Rumor: Leafs Active in International Free Agent Market

Inigo Montoya

Aug 29, 2008
Newmarket, ON
Just watching Leafs pre-game here - as per Elliotte Friedman from a few weeks ago, Leafs seem to be involved with everyone on the international free agent market. Key names that were pointed out were Dadonov and Shipachyov. Thoughts?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Just watching Leafs pre-game here - as per Elliotte Friedman from a few weeks ago, Leafs seem to be involved with everyone on the international free agent market. Key names that were pointed out were Dadonov and Shipachyov. Thoughts?

Thank god we are out of Burke era.

I am happy with this group, they are willing to explore all avenues. We got lucky with Zaitsev and Sosh. Why stop there?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yeah whether we sign them or not I'm just happy this management group is open to improving this team in anyway they can and in ways that we can actually exploit the amount of money that we have as an organization. There really is zero downside.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
We have a bunch of contracts coming off the books next year, would love to sign a big time UFA for a 1 year contract idc what amount. Just look at Zaitsev, what a great pickup for FREE!

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If we could sign either one of those guys it would be fantastic IMO. Adding one of them and Kapanen leaves a JVR for Dman trade that much more likely and we don't lose any offensive depth. Hell, with Kapanen in we probably improve defensively in the O-group as well with relatively minor loss offensively.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Most likely looking at goalies, especially if Sparks, McElhinney and Bibeau aren't in the cards next year. Andersen will be on the Leafs, Kaskisuo on the Marlies, and Woll likely back for Boston College. That's as far as the certainty goes.

I think the Leafs will use Sparks as the backup next year and will give Bibeau one more shot, but if they find someone else I wouldn't be surprised to see none of them brought back and the Leafs start new.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Most likely looking at goalies, especially if Sparks, McElhinney and Bibeau aren't in the cards next year. Andersen will be on the Leafs, Kaskisuo on the Marlies, and Woll likely back for Boston College. That's as far as the certainty goes.

I think the Leafs will use Sparks as the backup next year and will give Bibeau one more shot, but if they find someone else I wouldn't be surprised to see none of them brought back and the Leafs start new.

I think it might all hinge on how Kaskisou does. If he keeps playing like he did for his first 2 games and follows the season with like performance in the playoffs, it would make bibeau expendable. If he doodoo's the bed then we would have to bring both back I would think.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

I'm all for keeping mc backup

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If we were to lose Bozak to expansion then pick up shipachev, that would be huge

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
ya dig around for another zaitsev somewhere

There's gotta be a good defensive defenceman out there somewhere that is being overlooked.

With forwards, you can always look at goals and assists... but with defensive defenders, they can fly under the radar a bit, especially on a bad team.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

The more I hear about these two guys, the more it seems like they're creeping towards the Zaitsev-to-Panarin spectrum of Russian free wallets. Gusev still seems like the prize because of age, but adding good assets for free is always in style

only knocks on Shipachyov and Dadonov is age, 30 and 28. Gusev is 24, so ideally we get him next year

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Thank god we are out of Burke era.

I am happy with this group, they are willing to explore all avenues. We got lucky with Zaitsev and Sosh. Why stop there?

Lucky? I wouldn't call scouting and advanced stats "lucky", I call it hard work by a management group who give a crap about this team and it's future.

It's great to see them exploring all avenues outside of just the norm in draft and trade to build this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->