Friedman: Leafs and Campbell haven't been in the same universe in contract talks all year Edmonton, NJ emerging as top suitors.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I find it crazy how people are saying the goalie market is thin.

Campbell, Gibson, Hoaltby, Flury, Georgiev, Blackwood, Riemer, Bobrovsky, Jones, etc I’d say the goalie market is pretty huge.

Ideally I’d like to see Gibson with Martin Jones/Woll/Kallgren fighting for the backup spot.
All those guys are roughly in the same tier and all have flaws, but those are generally the guys that hit the market.

With goalies though, any one can randomly have a lights out tear and make a GM look like a genius. But it’s a total roulette wheel.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Hope the Devil's get him because I want the Oilers to stay far away from him.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Average goalie that needs to play on a very good team to look good. But what are the leafs other options out there?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
If we are hell bent on giving a goalie 5M I'd rather just do it for Husso. Don't think either is worth it so it's a gamble both ways... At least Husso is three years younger. Ideally we just don't spend that much, but Ken Holland is probably going to Ken Holland.

He seems like the guy that would sit around for 3 years and not pay the price when better options were available, only to have his team hit the WCF and decide there's too much pressure to sit around doing nothing anymore...just to finally splurge, but on worse options. Chiarelli FOMO all over again.

Reactions: teddygmr

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
See ya Jack. One hot month and then the worst goalie in the league for 3 months last season ain't going to justify a huge pay increase. Good luck.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Campbell, Gibson, Hoaltby, Flury, Georgiev, Blackwood, Riemer, Bobrovsky, Jones, etc I’d say the goalie market is pretty huge.

Subtracting Cambbell (since it seems like he won't be back) your best options from that group are Gibson, who will cost a ton to acquire, and MAF, who may not want to play in Canada. If I'm a contender I sure as hell am not resting the fortunes of my crease on Georgiev, Blackwood, or Martin freakin' Jones so...

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
"Outscoring goaltending struggles" isn't really a thing if you're trying to win a cup. Could you win a round, sure. But if you can't defend at an elite level you're simply not winning the cup. Good teams eliminate the seam pass and make you generate offense north south. The Devils signing this guy makes no sense because they're light years away from competing and Jack Campbell doesn't change a thing for them.

That being said, I hope they do sign him to keep him off a contender

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don't know why this is a suprise to everyone?

There are 18 goaltenders that are making 5M+. If Kuemper and Cambell sign for above 5M that brings it up to 20.

Is Campbell a starter? Can he be a top 20 goaltender?

5x5 seems about right.

Campbell is still too unproven to get that. Keumper has played enough in the league.

Camp ell and Husso should only expect 2-3 yr contracts for decent money in the $4M+ range. If they go to the new teams and prove themselves then they get ectensions.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Campbell is just a younger, nicer Mike Smith. He can be great, but is prone to mental lapses and when he has bad stretches he's horrendous.

Toronto is one of the best scoring teams in the league, he's not going anywhere else and it getting better (when it comes to outscoring his problems)

Reactions: North Cole

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Campbell is still too unproven to get that. Keumper has played enough in the league.

Camp ell and Husso should only expect 2-3 yr contracts for decent money in the $4M+ range. If they go to the new teams and prove themselves then they get ectensions.

You could say the same about Ullmark and he still got his $5M in starter money.

Reactions: HBK27 and Dirty Dog

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
No thanks. I wouldn't commit long term to him which is likely the sticking point for him. Would rather pick up Blackwood from NJ and see if he can bounce back.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Why is Edmonton interested? Campbell isn't the goalie they need to get to the next step. lol

Reactions: North Cole

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I find it crazy how people are saying the goalie market is thin.

Ideally I’d like to see Gibson with Martin Jones/Woll/Kallgren fighting for the backup spot.

The goalie market is so huge that you have a whopping 4 UFAs on your list: Campbell, Holtby, Fleury and Martin f***ing Jones (who is god awful).

The etc isn’t very long, this is a weak and thin UFA group and there’s a lot of demand. Adding goalies under contract and a unsigned RFA to the list doesn’t change that.

Georgiev is a RFA and might or might not be available in a trade.

San Jose is a team with an excess of goalies but who knows which one they trade.

I don’t see Blackwood getting traded unless it’s for a different goalie.

Not sure Gibson gets traded at all and he has a 5 year/6.4 deal and 10 team no trade list.

I don’t see Bob’s mammoth contract getting moved.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Subtracting Cambbell (since it seems like he won't be back) your best options from that group are Gibson, who will cost a ton to acquire, and MAF, who may not want to play in Canada. If I'm a contender I sure as hell am not resting the fortunes of my crease on Georgiev, Blackwood, or Martin freakin' Jones so...
Blackwood and Hoaltby wouldn’t be a awful tandem

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
My feelings on Campbell are out there I don't think he's the guy I think he would be a better fir in Edmonton because Mcdavid and Draisatil score enough to cover for him when he struggles and he will struggle at some point he has stretches where he's great but when he struggles he struggles BAD.

Edmonton can cover for that with their offense.
Did Toronto not score 25 more goals than Edmonton this year?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I could see Fitz going into the season with Campbell and Blackwood as a tandem. I think between them it could work, but I'm not that sold on Campbell.

Reactions: HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad