Post-Game Talk: LEAFS ADVANCE TO 2nd ROUND BABY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Matthews opening goal was damn impressive .. how he was able to quickly pivot himself around and hammer that one timer nearly bar down was a vintage Matthews goal we have not seen in previous playoffs.

Let’s hope this series is the start of his playoff greatness

It was a beastly shift, you could see it happening in real time. Just out there getting 'er done. Someone should video tribute that one shift alone, it was godly.

Good morning to the couple dozen guys and girls that were on this site the last time the Leafs won a playoff series before last night, and are still kicking around!

Can't even count myself there @Raging Bull! 17 years doesn't make the cut! I was on the official NHL chat boards, except the Leaf board didn't really work, but the Sens Board did work great, and I got myself banned, and then found HF after the lockout.

Leaf Nation gets to see Round # 2 for the 1st time in 19 years,

Woo hoo !!! :cheers:

That was an intense game.

Fun celebrating with the family last night.

Dude. Yes.

I've been married for 17 years and have a 14 year old, they've never seen me cheer like that before.

Married 15 now, 13y old and 10y old. None of them have ever seen Squiffy like this. In general I should not be around other humans watching Leaf games, I am aware of this of myself, but sucking it up doing the family thing for the playoffs. Oh it was good. The kids are old enough to be conditioned to the Leaf loss. Finally different and they can join the ride of why I do this.

I think that's the biggest thing they've learned. They used to always try for the high percentage skill plays and teams figured out how to stop it by cutting off prime passing lanes and going into a defensive shell. Columbus, Montreal, Tampa all closed out series against them like this.

They finally changed their approach and also added guys like ROR, Acciari, Knies etc who aren't afraid to go straight to the net.

Dear God yes again. It's the Oilers figuring out what it takes off the Islanders. It's a dirty greasy grind that is hard.

It may be the first time in 40 years a goalie with a .900 save% gets accused of stealing a series.

Sammy was fine, he played well in Game 6, but goaltending in this series as a whole was pretty iffy

He went Grant Fuhr though. Not the next goal.

The celebrations that followed the Maple Leafs’ first playoff series victory in 19 years were largely tame, with the exception of one fan who allegedly slapped a police horse Saturday night.

Toronto police told CTV News Toronto that the man was arrested for public intoxication after he slapped the horse on its “hindquarters.”

Neither the horse, nor the mounted officer, were injured and the man was released from 52 Division with a Provincial Offence Notice once he was sober, police said.

The celebrations at Bremner Boulevard and York Street, just outside Scotiabank Arena, carried on for about one hour after the Leafs road victory in Game 6, according to police, at which point fans were encouraged to clear the streets.

No other arrests or tickets were issued in the vicinity of Maple Leaf Square following the overtime victory in Tampa.
Stay Classy Toronto

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Just read through all day of responses, because I am not done revelling. You'll be happy to know that I made the first aid training we my daughter roughly 30s before the cut off for not being allowed in. Frigging alarm was going off this morning and of course I shut it right off, but then my wife is waking me and I'm saying "what, what do I have to do today?".

Wouldn't have cared either way, glad to not screw it up but nothing is taking the happy out of me today.

Reactions: Smif

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Imagine pulling a Boston and losing this one in a game 7... I'm glad they have the honors, and not us.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Incredible series. I think what was so Ironic about this series is that out of all of the series this core has played in the last 7 years, this one felt like the one where they were outplayed the most. That said, when push came to shove, we found ways to stay in the fight and compete when it mattered the most.

Regular season hockey and post season hockey are 2 very different brands of Hockey. If anyone understands that, it is us Leaf fans. Despite being outplayed for large portions of this series, we never stopped doing those little things that make playoff Hockey so unique. I cannot recall a series where we ever even came close to blocking that many shots TBH.

Our attention to detail was pretty well spot on for the most part. Tampa came to play, and they sure as hell didn't go out quietly. That was a fitting exit for that squad. They gave everything they had.

So proud of this team for showing the nugs to close this one off. Especially that core group. They've dealt with so much shit over the years, and I am so happy they can finally turn the page on that. This team really feels special.

Reactions: weems

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
McCabe was easily our second best overall defenceman and our best defensive defenceman.

Rielly - Schenn
McCabe - Brodie
Giordano - Liljegren

Hopefully that’s the blueline we see tomorrow night. I think we did more than fine with Holl watching from the pressbox.

Reactions: kb

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
McCabe was easily our second best overall defenceman and our best defensive defenceman.

Rielly - Schenn
McCabe - Brodie
Giordano - Liljegren

Hopefully that’s the blueline we see tomorrow night. I think we did more than fine with Holl watching from the pressbox.

Only 1 goal allowed on the road against a desperate Tampa team that was coming for us, I’d say that is pretty impressive!

Reactions: seventieslord

Statsman1

Oct 31, 2014
I went and read the Bruins and the Avalanche GDTs and the aftermath, and they should be required viewing for everyone who trolled the Leafs and mocked the suffering of Leafs fans for the past failures.

Those fans are suffering, outlining how we felt at the completion of every round 1 In the last few years. The reasons they find, the excuses they make, the anger they feel - it’s all SO familiar!!

There is a small part of me that, perhaps, gains some satisfaction from that (”See? Now you know how it feels!”), but really, I just see how we all felt, and they get to have their time to circle the wagons and lick their wounds. It’s one thing to cheer for your team, but I never really understood the need to kick another fan in the pants when their team craters.

And so far, 2023 also makes me happy that I never stopped loving the Leafs, despite the heartache. I might have wanted to find another team during the tough times, I might have threatened to start rooting for another franchise, but that was the hurt talking. There was never any chance I was going anywhere.

I bet almost all of us feel the same way.

Go Leafs Go!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I went and read the Bruins and the Avalanche GDTs and the aftermath, and they should be required viewing for everyone who trolled the Leafs and mocked the suffering of Leafs fans for the past failures.

Those fans are suffering, outlining how we felt at the completion of every round 1 In the last few years. The reasons they find, the excuses they make, the anger they feel - it’s all SO familiar!!

There is a small part of me that, perhaps, gains some satisfaction from that (”See? Now you know how it feels!”), but really, I just see how we all felt, and they get to have their time to circle the wagons and lick their wounds. It’s one thing to cheer for your team, but I never really understood the need to kick another fan in the pants when their team craters.

And so far, 2023 also makes me happy that I never stopped loving the Leafs, despite the heartache. I might have wanted to find another team during the tough times, I might have threatened to start rooting for another franchise, but that was the hurt talking. There was never any chance I was going anywhere.

I bet almost all of us feel the same way.

Go Leafs Go!

They'll never know how it feels or even come close to real hard break. They've had cups and many times they've been able to cheer a series win. They can feel sad and anger today like any fan of course but that doesn't come close to what a Leaf fan has endured since 2004.

I have zero sympathy just like they had no sympathy for a Leafs fan.

Reactions: seventieslord

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Rielly - Schenn
McCabe - Brodie
Giordano - Liljegren

This needs to be the D for round 2. There needs to be mobility on the back end against the Kittys.

Reactions: Obo and TMLAM34

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I've almost sobered up now and remembered two things about the win.

1) There was a 3 second delay before I cheered the GWG. It took me that long to realize it was really happening, my mind was looking for reasons it wouldn't count.

2) The handshake line was fantastic but maybe there wasn't anything special about it other than the fact that we were on the winning side. So much easier to see the respect and class shown when you're not crying, enraged or both.

Reactions: Lauro and Obo

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
OMG gents I am so happy I made a last minute decision to fly down for game 6 .. there were not very many of us there .. a lot of travel for 1 game .. but there were maybe a thousand of us .. big shout out to Sammy our new king for coming out after game and taking pictures with us .. same with JT well done my friend .. even you Keefer well done coach .. you made right call on Sammy and Lily and Bunting .. you did what was in teams best interest .. and all Leaf fans salute you as I told you .. and you got added respect from room too . now lets go take down some CATS .. Tuesday Thursday and then Saturday in Sunrise baby .. gonna wear out my mom but she wants to drive Alligator alley with me .. keeps her young

Statsman1

Oct 31, 2014
They'll never know how it feels or even come close to real hard break. They've had cups and many times they've been able to cheer a series win. They can feel sad and anger today like any fan of course but that doesn't come close to what a Leaf fan has endured since 2004.

I have zero sympathy just like they had no sympathy for a Leafs fan.

It isn’t about sympathy. I even said that part of me would enjoy a direct pointing-it-out to them, especially those who say that “it’s not bad enough we lost, but the Leafs won too.” I mean, come on….

Really, it’s more about how it’s easy to gloat when your team is doing well, but why is there so much enjoyment when another fanbase is suffering? It felt like half the planet enjoyed the Leafs‘ failures and our heartbreak over the last 19 years…but since one never knows when one’s own favorite team will crater, why rip on other fans?

And nobody knows what will happen. Who can say that the Bruins or Avs won’t flame out in the first round again? Could be the start of a new streak for one of those teams….you just never know.

I recognize what they are going through today, and I am happy that Leafs fans are not sharing that pain this year.

Reactions: SprDaVE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad