Rumor: Leafs Active in International Free Agent Market

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
There's gotta be a good defensive defenceman out there somewhere that is being overlooked.

With forwards, you can always look at goals and assists... but with defensive defenders, they can fly under the radar a bit, especially on a bad team.

We could even have one in Keaton Middleton and not know it. The guy owns the front of his own net, has doubled or tripped his limited offensive output, and think he was named the Caption. He would have to be able to handle a quicker game, but pretty sure bigger forwards wouldn't be a problem. Although even if he's doing great or not, is still not an immediate fix.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
We could even have one in Keaton Middleton and not know it. The guy owns the front of his own net, has doubled or tripped his limited offensive output, and think he was named the Caption. He would have to be able to handle a quicker game, but pretty sure bigger forwards wouldn't be a problem. Although even if he's doing great or not, is still not an immediate fix.

Even still, he's a ways away. We did pick up Marchenko via waivers but, obviously, we want to aim a bit higher.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thank god we are out of Burke era.

I am happy with this group, they are willing to explore all avenues. We got lucky with Zaitsev and Sosh. Why stop there?

I think most are but kind of an odd statement. Burke invented the "free wallet".

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not sure why they'd have much interest in either player. Both are in their prime years and in the case of Shipachyov, he's all ready 30 years old. It's completely different than pursuing Zaitsev, Soshnikov, Aaltonen, etc.

I guess it wouldn't hurt if they come cheap and on short-term deals. Dadonov wasn't good at all in his NHL stint with the Panthers.

Leafs will probably sign Tkachev (Ak Bars) at some point in the near future I imagine. I hope they look into a defender like Alyayev and goaltender Murygin.

Sobotka would also be a great pickup if at all possible but I believe the Blues will keep his rights as he owes them at least one more season.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm not sure why they'd have much interest in either player. Both are in their prime years and in the case of Shipachyov, he's all ready 30 years old. It's completely different than pursuing Zaitsev, Soshnikov, Aaltonen, etc.

I guess it wouldn't hurt if they come cheap and on short-term deals. Dadonov wasn't good at all in his NHL stint with the Panthers.

I don't understand why we would be going for the types of FA that would require immediate NHL roster spots, Aaltonen was ok he will fight for a spot and if doesn't make it go to the marlies these higher end guys will block very good cost controlled wingers we have ready (Kapanen, Leipsic and maybe Rychel for instance)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

An official nickname, eh?

That must bode well.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Leafs will probably sign Tkachev (Ak Bars) at some point in the near future I imagine. I hope they look into a defender like Alyayev and goaltender Murygin.

Sobotka would also be a great pickup if at all possible but I believe the Blues will keep his rights as he owes them at least one more season.

What makes you confident that they'll sign Tkachev? Does he have an interest? common agent or friend?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
An official nickname, eh?

That must bode well.

His concise but very descriptive off the cuff commentary on replays is known across the O.

Love me some Sobotka.

Sobotka-Nylander-Kapanen third line
Martin-Sobotka-Sosh/Leivo fourth line

Incredibly versatile and tenacious player.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
We know Vladimir Tkachev (Ak bars) has been rumoured.

Victor Ejdsell is the most intriguing one available though.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=29343

Ejdsell would be interesting, but is he ok possibly ending up in the AHL?

Matthews
Kadri
Bozak
Nylander( Babs said he wants him there next year)
Boyle.

Even if you keep Nylander on the Wing, or Trade Bozak not allot of room at C.
Maybe put him as a 3W? Adds a bunch of size.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I wonder why Ejdsell never got a look in the SHL this year? He played 9 and 12 games in the SHL in previous years.

That's not exactly how it works from my understanding. The team he's currently on is a professional team, that has been relegated to the Allsvenskan.

He was previously a team that had a professional SHL team, but he was mainly developing on the "junior" team.

Per a report a saw, if his current team qualifies for the SHL next year he may stay with them, or he may sign to play with an SHL team if they don't.

Players can be loaned to other teams (this is where my knowledge on the topic is really dicey) but it would not make much sense for his current team to loan him to a SHL club if they ever want to make the jump.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Ejdsell would be interesting, but is he ok possibly ending up in the AHL?

Matthews
Kadri
Bozak
Nylander( Babs said he wants him there next year)
Boyle.

Even if you keep Nylander on the Wing, or Trade Bozak not allot of room at C.
Maybe put him as a 3W? Adds a bunch of size.

Well given he's coming from Allsvenkan he probably needs to.

But another option is to loan him to a SHL team for next season. Farjestad and HV71 have been rumoured to be after him, so maybe that would work.

leafs1n67

Nov 9, 2011
Wasn't there some other Russian D men Toronto was looking into. Some 22 year old I believe it was?

darius13

May 26, 2010
Toronto
That's not exactly how it works from my understanding. The team he's currently on is a professional team, that has been relegated to the Allsvenskan.

He was previously a team that had a professional SHL team, but he was mainly developing on the "junior" team.

Per a report a saw, if his current team qualifies for the SHL next year he may stay with them, or he may sign to play with an SHL team if they don't.

Players can be loaned to other teams (this is where my knowledge on the topic is really dicey) but it would not make much sense for his current team to loan him to a SHL club if they ever want to make the jump.

Ohh I see, that makes more sense than..
Thanks for the insight brotha'

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I wonder if Voynov is a possibility. If anyone has enough influence with the league high-ups it's gotta be Lou.

Slava Voynov?

Not a chance Lou lets this guy anywhere near the ACC if he has any say in the matter.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
It's interesting when fans want players like Shipachyov when nobody wants Nail Yakupov.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, I like the sounds of that Ejdsell kid. 21-year-old 6'5, 214lb Swede with a shot? Sign me up.

How is his name pronounced? I'd-sell? Ayd-sell?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Edjsell

He is almost 22 years old and has only played a handful of games in the SHL. Just wondering about his upside if he hasn't cracked the big league in Sweden.
No, I'm not being negative. Wish him well and any team that signs him. Just that clip though, he sure looks the part of a good player.
Leafs still has cache with players in Sweden because of their Salming/Sundin connection. Could the Leafs use a big defence man? Of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad