Friedman: Leafs and Flames interested in JVR

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I mentioned weeks ago that he's the kind of guy the team might be interested in because he won't cost much and if @ 50%, will leave you with enough assets (1st/Knies) to still get another player. We just need to get confirmation that Muzzin is done for the season before the ball gets rolling with his 5.6 mil LTIR cap space.

Now in terms of where he fits, I really couldn't tell you. Does he go on Tavares' wing? Because Tavares and JVR are not the greatest 5 on 5 players. Does he go to the 3rd line with Kampf? Doesn't make sense since Kampfs line is supposed to be our best defensive line.

I imagine the lines would look like

JVR - Tavares - Marner/Nylander
Kerfoot - Kampf - Jarnkrok
Engvall - Holmberg - ZAR

I'm not so sure this makes the team better or tougher to play. Unless they plan on paying the piper with 1st + Knies + for Chychrun, then I guess this makes some sense.

I strangely like this suggestion. He's be pretty cheap to acquire, I'd assume. So he'd be a reasonable forward add if they decide the blueline is where they need to spend big, like Chychrun.

For an all-in season, I kind of like the idea. JVR is a lot better than people give him credit for.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
For all the talk from Leaf fans needing secondary scoring they certainly are not interested in this secondary scorer.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I strangely like this suggestion. He's be pretty cheap to acquire, I'd assume. So he'd be a reasonable forward add if they decide the blueline is where they need to spend big, like Chychrun.

For an all-in season, I kind of like the idea. JVR is a lot better than people give him credit for.

Its really the only way they can get a great defender, and still get a Top/Middle 6 forward really.

I prefer keeping Knies, though, as we haven't had a true power forward in forever and we either draft small skilled players, or big guys that become busts within a year of the draft (Biggs, Rassanen).

But if we really are going all in and we're trading him, then these type of moves would be the ones that make sense. If you go for Meier, your giving up premium assests for a rental. For Chychrun, he's got 2 more years, and JVR/Domi probably won't take a 1st or Knies to acquire.

Reactions: banks

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If I were the Leafs, I would definitely pass on JVR.

The fact that this is even a discussion makes me really concerned about Kyle Dubas' mindset.

He just doesn't get it.

That was an entire team thing

Come on, JVR was, by far, the worst defensive forward on that team (and that's saying something.) The worst part was that the issue wasn't that he was a poor defensive forward, the issue was he didn't even bother.

He was absolutely terrible defensively and was largely completely useless unless he had the puck on his stick and was inside about four feet from the net.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If I were the Leafs, I would definitely pass on JVR.

The fact that this is even a discussion makes me really concerned about Kyle Dubas' mindset.

He just doesn't get it.

Come on, JVR was, by far, the worst defensive forward on that team (and that's saying something.) The worst part was that the issue wasn't that he was a poor defensive forward, the issue was he didn't even bother.

He was absolutely terrible defensively and was largely completely useless unless he had the puck on his stick and was inside about four feet from the net.

I guess that depends, if you aret talking about his later leaf career when Matthews, Marner, Nylander etc. came in then yeah probably.

Prior to that though It was Kessel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad