Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Jake McCabe (@50%), Sam Lafferty, cond. 2024 and 2025 5th round picks for Joey Anderson, Pavel Gogolev, 2025 1st (top 10 prot), 2026 2nd

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I guess ZAR slides into Engvall's place for tomorrow's game then.

Leafs are out west now so a recall is unlikely.

I imagine Schenn won't play tomorrow but he'll make his debut in Vancouver later this week.
Kerfoot will bump up to 3rd line

ZAR stays on4th where he belongs

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I remember Babcock said something in media once that made them cream their pants when he was explaining RD vs LD .. McCabe is more natural as LD id imagine

Babcock publicly took a shot at Dubas for acquiring Muzzin because he wasn’t a RD, despite Muzzin being our definite #2D at the time of the deal.

Reactions: Sypher04

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
O'Reilly at his worst is like Foligno at his peak. One was dealing with what he described as a "dibilitating back injury", the other broke his foot. They are not at all comparable players or situations.

Hell O'Reilly doesn't even have to score. His ~78% on the faceoff dot is looking like it's worth the price paid alone.
So what you are saying is that Kyle Dubas knowingly traded for a guy with a "debilitating back injury" in Foligno?

That alone should have been a fireable offense.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So what you are saying is that Kyle Dubas knowingly traded for a guy with a "debilitating back injury" in Foligno?

....Foligno back blew out like 2 games into his time here, he didn't have it at the time of the trade. Healthy Foligno was a worse player then RoR in general though.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
....Foligno back blew out like 2 games into his time here, he didn't have it at the time of the trade. Healthy Foligno was a worse player then RoR in general though.
According to his injury history report he was injured prior to the trade.

rotowire . com/hockey/player/nick-foligno-2582

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

The Gm has a winning % over .600 and a bad trade is a fireable offence? If that was the watermark for GM's no GM would make it past the first year.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The Gm has a winning % over .600 and a bad trade is a fireable offence? If that was the watermark for GM's no GM would make it past the first year.
Trading 1x1st and 2x4th for a player with a "debilitating back injury" who barely played for the team and made no difference in the playoffs, against Montreal no less, should have been a fireable offense, yes.

It's one thing to lose a deal.

It's another thing altogether to willingly buy in on a bad hand.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Trading 1x1st and 2x4th for a player with a "debilitating back injury" who barely played for the team and made no difference in the playoffs, against Montreal no less, should have been a fireable offense, yes.

It's one thing to lose a deal.

It's another thing altogether to willingly buy in on a bad hand.

Kyle would have had the Leafs medical staff review Foligno's health chart. It's standard procedure. Kyle is not a Dr. if the medical staff gave the go ahead , you got to trust the experts.

I'm not defending the trade cause it was a shitty trade. I'm more questioning your extreme reaction. If you are always one bad decision away from being fired, that's a pretty crappy work environment. You fire someone based on a sum of the whole, not a singular mistake.

Reactions: deprw

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Kyle would have had the Leafs medical staff review Foligno's health chart. It's standard procedure. Kyle is not a Dr. if the medical staff gave the go ahead , you got to trust the experts.

I'm not defending the trade cause it was a shitty trade. I'm more questioning your extreme reaction. If you are always one bad decision away from being fired, that's a pretty crappy work environment. You fire someone based on a sum of the whole, not a singular mistake.
And if it had been his only mistake up to then you would have a point.

The accumulation of errors that led to the Montreal series loss, probably the biggest epic collapse I've seen in my lifetime, should have been a fireable offense. The Foligno trade should have been the final straw.

Tanenbaum had such an easy out by firing the Dumbnamic Duo after the Montreal series loss, and instead managed to turn the crosshairs on himself by continuing to support failure with more failure.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
And if it had been his only mistake up to then you would have a point.

The accumulation of errors that led to the Montreal series loss, probably the biggest epic collapse I've seen in my lifetime, should have been a fireable offense. The Foligno trade should have been the final straw.

Tanenbaum had such an easy out by firing the Dumbnamic Duo after the Montreal series loss, and instead managed to turn the crosshairs on himself by continuing to support failure with more failure.
Montreal series was mostly lost on losing Tavares and Muzzin. Something GM can't control and that team went into the finals. That playoff series stungs from here to eternity, but there was also a lot of bad luck, when Hyman played with busted knee etc. Canadiens were healthy and Price made his last amok run.

We couldn't grind our way up from that hole, when our grinders were hurt and refereeing suited water skiing more than ice hockey.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No, Dubas traded for a guy that was healthy, at a cost that multiple GMs were offering, he played 4 games with us at PPG, and then he suffered a debilitating injury that was new, took him out of the lineup for most of the rest of the season/playoffs, and forced a change in how he played when he was in. Not only did we see this in the All Or Nothing special, Foligno himself has talked about it in detail.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Now that we have a larger picture, Sandin + picks from this trade could have got us a banger player coming back.

Jake McCabe is more swappable lawn chair territory. If we had a foundation of gritty play from the backend already and needed to solidify that, I can see the appeal of a Jake McCabe. In our current format....I don't understand it. Who do you guys think we're getting here ? At 30 years old he's going to basically turn into Jake Muzzin or better over night ? If we had Muzzin and then McCabe behind Muzzin....see now you're talking.

It's O'Reilly + a random mess of moves to follow. The resulting group of guys post-OReilly doesn't validate the asset leak.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
No, Dubas traded for a guy that was healthy, at a cost that multiple GMs were offering, he played 4 games with us at PPG, and then he suffered a debilitating injury that was new, took him out of the lineup for most of the rest of the season, and forced a change in how he played when he was in. Not only did we see this in the All Or Nothing special, Foligno himself has talked about it in detail.
Nope.

Dubas willingly traded for damaged goods and Foligno'd injury history report clearly shows he was injured at time of trade

Montreal series was mostly lost on losing Tavares and Muzzin. Something GM can't control and that team went into the finals. That playoff series stungs from here to eternity, but there was also a lot of bad luck, when Hyman played with busted knee etc. Canadiens were healthy and Price made his last amok run.

We couldn't grind our way up from that hole, when our grinders were hurt and refereeing suited water skiing more than ice hockey.
They were up 3-1 with Tavares out of the lineup and Muzzin was only injured for game 7, so the other three losses were with him on the lineup.

But don't let facts interfere with your interpretation of events.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It’ll be interesting to see how Sandin handles it if he’s the odd man out come playoff time. That’ll be two seasons where he’s played a majority of the regular season games and sat out in the playoffs…

I wouldn’t be surprised if he requests a trade in the off-season if that’s the case. But I can see Giordano taking a huge step back next year so it would be important to keep him around. I just don’t know if he’ll understand or see it that way.
Prophetic.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Now that we have a larger picture, Sandin + picks from this trade could have got us a banger player coming back.

Jake McCabe is more swappable lawn chair territory. If we had a foundation of gritty play from the backend already and needed to solidify that, I can see the appeal of a Jake McCabe. In our current format....I don't understand it. Who do you guys think we're getting here ? At 30 years old he's going to basically turn into Jake Muzzin or better over night ? If we had Muzzin and then McCabe behind Muzzin....see now you're talking.

It's O'Reilly + a random mess of moves to follow. The resulting group of guys post-OReilly doesn't validate the asset leak.
This is just a bizarre take. Because we don't currently have a bunch of bruisers on the back end, it doesn't make sense to add a bruiser? It clearly makes more sense to do so given the small back end the Leafs had. Plus with Schenn coming in, Dubas has transformed the D to be much more playoff ready.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Dubas willingly traded for damaged goods and Foligno'd injury history report clearly shows he was injured at time of trade
Dubas did not trade for damaged goods. Foligno played 18+ minutes in his last game with Columbus, and finished it perfectly fine.
He sat out the game prior to the deadline, like pretty much every player that's worth a 1st at the deadline (as you've seen across the league this year, as teams get more blatant with it).
This was likely just precautionary reasons, but at worst, it was minor "day to day" stuff. Foligno had a physical, and a 2 week quarantine to heal whatever bumps and bruises.
When he started with the Leafs, he was fully healthy. He went PPG through his first 4 games with us, and then suffered an injury on May 3rd against Montreal.
We all saw it happen in real time. We all saw it happen in the All or Nothing series. We all have heard Foligno speak on it multiple times, and discuss how it was debilitating and unlike anything he'd experienced before, and it made him play well below his potential, when he could even play.
Not sure why you're attempting to revise established and well documented history.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Dubas did not trade for damaged goods. Foligno played 18+ minutes in his last game with Columbus, and finished it perfectly fine.
He sat out the game prior to the deadline, like pretty much every player that's worth a 1st at the deadline (as you've seen across the league this year, as teams get more blatant with it).
This was likely just precautionary reasons, but at worst, it was minor "day to day" stuff. Foligno had a physical, and a 2 week quarantine to heal whatever bumps and bruises.
When he started with the Leafs, he was fully healthy. He went PPG through his first 4 games with us, and then suffered an injury on May 3rd against Montreal.
We all saw it happen in real time. We all saw it happen in the All or Nothing series. We all have heard Foligno speak on it multiple times, and discuss how it was debilitating and unlike anything he'd experienced before, and it made him play well below his potential, when he could even play.
Not sure why you're attempting to revise established and well documented history.
Au contraire

I provided the documented evidence showing he was injured prior to the trade.

You can't take a player out of the lineup and call it an "upper body" injury if he is not really hurt. Doesn't work that way. An injury report needs to be submitted.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
GAWD Holl top pairing is killing me after all these trades...
This was before the Schenn trade was announced, this was a placeholder. Holl most likely sits when all the pieces are in place.

In no iteration of the multiverse is this worth a 1st rounder

1677675742128.png

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I provided the documented evidence showing he was injured prior to the trade.
You can't take a player out of the lineup and call it an "upper body" injury if he is not really hurt. Doesn't work that way. An injury report needs to be submitted.
Yes, you can. Lineup changes can be made whenever you want, and you don't need to submit anything for "day to day" injuries if the player is not going on IR or LTIR. Most players in this league are playing through things on a regular basis that would qualify as "day to day". Teams did it all the time in the game before the deadline for high-value players. They continue to do it; they've just stopped caring about pretending it's anything other than trade-related. What IS heavily scrutinized and inspected however is injured players being traded, which just makes your unsupported claim even more ridiculous.

Even according to your own so-called "documented evidence", Foligno was "day to day", and then had 2 weeks in quarantine to heal, so even if he was "injured", he was fine by the time he played for us. He looked great, went PPG, and then suffered an injury on May 3rd that has been well documented - in real time, in a behind-the-scenes TV series, and from the words of the person himself.

What Foligno experienced with us, what took Foligno out of games with us, what made Foligno play at 50% with us was brand new, and happened while with us, after the trade.
In no iteration of the multiverse is this worth a 1st rounder
Well, multiple teams were willing to offer the same, but either way, that's a different argument than making false claims about his injury.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I imagine Kerfoot goes up to that third line.
Or he stays with Acciari and Lafferty and they become the third line.

Bunting. Matthews. Marner
Tavares. ROR. Nylander
Kerfoot. Acciari. Lafferty
ZAR. Kampf. Jarnkrok

Are we going to win a playoff round?
What’s it worth to you?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
According to his injury history report he was injured prior to the trade.

Foligno had a shoulder injury he was recovering from when he was traded. Foligno collided with Matthews in practice that probably caused or started his back injury.

Foligno Collides with Matthews

You can see him sort of bent over afterwards. Laughing it off, but probably thinking “Oh $&& Oh Sh$&.”

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Dubas is having a whale of a deadline. Making great moves, like this thread is supposed to be about, and setting us up for our best playoff opportunity we’ve had in decades. Yet rather than talk about that, some here just want to dredge up a bad trade he made two years ago. Give your head a shake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad