Friedman: Leafs and Campbell haven't been in the same universe in contract talks all year Edmonton, NJ emerging as top suitors.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
32 thoughts podcast Elliott said he has heard that the Leafs and Campbell have not been in the same universe in terms of contract all season long and that it shut down talks and as of today they still aren't even talking, the two teams mentioned fotr Jack were the Oilers and Devils.

My feelings on Campbell are out there I don't think he's the guy I think he would be a better fir in Edmonton because Mcdavid and Draisatil score enough to cover for him when he struggles and he will struggle at some point he has stretches where he's great but when he struggles he struggles BAD.

Edmonton can cover for that with their offense.

NJ doesn't have the offense to bail him out, I don't think NJ is the spot for him, they need a guy that can steal games and he can't do it. v

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
NJ’s offense is fine especially when healthy. For a while, around mid season, it seemed they had no issues putting up 6-7 goals per game. Their defense is what’s questionable.

Devils are desperate for goaltending. They’ll be overpaying whoever they acquire.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
NJ’s offense is fine especially when healthy. For a while, around mid season, it seemed they had no issues putting up 6-7 goals per game. Their defense is what’s questionable.

Devils are desperate for goaltending. They’ll be overpaying whoever they acquire.

I just don't think NJ could outscore his struggles.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Jack is a good goalie but not a guy I would want to sign long term. He showed this year how mentality fragile he is after going from a Vezina candidate to one of the league's worst within months. When he loses his confidence it's hard for him to get it back. Not the kind of goalie you want for 4 - 5 years, especially for a contending team.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s a flawed goalie but then so are most of the other available goalies. I think he’ll have lots of teams interested based solely on supply and demand. I wouldn’t want to sign him long term but teams who lack a starter and want to compete for the next few years may have no better options.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Campbell was solid in last playoffs but I don't trust him on multiple levels. Ideally a backup who spotlights as #1 occasionally.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Given the current market for goalies and the supply vs demand, I don't understand why the leafs are playing hardball.

In all honesty there is a universe this summer where things go south quickly and Toronto doesn't even see an upgrade on Campbell and will be relying on Mrazek and a question mark in goal.

Campbell had shown what he's capable of, unless he's seeking 5 plus for 7 years I don't get why they can't find some common ground.

4-5 for 4 to 5 years is fair and reasonable for what he's done, unload Mrazek thats 2.8 and find a young backup with starter potential like Blackwood.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Given the current market for goalies and the supply vs demand, I don't understand why the leafs are playing hardball.

In all honesty there is a universe this summer where things go south quickly and Toronto doesn't even see an upgrade on Campbell and will be relying on Mrazek and a question mark in goal.

Campbell had shown what he's capable of, unless he's seeking 5 plus for 7 years I don't get why they can't find some common ground.

4-5 for 4 to 5 years is fair and reasonable for what he's done, unload Mrazek thats 2.8 and find a young backup with starter potential like Blackwood.
Campbell is simply not worth that money

Reactions: cupdreaming

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Are they playing hardball when he asks for $6M? Or is it simply not entertaining a starting point that high?

Clearly they believe they have other, cheaper options via either FA or trade.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

no there isn't Mrazek will NOT be the #1 I don't know who it will be but it will not be Mrazek

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
32 thoughts podcast Elliott said he has heard that the Leafs and Campbell have not been in the same universe in terms of contract all season long and that it shut down talks and as of today they still aren't even talking, the two teams mentioned fotr Jack were the Oilers and Devils.

My feelings on Campbell are out there I don't think he's the guy I think he would be a better fir in Edmonton because Mcdavid and Draisatil score enough to cover for him when he struggles and he will struggle at some point he has stretches where he's great but when he struggles he struggles BAD.

Edmonton can cover for that with their offense.

NJ doesn't have the offense to bail him out, I don't think NJ is the spot for him, they need a guy that can steal games and he can't do it. v
I don't think Campbell is the guy, especially at his ask, but if the Leafs couldn't score enough to cover for him, then Edmonton won't be able to. And, I would argue the Leafs defence is better currently than Edmonton's. Now, when he's on his game, he can be amazing...and if he finds consistency and avoids injuries, he can be a star.....but he hasn't been able to sustain or prove that to date.

If you're talking about Edmonton vs New Jersey offence, then yes, Edmonton is a better choice for him.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Are they playing hardball when he asks for $6M? Or is it simply not entertaining a starting point that high?

Clearly they believe they have other, cheaper options via either FA or trade.
I get how negotiations work, I'm just worried the leafs are not understanding of the lack of available goaltenders. Jack is a good goalie, easily deserving of 4 to 4.5, if the leafs don't sign him they will see him thrive somewhere else.

I'm more so worried about moving in a lateral direction and instead of staying with the devil you know, we gamble on the devil we don't and things are even worse.

Either way, I would truly like the leafs to start drafting home grown goalie talent and it would be nice to get a young back up with starter potential on the pipeline.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Because they don't think he's that great. They know him very well at this point. He looks worse in the advanced stats than in his SV%. They've concluded he's not the answer but other teams are going to throw a ton of money at him.

Reactions: cupdreaming

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I find it crazy how people are saying the goalie market is thin.

Campbell, Gibson, Hoaltby, Flury, Georgiev, Blackwood, Riemer, Bobrovsky, Jones, etc I’d say the goalie market is pretty huge.

Ideally I’d like to see Gibson with Martin Jones/Woll/Kallgren fighting for the backup spot.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Goalies need to be drafted and spend time developing. The current group of nhl goalies has maybe 1 or 2 that might qualify as legit top 5 goalies year in year out who's numbers reflect that type of caliber. The nhl use to have numerous goalies whom always had a winning record to reflect top 5 or top 8 the current group is at best one offs....

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I just don't think NJ could outscore his struggles.
Their scoring should only go up over the next couple of years. They’ll be adding Holtz, Luke Hughes, whoever we draft this year, and whatever free agents they can sign.

This could be the size of the defense in front of him (not saying size means success but big bodies are always good)…

Dougie Hamilton 6’6
Kevin Bahl 6’6
Ryan Graves 6’5
Shakir Mukhamadullin 6’4
Luke Hughes 6’2
Damon Severson 6’2
Jonas Siegenthaler 6’2
Nikita Okhotyuk 6’1

Hoping they can draft Noah Warren (6’5) with their 2nd round pick this year.

Reactions: HBK27

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I don't know why this is a suprise to everyone?

There are 18 goaltenders that are making 5M+. If Kuemper and Cambell sign for above 5M that brings it up to 20.

Is Campbell a starter? Can he be a top 20 goaltender?

5x5 seems about right.
Hadn't really looked at it like that

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad