Friedman: Leafs and Oilers interested in Gavrikov

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
of course it will and it is, LeaFland is locked tightly into the narrative bubble that keeps whispering all kinds of weird things in their other ear

Its a high price for Gavrikov and one that may be worth it, but only if certain needs can be addressed in an extended deal

1 extension of Gavrikovs contract this the most important if the Leafs have to include a 1st
2 Jack Roslovic is made available, I have a feeling he'd look pretty sharp with JT and MM, they'd possibly be able to get the absolute best out of him

1st 2024(top 15 protected) Kerfoot Knies Sandin
I don't know if the long term option comes into play here, given that he is a UFA. He's easily worth a first if a team is confident they can re-sign him though, I agree there.

Columbus allowing team to talk with gavrikov to help get a deal done

So If toronto deal for gavrikov, it will come withan extension too

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Since these rumours I have been watching Gavrikov much closer…. I don’t see it.

The Oilers recently called up a 26 year old “rookie”, Vincent Desharnais, who has worked his ass off to make the NHL and I don’t see Gavrikov being much, if any, of an improvement over him. Small sample size (Desharnais) over years of experience (Gavrikov), I get it, but he just does not impress me. He doesn’t play physical. He made quite a few mistakes &/or bad plays last night against the Flames… he made one nice stick check… we see him against the Oilers tomorrow.

Based on the games I have watched him in over the past month, to be giving up anything more than a late 2nd round pick will be a mistake by any team.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Gavrikov is a 27y legit top4.

He gets a 1st
It's more likely he gets a first if he is dealt early with an extension. There are more very interesting pieces potentially on the market this year than in most years. If you work your way through these boards there are well over a dozen players that "will get a first" and there are probably others that may get moved. This is viewed as a deep draft. I think there will be resistance from teams that are not serious contenders to move a first this year. Of course it could be a later first but there are still only so many of those that teams would commit for a rental.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
It makes total sense that Toronto is interested in acquiring Gavrikov, as they should be he would make them better.

That being said if he's going to cost a 1st+ I'd rather they use those assets on a top 6 forward.

They came 1 goal away from beating Tampa if they had 1 more finisher they win that series go get a finisher there is more offensive talent available now than there has been in 20 years.

Go get a finisher

… a finisher that shows up in the playoffs.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I am of the opinion that if the Leads add a Dman - it’s only one with some term.

So, unless he extends, I just see the Leafs trying to drive the price up and move on to other options.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think any buying team is wise to wait as long as possible. There’s been a lot of talk about the forward market being flooded and the D market not so much but from what we’ve heard the D market looks pretty robust as well.

Gavrikov, Chychrun, Dumba, Schenn, Edmundson, Ghostibhere, Klingberg, Ekholm, Provorov, Mayfield are some of the names that have been thrown around and we’re still over a month away from the deadline.

Reactions: Macheteops

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Columbus allowing team to talk with gavrikov to help get a deal done

So If toronto deal for gavrikov, it will come withan extension too
Not necessarily. If Gavrikov is absolutely set on testing free agency, he will still get traded. But the trade value goes down. I'm not saying that's what will happen, there is little actual information floating around, just speculation, but his value signed or with interest in signing with his new team is very different from his value unsigned.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Not necessarily. If Gavrikov is absolutely set on testing free agency, he will still get traded. But the trade value goes down. I'm not saying that's what will happen, there is little actual information floating around, just speculation, but his value signed or with interest in signing with his new team is very different from his value unsigned.
If he want to hit free agency, he will be trade for sure but i dont think it will be in toronto

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The Leafs have a good regular season D. As the last several years have shown when things get tighter and more physical the Leafs struggled outside of Muzzin to defend the net and win board battles. They need a physical D
We outscored the Bolts, but difference came down to the timing of the goals....and refs.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
We outscored the Bolts, but difference came down to the timing of the goals....and refs.
Blame the refs, blame the timing, blame anything but it was the same result.

The whole league sees the Leafs d as soft and not playoff capable. The past however number of seasons has shown the same thing.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't understand the fixation with this guy. Since the start of the 2020-21 season no one has been on the ice for more 5v5 GA than Gavrikov, and in fact no one else has really been that close. Now sure some of that is usage playing on a terrible team but he's playing less minutes than the Seth Jones, Ivan Provorovs, Darnell Nurses of the league. Not like he can blame it on poor goaltending either, his CF%, xGF%, SCF%, HDCF% are all terrible too.

Not exactly the kind of distinction I'd be looking for if I'm looking for a guy to shore up the defensive side of things. But I guess that's why Holland and Dubas get the big bucks.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad