Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Luke Schenn for a 3rd round pick

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
YOU GUYS SEEING THIS SH!T

Played like a #2 defenseman tonight, THIS IS A PLAYOFF TYPE OF DEFENSEMEN!.

Never would of imagined he would be this good, I know it's only a hand full of NHL games and 6 playoff games.. but hes playing like the f***in Dman Leafs wanted when they drafted him YEARS AGO!

GET THIS MAN A RING WITH A LEAF LOGO.

Rewatching this 2008 draft gives a weird feeling in retrospect, having seen the ups and downs of his career and eventually winding up in Toronto to help us break the 19 year curse. He really raises the level of his game in this series, looking more like a top pair than a bottom pair. Edmonton talks about how Ekholm is a stabilizer for Bouchard, and it feels like Schenn has done the same for Rielly.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Where the actual f*** did this guy come from.

I swear it felt like yesterday in 2008 we drafted this guy and watched him toil away in a garbage organization before performing a heist of a trade getting JVR back for him.

All of a sudden he's back in Toronto being the spitting image of every Leafs fans' fantasy about what he would become way back in 2008.

Last edited:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
What Schenn is doing for Rielly right now is exactly what he did for Hughes in Vancouver. And Hughes really struggled down the stretch without Schenn. Schenn is the exact partner Rielly needs. A stay at home physical RD.

His market value come playoff time is low key probably 4-5 million so if we can retain him at 1-1.5 million it's an under the radar bargain.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Fun fact about Schenn:

151st out of 153 defensemen with over 50 PK minutes in GA/60 on the PK this year (over 15 GA/60). VAN does get terrible PK goaltending, and the two guys worse than him are also on VAN, but his xGA also suck (131st) while OEL (152nd in GA) is 22nd in xGA and Bear (dead last) is 109th.

Holl, comparatively, is 12th in the league out of 153 defensemen with 5 GA/60 (Morgan Rielly is surprisingly 6th in the league after qualifying with enough minutes as our #5 PK defenseman) and 33rd in xGA/60.

Schenn has had some actual success running shotgun with Hughes, but his underlying numbers suck with him and away from Hughes, he is not even NHL-caliber. So there is a 3rd round pick effectively riding on him being significantly better with TOR than he was in VAN and working well with Rielly, because otherwise, he is effectively a RH version of Jordie Benn... Which puts him 9th or 10th on our healthy depth chart with Holl still on the team.

Throwing a ton of hits doesn't make up for being a terrible defenseman who is worse than 8 other guys on our depth chart.
giphy.gif

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Clearly the Buds best D man in his own zone. Calm and cool under pressure. Takes a hit, eats the puck along the boards, makes the right read almost every time. Wheels may not be great but the IQ sure is. And watching Reilly flourish with him has been great. Reilly always had the Offensive flair, but now with Schenn he can freely pick his attack spots and join the rush, knowing Schenn is back there. He also seems to be playing a much tighter D zone game when paired with Schenn, now rarely getting caught out of position,

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
There was a play in the 3rd period where he had the puck in his own zone and just reverse hit the forechecker onto his ass and then calmly passed the puck. It is so surreal to be watching Luke Schenn in a Leafs uniform again. He’s been nothing short of exactly what we needed.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I'll eat some crow on him being worse than Holl, and Giordano who were both brutal in round 1. Schenn played amazing in round 1 but I still don't think he's better than Liljegren. He does bring some aspects that we need though. Still disagree with trading for 3 D at the deadline. If McCabe and Schenn were needed then Gus wasn't.

I mostly agree with what Dubas does. The D acquisitions just seemed like a little overkill that's all. But they've made it out of round 1 so it's probably already worth it, and if they win the cup you obviously do it all exactly the same.

Last edited:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Clearly the Buds best D man in his own zone. Calm and cool under pressure. Takes a hit, eats the puck along the boards, makes the right read almost every time. Wheels may not be great but the IQ sure is. And watching Reilly flourish with him has been great. Reilly always had the Offensive flair, but now with Schenn he can freely pick his attack spots and join the rush, knowing Schenn is back there. He also seems to be playing a much tighter D zone game when paired with Schenn, now rarely getting caught out of position,
His in tight decision making is elite. He has shown some incredibly soft hands. And the thing I love the most about him is we finally have a dman that can break up a cycle by just erasing them. Schenn is a tough mean physical D he's a sight for sore eyes on this blue line. We don't even need to mention that he will drop the gloves with any teams top heavyweight and probably win the fight. It's not getting said but this is a psychological boost to the Buds.

Welcome back Luke. Never leave again!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Seems like a copy and paste of the same stuff last year about Lyubushkin. If you can't see the value these defensemen bring then nobody can help you.

Schenn acting like the big brother in game 2 between benches with all the chirping really tells me he loves his role here and is embracing it. So satisfying watching him crush Maroon on the boards so many times in the series.

great

Apr 14, 2018
Schenn is good at dealing with pests, we need this in the second round. Love the leadership he brings

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This guy was ridiculously good for the Canucks this year. Easily our 2nd best d-man after Hughes. People thought Canucks fans were out to lunch when we wanted a 2nd rounder for him but now you see why. I hope you guys get a chance to go up against Boston next round and he crushes Marchand.
I wrote in about 4 threads that I didn't want Schenn (prior to the trade) because of the cost. I said Schenn was a #7 guy and that Justin Holl was the better Dman. I also thought you guys were out to lunch for wanting a 1st-3rd round pick.

I'm sorry. I was very wrong.

Seriously, where are the idiots that tried to tell me Holl and Giordano were better than Schenn? LMFAO
I said that Holl was better at least twice on these boards.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I wrote in about 4 threads that I didn't want Schenn (prior to the trade) because of the cost. I said Schenn was a #7 guy and that Justin Holl was the better Dman. I also thought you guys were out to lunch for wanting a 1st-3rd round pick.

I'm sorry. I was very wrong.

I said that Holl was better at least twice on these boards.
Respect :thumbu:

Reactions: smitty10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad