Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Luke Schenn for a 3rd round pick

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I hope Holl Brodie and Gio are learning from Schenn.

Gio is mostly age catching up though.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I LOVE what Schenn is bringing, but this feels like de ja vu all over again to his early years when we thought he was going to be Bob Probert 2.0. I'm glad he's really blossomed as a tough as nails top 6 defenseman, but we shouldn't expect him to be the lone tough guy against the Jeannots and (to a much lesser extent) Maroons of the world
Looks better than he ever did as a rookie. He plays with so much poise now, and he is a presence after every whistle that can calm things down. And his ability to clear the crease has been terrific. This is exactly what I was hoping for when they acquired him. The guy knows his limits and plays within them. Experience will do that.

Also helps that he isn't being coached by Ron Wilson and his stupid "two hands on the stick" rule.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Schenn is a 1000% necesary element in the playoffs.
Its why TB signed him and BOGO.

IMO we are still 1 grizzled tough to play against forward that would drop the gloves if necessary. Accari and Knies really helps.
I didn't like the way maroon was treating Gio game 2 and needed someone to go and have a chat with him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What's amazing is Schenn was a #7 during Tampa's cup runs .. But that experience really matured his game when he went to Vancouver and polished him in a bigger role.

And by polished I mean just so poised, knowing how to handle himself in the playoffs on the big stage.

I'm impressed.

Seems like that experience kind of rebooted his career.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t think it’s a surprise that Rielly is having the playoff run he’s having next to Schenner. You can tell he’s overall more confident playing next to a beast like Luke.

Before the comeback started there was a shift where Luke Schenn hit a guy on the left wing wall hard, I think it was 38 Hagel, then went behind the net and crushed Cirelli too. Just seemed like such a waste of all that heart but it snowballed. Not saying that started it but he never gave up.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Before the comeback started there was a shift where Luke Schenn hit a guy on the left wing wall hard, I think it was 38 Hagel, then went behind the net and crushed Cirelli too. Just seemed like such a waste of all that heart but it snowballed. Not saying that started it but he never gave up.
10 huge hits for huge Luke
You are so right on your observations
GLG

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
He seems to have perfected learning to work within his limitations over the past few years. Back in 08-12, he seemed desperate to take on the mantle of being a 'No 1', understandably given his draft pedigree and expectations (Christ, I don't even want to check if we ever had him on the PP back then), but it was occasionally outright embarrassing.

Now, he keeps it simple and has pretty impressive poise to avoid big mistakes, even if his breakout passes / clearances can leave something to be desired (he can leave that to Rielly...)

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What's amazing is Schenn was a #7 during Tampa's cup runs .. But that experience really matured his game when he went to Vancouver and polished him in a bigger role.

And by polished I mean just so poised, knowing how to handle himself in the playoffs on the big stage.

I'm impressed.
Hard not be impressed. When the rumours were floating around, I was really hoping that they would bring him back and I was thrilled when it happened. I don't think anyone expected he'd be this good though, just wow!

Last edited:
Reactions: slozo

HockeyMad68

Oct 14, 2017
Looks better than he ever did as a rookie. He plays with so much poise now, and he is a presence after every whistle that can calm things down. And his ability to clear the crease has been terrific. This is exactly what I was hoping for when they acquired him. The guy knows his limits and plays within them. Experience will do that.

Also helps that he isn't being coached by Ron Wilson and his stupid "two hands on the stick" rulle

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Schenns been a huge success so far.

I thought this guy was a #7 when we got him, but he's been blossoming in Toronto with all the pressure off his shoulders. Guys won Cups, made a decent amount of $$$, And now he's back where he started and he's looking like a playoff top 4 unintentionally.

He's the guy making it hard for Tampa to screen Sammy and every time they come around the side boards or behind the net he's erasing them off the puck.

ALSO have you guys noticed his poise this year? Like when he has the puck in a pressure situation he's ability to use his body to shield the puck then even stick handle a little to give him room before deciding whether to dump it out or make a break out pass... That wasn't in his game before.... Or atleast I thought it wasn't. I thought he would be similar to a Polak. Tough on players, stay at home D but ices the Puck any chance he gets, but he's been one of our better puck clearers and has made some pretty smart break out passes.

Got into a good bout with Jeannot too in Game 3, let him know he wasn't going to have an easy time and actually made Jeannot a complete non factor.

It's almost like Jeannot and Tampa thought that once Jeannot gets into a fight and manhandles us that we would be intimidated and crumble and they bet A prospect and 5 draft picks that would happen 😂 . Schenns stayed in there and popped him back, and even messed up Jeannot's hand punching Schenns helmet.

Absolutely perfect. Now just seal the deal and do the same to the Bruins.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
You said something that was insulting, all I did was point that out to you. You either not understanding (or pretending not to understand) that you're being rude doesn't hurt me at all. You're the one who's following me around in multiple threads, feel free to stop any time.
You took something as factual - you misunderstanding - as an insult and then when that was pointed out to you instead of accepting it you just deflected and accused me of misunderstanding. Let us not forget you found the need to reply to me twice in 2 separate threads when my posts were not in reply to you. Feel free to stop replying to my posts. I did not reply to you initially. You replied to me. For someone who has spent this much time on an online forum I did not expect you to be this sensitive to being pointed out an instance where you displayed poor comprehension.

In what world is "should not re sign him beyond a year" indicative of saying "should not re sign him beyond this year" (as if he could be re signed for this year somehow in the first place). The fact you feel the need to continue replying to me as soon as I reply without admitting it after following me around in multiple threads says a lot.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You took something as factual - you misunderstanding - as an insult and then when that was pointed out to you instead of accepting it you just deflected and accused me of misunderstanding. Let us not forget you found the need to reply to me twice in 2 separate threads when my posts were not in reply to you. Feel free to stop replying to my posts. I did not reply to you initially. You replied to me. For someone who has spent this much time on an online forum I did not expect you to be this sensitive to being pointed out an instance where you displayed poor comprehension.

In what world is "should not re sign him beyond a year" indicative of saying "should not re sign him beyond this year" (as if he could be re signed for this year somehow in the first place). The fact you feel the need to continue replying to me as soon as I reply without admitting it after following me around in multiple threads says a lot.
Saying that I respond to posts without reading them (among other things) is not factual, it's insulting. If you don't understand that much, further discussion is pointless. Have a nice day.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Schenn is a 1000% necesary element in the playoffs.
Its why TB signed him and BOGO.

IMO we are still 1 grizzled tough to play against forward that would drop the gloves if necessary. Accari and Knies really helps.
I didn't like the way maroon was treating Gio game 2 and needed someone to go and have a chat with him.

Honestly, I still kinda wished we had Bogosian in the wings still.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t think it’s a surprise that Rielly is having the playoff run he’s having next to Schenner. You can tell he’s overall more confident playing next to a beast like Luke.
Thats bc Schenn is very vocal on the ice. Reilly needs someone like that with him. Remember how good Reilly was with Hainsy.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thats bc Schenn is very vocal on the ice. Reilly needs someone like that with him. Remember how good Reilly was with Hainsy.

Schenn's bringing a unique blend of organizational pride and some alpha supervision to this group. Just someone with the credentials and fists to settle the group down.

Reactions: Kurtz

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Schenn's bringing a unique blend of organizational pride and some alpha supervision to this group. Just someone with the credentials and fists to settle the group down.
Agree, I think thats what Muz and Gio did but none of them can play with Reilly. TJ is too quiet to lead.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Saying that I respond to posts without reading them (among other things) is not factual, it's insulting. If you don't understand that much, further discussion is pointless. Have a nice day.
If your response indicates that in that particular instance you responded while misunderstanding the post then it is factual and not insulting. If you can’t as much as admit saying “shouldn’t re sign him beyond a year” is not the same thing as saying we shouldn’t re sign him which you interpreted as by your own admission then I agree dialogue isn’t too productive. Seeing your immediate reply times I doubt this is too healthy for you. Here’s to sticking to your word.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If your response indicates that in that particular instance you responded while misunderstanding the post then it is factual and not insulting. If you can’t as much as admit saying “shouldn’t re sign him beyond a year” is not the same thing as saying we shouldn’t re sign him which you interpreted as by your own admission then I agree dialogue isn’t too productive. Seeing your immediate reply times I doubt this is too healthy for you. Here’s to sticking to your word.
Again, that's just insulting. Now you're adding more insults about "reply times" which are completely random depending on what I'm doing. If you have nothing better to do then keep those insults coming I guess but to use your own words - I doubt that this is healthy for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad