Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Jake McCabe (@50%), Sam Lafferty, cond. 2024 and 2025 5th round picks for Joey Anderson, Pavel Gogolev, 2025 1st (top 10 prot), 2026 2nd

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
And if it had been his only mistake up to then you would have a point.

The accumulation of errors that led to the Montreal series loss, probably the biggest epic collapse I've seen in my lifetime, should have been a fireable offense. The Foligno trade should have been the final straw.

Tanenbaum had such an easy out by firing the Dumbnamic Duo after the Montreal series loss, and instead managed to turn the crosshairs on himself by continuing to support failure with more failure.

If anything the coach should have been fired for a series of poor game management. Kinda hard to fire Keefe when he is one of the winningest coaches of the last 5 years. I think you are focused a little too much on the negative.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Yes, you can. Lineup changes can be made whenever you want, and you don't need to submit anything for "day to day" injuries if the player is not going on IR or LTIR. Most players in this league are playing through things on a regular basis that would qualify as "day to day". Teams did it all the time in the game before the deadline for high-value players. They continue to do it; they've just stopped caring about pretending it's anything other than trade-related. What IS heavily scrutinized and inspected however is injured players being traded, which just makes your unsupported claim even more ridiculous.

Even according to your own so-called "documented evidence", Foligno was "day to day", and then had 2 weeks in quarantine to heal, so even if he was "injured", he was fine by the time he played for us. He looked great, went PPG, and then suffered an injury on May 3rd that has been well documented - in real time, in a behind-the-scenes TV series, and from the words of the person himself.

What Foligno experienced with us, what took Foligno out of games with us, what made Foligno play at 50% with us was brand new, and happened while with us, after the trade.

Well, multiple teams were willing to offer the same, but either way, that's a different argument than making false claims about his injury.
Sure.

And Matthews wasn't benched for calling out Keefe in the media.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

ALine

May 14, 2012
Love this trade. Getting these guys beyond this year as well is a huge win. Be interesting to see how to D shakes out going into the playoffs. Keefes got some work to do to find the best fit for pairings.
Gio and Liljegren have good chemistry I don’t see that being broken up. McCabe and Brodie seems like such a natural fit. That leaves Rielly with Holl or Schenn, which seems like an awkward fit either way. We’ve seen Rielly with Holl enough to know their effective rangers from just ok through disastrous. The starry eyed teenager in me hoping Rielly and Schenn can come out and be an effective all situations pair, but unlikely. Gustavsson seems like a hedge against injury and if we see Timmins or beyond, things have gone horribly wrong.

All that being said, Rielly will need to step up and be the best of the bunch and everyone else should fall in line accordingly.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Pretty weak first game there. Needless penalty, check. Give aways up the middle, check. Slow, check. Physicallity, where was it? Hoping for someone different to show up tomorrow night.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Love this trade. Getting these guys beyond this year as well is a huge win. Be interesting to see how to D shakes out going into the playoffs. Keefes got some work to do to find the best fit for pairings.
Gio and Liljegren have good chemistry I don’t see that being broken up. McCabe and Brodie seems like such a natural fit. That leaves Rielly with Holl or Schenn, which seems like an awkward fit either way. We’ve seen Rielly with Holl enough to know their effective rangers from just ok through disastrous. The starry eyed teenager in me hoping Rielly and Schenn can come out and be an effective all situations pair, but unlikely. Gustavsson seems like a hedge against injury and if we see Timmins or beyond, things have gone horribly wrong.

All that being said, Rielly will need to step up and be the best of the bunch and everyone else should fall in line accordingly.
Rielly and Schenn will get 3rd pair minutes in offensive zone against 3rd and 4th lines .. and Rielly will get all PP minutes taking him to just under 20 minutes per night assuming 3 penalties

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm not going to put too much stock into last night because the entire team was garbage from the opening faceoff.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not going to put too much stock into last night because the entire team was garbage from the opening faceoff.
No, no, no, the Leafs had a bad game, so clearly they should have been the first and only top 5 seller this year! Because they're getting swept by Tampa anyway, so why give up assets? /s

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thinking 3 dimensional salary cap with this deal, the $2 million saved on McCabe for 2024-25 would represent a $2 million wiggle room for the year when the potential Matthews and Nylander extensions kick in and they need to stick handle around Tavares’ last year.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Thinking 3 dimensional salary cap with this deal, the $2 million saved on McCabe for 2024-25 would represent a $2 million wiggle room for the year when the potential Matthews and Nylander extensions kick in and they need to stick handle around Tavares’ last year.
McCabe @ $2 million in until 2025,
Timmins @ $1.1 million and a 1st in until 2025,

Holl @ $2 million out (UFA),
Sandin @ $1.4 million out until 2024.

Not direct lineup equivalents, but functionally it's one LD+RD in, one LD+RD out.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
7 new guys days apart? It takes time to gel even if it Lemieux and Gretzky. They won.

McCabe @ $2 million in until 2025,
Timmins @ $1.1 million and a 1st in until 2025,

Holl @ $2 million out (UFA),
Sandin @ $1.4 million out until 2024.

Not direct lineup equivalents, but functionally it's one LD+RD in, one LD+RD out.
I dont see Holl getting much of a raise from anyone and if he plays poorly in the playoffs he could devalue himself. He is at best a number 6 dman and they arent hard to find.

7 new guys days apart? It takes time to gel even if it Lemieux and Gretzky. They won.

I dont see Holl getting much of a raise from anyone and if he plays poorly in the playoffs he could devalue himself. He is at best a number 6 dman and they arent hard to find.
Dubas was never going to pay Sandin. It all started last summer.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Jake McCabe and Sam Lafferty are really settling in nicely for our group. I wasn't overly familiar with either one of their games prior to the deal, but I gotta say they look great.

Adding McCabe was like cloning a left side version of TJ Brodie. And in all honesty, without meaning any disrespect to TJ, I think Jake might even be better all around as well. Huge pick up for us. He is exactly what we need. Physical, heavy shot, positionally sound, solid 2-way defender with higher than average defensive instincts.

Sam Lafferty has been extremely noticeable for me the last 2 games. In a good way. I feel like we've been missing that element of speed in the bottom 6 all season long. Sure, Pierre had speed for us, but like every other tool in Engvall's box, he failed to use it effectively or with any form of consistency. Sam has really stretched the ice since coming onto the Leafs, and he has the tenacity to go to the net or stop up an make an intelligent play to the trailing guy. He doesn't just circle the wagons in the neutral zone trying to avoid contact or a man on man play. As much as that opening goal last night was due to a brilliant play/pass from Willy to Jarnkrok, that play doesn't even come close to developing without Lafferty gaining the zone with pace and creating that space for Willy when he eventually dropped it back to him. It's an incredibly valuable asset to have. I would really like to see more of him in that top/middle 6 TBH. I mentioned it in the PGT, but he is a depth player who will win us a game in the post season a la Nick Paul game 7.

So happy to have these guys on board. They are exactly what we needed. And the best part is, they are back next year, and for Jake, another year after that!

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Jake McCabe and Sam Lafferty are really settling in nicely for our group. I wasn't overly familiar with either one of their games prior to the deal, but I gotta say they look great.

Adding McCabe was like cloning a left side version of TJ Brodie. And in all honesty, without meaning any disrespect to TJ, I think Jake might even be better all around as well. Huge pick up for us. He is exactly what we need. Physical, heavy shot, positionally sound, solid 2-way defender with higher than average defensive instincts.

Sam Lafferty has been extremely noticeable for me the last 2 games. In a good way. I feel like we've been missing that element of speed in the bottom 6 all season long. Sure, Pierre had speed for us, but like every other tool in Engvall's box, he failed to use it effectively or with any form of consistency. Sam has really stretched the ice since coming onto the Leafs, and he has the tenacity to go to the net or stop up an make an intelligent play to the trailing guy. He doesn't just circle the wagons in the neutral zone trying to avoid contact or a man on man play. As much as that opening goal last night was due to a brilliant play/pass from Willy to Jarnkrok, that play doesn't even come close to developing without Lafferty gaining the zone with pace and creating that space for Willy when he eventually dropped it back to him. It's an incredibly valuable asset to have. I would really like to see more of him in that top/middle 6 TBH. I mentioned it in the PGT, but he is a depth player who will win us a game in the post season a la Nick Paul game 7.

So happy to have these guys on board. They are exactly what we needed. And the best part is, they are back next year, and for Jake, another year after that!

The bigger name are not always the best player for the team, we heard a lot about chychrun for the leafs but i think leafs is a much better team with mccabe than chychrun... not because hes better but because he exactly whats leafs needed and get him at 2M for next 2 is really huge.

Its probably the best dubas deal ever made

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
mccabe than chychrun.
Nothing stopping Dubas from getting both. They had the assets (2023 1st (BOS) + 2024 1st (TOR)) and the cap space (Kerfoot 3.5M + Holl 2m).

McCabe Chychrun
Rielly Brodie
Gio Lily
or
Chychrun Brodie
Rielly McCabe
Gio Lily

Much rather have Chychrun manning PP1 than Rielly. Just wait until the PP dries up before playoff time.

Reactions: phillipmike

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Nothing stopping Dubas from getting both. They had the assets (2023 1st (BOS) + 2024 1st (TOR)) and the cap space (Kerfoot 3.5M + Holl 2m).

McCabe Chychrun
Rielly Brodie
Gio Lily
or
Chychrun Brodie
Rielly McCabe
Gio Lily

Much rather have Chychrun manning PP1 than Rielly. Just wait until the PP dries up before playoff time.
It’s pretty sad that the only thing we want our #1 d-man to do is run a power play and he can’t even do that. Everyone fits their roles but him imo

Rielly -
Brodie - legit #2
Liljegren - top 4 TWD
McCabe - Physical shutdown D
Giordano - excellent bottom pair, or top 4.
Schenn-Holl - Good enough #6 D

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

McCabe Chychrun
Rielly Brodie
Gio Lily
or
Chychrun Brodie
Rielly McCabe
Gio Lily

Rielly has 2 more points, weights 2 more lbs and is 2 years younger than chychrun.
They seem pretty close statistically but now to your pp comment, Rielly has 13 ppp, chychrun 7

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

McCabe Chychrun
Rielly Brodie
Gio Lily
or
Chychrun Brodie
Rielly McCabe
Gio Lily

rielly struggle defensivly and he didnt looked great because leafs had to used him that way and some leafs fan claim rielly head bevause he didn't look good at all this seasom

Chychrun is not really better, the only season he played against toughest matchup he was even worst than rielly

and liljegren still have a lot of issues defensivly and why keefe domt have full confidence in him...

With that line, who do you send against toughest matchup... like i said biggedt name are not always the best fit

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So how have McCabe and Lafferty looked with Leafs?

I figure McCabe will be big part of Leafs potential playoff run

On Hawks end Anderson seems to be running with chance here in Chicago to make impression. Team sucks and is years off in rebuild up front so he could find himself a spot-on Hawks top 9 over next season or two if he does well enough and continues to produce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad