Friedman: Leafs and Oilers interested in Gavrikov

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Leafs are desperate to get Liljegren out of their line up. He stinks.
Hopefully this is dripping with Sarcasm. If Muzzin is done and this guy is willing to sign a long term deal at a reasonable clip I would be down.

Rielly Liljegren
Gav Brodie
Sandin Holl
Gio Timmins

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
He’s getting a first minimum. Wondering if the jackets can somehow get a second as well from someone
A good playoff add, steady defensive, physichal tolerate D. Those D is what competing teams wants to cover up for the over offensive guys in their team.
While Arizona is overpricing Chuchryn, I think Gavrikov is the most interresting name out there, teams has grown tired of Arizonas ask. So I think that Gavrikov should net a 1st + a 3rd, OR a 1st + a decent roosterplayer/prospect.
I think competing teams want to trade picks before assets.

He should net a 1st at least.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Hopefully this is dripping with Sarcasm. If Muzzin is done and this guy is willing to sign a long term deal at a reasonable clip I would be down.

Rielly Liljegren
Gav Brodie
Sandin Holl
Gio Timmins
Oh god, here it is.

it’s like some of you have never paid attention. Gio out? Holl on the 3rd pair? Never going To happen. This might your wish for reasons no one could ever understand but this would never be what the Leafs would do.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
He's the type of d-man the leafs need for sure. But it'll cost. Leafs would be idiotic to move on from Lilly or Sandin at this point. Their development has taken some very noticeable strides the last couple years. They could be anchors back there for years.

Not sure how popular it is but Rielly is who'd I'd like to see moved. He's an incredible player, but not the type the leafs need at this time. They have multiple guys who can move the puck well enough who are younger and cost controlled. It looks like Nylander has taken quite the step as well. They'll need to find money for him if they plan on keeping him.

It also looks like Samsonov is running with the ball in net. Murray at 4.5 will sting next year. What do they get Samsonov for as an RFA next year?

From a cap stand point and current roster structure it would make sense to move Rielly. I don't know if CBJ would be interested in something around that but maybe a 3rd team gets involved. I also don't know much about Mo's no trade or no move, so that complicates things as well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He's the type of d-man the leafs need for sure. But it'll cost. Leafs would be idiotic to move on from Lilly or Sandin at this point. Their development has taken some very noticeable strides the last couple years. They could be anchors back there for years.

Not sure how popular it is but Rielly is who'd I'd like to see moved. He's an incredible player, but not the type the leafs need at this time. They have multiple guys who can move the puck well enough who are younger and cost controlled. It looks like Nylander has taken quite the step as well. They'll need to find money for him if they plan on keeping him.

It also looks like Samsonov is running with the ball in net. Murray at 4.5 will sting next year. What do they get Samsonov for as an RFA next year?

From a cap stand point and current roster structure it would make sense to move Rielly. I don't know if CBJ would be interested in something around that but maybe a 3rd team gets involved. I also don't know much about Mo's no trade or no move, so that complicates things as well.
You'd likely have to get a third team involved, because unless it's Gav for Rielly straight up (omfglol), the value proposition isn't there for the Jackets. It's going in the wrong direction given the skillset we're trying to replace as a result of losing Gav, so we'd not want to pay the adds necessary to cover the value gap. And we've already got Werenski...

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
The price of let's say a 1st and 3rd is fair indeed, but the hope is Gavrikov could be extended, which I assume would be a thing if this trade were made. Otherwise, I'd think it would be smarter to use a higher-priced asset such as a 1st on a forward.

Not saying Gavrikov isn't worth it or won't make an impact. I just think the way things are with the Leafs, especially when considering short-term impact, a forward would make more sense at that same price point.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Oh god, here it is.

it’s like some of you have never paid attention. Gio out? Holl on the 3rd pair? Never going To happen. This might your wish for reasons no one could ever understand but this would never be what the Leafs would do.
Holl is a 5/6 D man on a SC team. Each pairing has a PMD and one who can focus D. By moving Holl to the third line you can cut his minutes down and play against easier competition.

As for Gio he likely slide in some games for Sandin and PK.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As per 32 thoughts intermission report.
this is not knew

first reported about 2 months ago.. my Guess is BJS did not like the offers they were getting so they decided to remind teams they were still trying to move the guy. The reports from November was that the BJS were asking for a 1st and top prospect for the soon to be UFA

Reactions: koteka

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Holl is a 5/6 D man on a SC team. Each pairing has a PMD and one who can focus D. By moving Holl to the third line you can cut his minutes down and play against easier competition.

As for Gio he likely slide in some games for Sandin and PK.
Such a weird thought. The Leafs aren't a SC team? The Leafs are 5th in GA/G and you want to drop Holl, the Leafs 2D (occasional 1D) of a Cup contender (we can disagree on that) and you want to kick him out of the top 4 all together for the 2D of a non playoff contender.

Then for some reason you expect the Leafs to move Timmy who has been playing bottom pair to the top pair Over Gio who always plays more than Timmy and remove Gio from the line up all together.

This is some 4D chess. Let's take the 5th best GA/G in the league and turn it on its head. Amazing. All because you hope younger players might accomplish what is already being done.

Maybe you are right and the Leafs coaching Staff and management are all wrong and you are right. I wouldn't bet on it. I'd bet even more that they would laugh at the idea. It would never happen. If they get Gavorikov either Sandi or Timmy hit the press box and the only rotation will be between the two of them. There is zero evidence to think otherwise. These two are competing with Timmons for the bottom pair not with Gio or (haha) Holl in the top 4.

You can continue to disagree but you're not disagreeing with me you are disagreeing with the Leafs.

Reactions: thusk

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
No fair. Oiler fans were obsessing about him first
To be fair the Oilers have indeed been interested in Garikov but also Karlsson, Edmonston, Ekholm, Chychrun and anyone else that could be available! One of these guys would be acceptable ! May as well throw in Gus while the Jackets are at it, I heard the Oilers are interested in him too !

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Such a weird thought. The Leafs aren't a SC team? The Leafs are 5th in GA/G and you want to drop Holl, the Leafs 2D (occasional 1D) of a Cup contender (we can disagree on that) and you want to kick him out of the top 4 all together for the 2D of a non playoff contender.

Then for some reason you expect the Leafs to move Timmy who has been playing bottom pair to the top pair Over Gio who always plays more than Timmy and remove Gio from the line up all together.

This is some 4D chess. Let's take the 5th best GA/G in the league and turn it on its head. Amazing. All because you hope younger players might accomplish what is already being done.

Maybe you are right and the Leafs coaching Staff and management are all wrong and you are right. I wouldn't bet on it. I'd bet even more that they would laugh at the idea. It would never happen. If they get Gavorikov either Sandi or Timmy hit the press box and the only rotation will be between the two of them. There is zero evidence to think otherwise. These two are competing with Timmons for the bottom pair not with Gio or (haha) Holl in the top 4.

You can continue to disagree but you're not disagreeing with me you are disagreeing with the Leafs.
I was at the game last night, Liljegren was playing with Reilly and his underlying stats are some of the best if not best on the team from a defensive standpoint and goals for while he is playing.

Holl is trash and to say otherwise is just being a homer. Gio has been a beast all season but he shouldn’t be playing top pairing minutes and under less stressful competition would be even better. if we had Gavrikov he plays above Gio and if any of the LHD get hurt Gio slides in. It would be a luxury to add him to the team but Gio is almost 40 and Father Time is undefeated. I suspect he becomes our 7th D man next year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
How about an extended Gavrikov for Bouchard + Puljujarvi

Bouch joins Boqvist and Foudy from his London team and Pulju joins his buddy Laine from ....
Fortnite

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The Oilers should have the motivation to be top bidders on Gavrikov. They've got the more obvious need and a relative wealth of futures assets, plus relatively easily-manufactured Cap space. If they add 2 of the top deadline D, they could elevate into real contention. GM should pull out all the stop to make that happen.

Whereas the Leafs are already pretty good defensively, already contenders, and even if people dream of upgrading how the personnel look "on paper", the reality is they don't actually NEED the help as desperately as the Oilers do.
The leafs have won zero rounds and are going into extension talks with Matthews this summer. They should be the most desperate team in the nhl.

Reactions: Just Linda

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I was at the game last night, Liljegren was playing with Reilly and his underlying stats are some of the best if not best on the team from a defensive standpoint and goals for while he is playing.

Holl is trash and to say otherwise is just being a homer. Gio has been a beast all season but he shouldn’t be playing top pairing minutes and under less stressful competition would be even better. if we had Gavrikov he plays above Gio and if any of the LHD get hurt Gio slides in. It would be a luxury to add him to the team but Gio is almost 40 and Father Time is undefeated. I suspect he becomes our 7th D man next year.
I'm going to frame This post just for calling me a a Leafs homer.

This has nothing to do with my feelings about Holl. It's about the facts.

Next year has nothing to do with this conversation. Adding a player to the top 6 this year doesn't push Gio out of the line up. Fact.

I'll call you a leaf hater. You clearly hate the coaching staff and their opinions that have lead this team to the 5th best GA/GP. It takes a lot of balls to believe your ideas are so much better. Again you aren't arguing with me, you are arguing against results and the Leafs coaching Staff. You just aren't living in reality. Holl is not leaving the top pair and Gio isn't leaving the line up. Literally you have provided zero logic. If they wanted Timmy on the 1st par and Holl on the 3rd they dont need Gavrikov to do it. Please explain why adding him makes that swap.

But to be honest I think you are just speaking from ignorance. Your focus on age vs reality says it all.

The leafs have won zero rounds and are going into extension talks with Matthews this summer. They should be the most desperate team in the nhl.
The Leafs defense isn't their problem, their GA is great. The problem is their forwards. If you aren't one of the BIG 4 CONTRACTS or Backboard Bunting you dont have much offense on the team. Those BIG 4 CONTRACTS have eroded the forward depth. If they are desperate for anything it should be forwards.

But I completely agree Dubas should be desperate. Which should be a little scary for Leaf fans.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Edmonton needs him more, especially if they have to face a team like the Kraken or Knights. Seriously, you need a defenseman like him.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think he improved recently, might have gotten used to a top 2 role, I think even his JFresh card numbers improved.

He’d be a perfect defense oriented top 4 player for any contending team

I hope he doesn’t go to the Leafs. They don’t respect Russian players that contribute; see Mikheyev, Lyubushkin
Yeah...we hated Mogilny, Borechevsjy, Yuskavich and of course we boo Samsonov after every home win...we loved Lyubushkin.

I hope that statement was sarcasm but either way it was silly.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad