great longterm option for acquiring team given his age/skills.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Chiarot was the big price for some reason all last year and he got that easily.

Gavrikov is better and a great longterm option for acquiring team given his age/skills.
I don't know if the long term option comes into play here, given that he is a UFA. He's easily worth a first if a team is confident they can re-sign him though, I agree there.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If they want to add a defenseman, it’s him or Sandin.

i hope this isn’t going to turn into another one of these silly main board Leafs fans calling for Holl to be the one out.
of course it will and it is, LeaFland is locked tightly into the narrative bubble that keeps whispering all kinds of weird things in their other ear

Its a high price for Gavrikov and one that may be worth it, but only if certain needs can be addressed in an extended deal

1 extension of Gavrikovs contract this the most important if the Leafs have to include a 1st
2 Jack Roslovic is made available, I have a feeling he'd look pretty sharp with JT and MM, they'd possibly be able to get the absolute best out of him

1st 2024(top 15 protected) Kerfoot Knies Sandin

• Haha
Reactions: domi28

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Gavrikov is trending good like Chiarot did last year. Similar big boys that have mobility and play physical. Trending well in the last year of their deal heading towards the deadline on a bottom 5 team.
i think gavrikov gets mischaracterized a lot as a "physical" defenseman because of his size and his reputation as a shutdown guy. but i think that reputation would be a lot different if he played on a better team.

people equate 'physical' with 'hitting' – through that lens, i wouldn't call him physical. instead, i'd characterize him as sturdy. he doesn't hesitate to get in front of shots and he does use his size in board battles, but his defense comes from his stickwork and positioning.

the other thing that he has over guys like chiarot and savard is that he's actually very mobile (especially for his size). his footspeed is really good and he's had some nice moments jumping into the rush and pinching on the o-zone.

How about an extended Gavrikov for Bouchard + Puljujarvi
I don't think that works for the Jackets. Bouchard's skillset is going in the wrong direction w/r/t what we need.
i don't follow the oilers super closely, but i'm surprised to see his name floated here. if he's on the table for an extended gavrikov, i'd be all over that from the cbj side.

for the jackets, the 'what we need' discussion is skewed by an overestimation of the number of current pieces that will still be here when the team is competitive again. the goal should be identifying and building a core, and bouchard is far more likely to be part of that than boqvist/peeke/blankenburg.

acquiring him would certainly complicate what's already a logjam at RHD, but he's better than the alternatives. then, long-term, they build the defense around werenski, jiricek and bouchard. if a svozil or mateychuk pans out, even better.

Reactions: Fro and Kelly

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yeah it's gonna be interesting to see what impact that has on the market prices because no one is in a desperate hurry, it's a bit of a mexican standoff

TOR, EDM, LAK amongst several others--could absolutely USE an LHD, but while it would make them better, is it a desperate need? I don't see any of those GMs paying a premium.

Gavrikov, Chychrun, Edmundson, etc--there are quite a few guys available taht can fill needs that in some markets would soften the price, but I also dont' see any of those GMs NEEDING to move them either--the returns would be nice but not great and it would be a tough pill to settle for less than past prices but similar in the opposite direction for the GMs looking to acquire these players.

I'm starting to think no one wants to be the one to set the market.

Reactions: snipes

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
1 extension of Gavrikovs contract this the most important if the Leafs have to include a 1st
2 Jack Roslovic is made available, I have a feeling he'd look pretty sharp with JT and MM, they'd possibly be able to get the absolute best out of him

1st 2024(top 15 protected) Kerfoot Knies Sandin
aside from the idea of getting bouchard from edmonton this deal would probably be my preference, especially if they can get the pick changed to a 2023 by retaining on jack's deal or something.

sandin isn't big but he'd be a nice player to shore up the left side of our defense (which takes a hit with gavrikov leaving), and while we already have a ton of wings, knies brings a physicality that we're lacking. kerfoot doesn't really move the needle, but if they like him he can be another body at center, and if not they can retain/flip him before the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad