Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15 II

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/26/beezer-i-dont-like-the-leafs-trade

1297434909582_ORIGINAL.jpg

Everyone seems to be tossing rose petals at Maple Leafs general manager Dave Nonis for the trade he made on the weekend.

You know the one: Bringing in Jonathan Bernier — the young Los Angeles Kings backup goaltender — for winger Matt Frattin, backup goalie Ben Scrivens and a second-round draft pick.

Now I’m not prepared to be a skunk at a garden party here, but I do think that Frattin has a ton of upside and will become a front-line forward in the NHL. He showed quick hands and a real scorer’s touch around the net before being waylaid by a knee injury and was never the same after getting back into the lineup.

Yes, Scrivens became a non-factor in the Leafs’ plans once they decided to add Bernier. But I also think he has the potential to be a solid goaltender.

It’s funny. A lot of guys who are now proclaiming this to be a great deal for the Leafs were the same ones who raved about Frattin’s potential in the past.

I believe this trade could come back and bite the Leafs in the ass.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Steve Buffery said:
I believe this trade could come back and bite the Leafs in the ass.

Like any other trade? There are no sure things in pro sports.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
We didn't give up anything of high end value like a 1st, Frattin likely being the best piece we sent.

Reimer

33 GP 19-8-9 = 47/66 points earned, over 82 games is 116 point season.

Scrivens

20 GP 7-9-2 = 16/40 points earned, over 82 games is 66 point season.

Scrivens killed our record. If Reimer played all 48 games this year then we would of had 68 points and been 2nd in the East, 3rd in the NHL.

In 2nd place we would of matched up against the Senators, which I think would of likely got us out of the first round.

Bern cuts back Reim's work load, and improves our back-up goalie record. Which likely moves us up the standings.

He played fine. Very well for a backup. We didn't score when he was in net. He had to get two shutouts just to get 2 of his 7 wins.

Happy to have Bernier, he's definately an improvement, but the way people have been dumping on Scrivens is ridiculous.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Frattin top line forward in the NHL? Unless he reconfigures his entire game then maybe. He had a wicked shot but his passing was quite lack luster. He'd make good body checks but he didn't seem to use his body as often as he should. His hockey sense didn't seem to be the greatest unless he was paired with Kadri who he had pretty good chemistry with.

He has a potential to be a average secondary scorer with utility unless he's paired with a great centre. Maybe he'll pull another Stalberg and play with players who bring out the best in them. Still don't regret the trade one bit.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Frattin showed flashes of brilliance, like John Mitchell and every other average Joe who played on the leafs. Nonetheless, im pretty sure Frattin wont become anything spectacular/ or of significance. Im happy with the deal

Tyler Biggs*

Bernier [check], Clarkson [soon].

This should be every teams dream: to have two good goalies. They can push each other and make each other better and one will be there when the other is having a bad game. Just look at Pittsburgh this year. Fleury had a great season and continually puts up great regular season numbers, but when he struggled in the playoffs Vokoun was there and became the Pens clear cut MVP. I don't see how having two goalies who could both potentially win 40 games a season as a starter(obviously not together) could ever be considered a bad thing.

The business is winning. As long as they push each other to be better, who cares who's #1. The one and only focus must be building off of last year. Period.

Also the Habs fans are jeering and the Canucks fans are laughing at this trade...so you gotta know you're doing something right. Good job Nonis.

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
We didn't give up anything of high end value like a 1st, Frattin likely being the best piece we sent.

Reimer

33 GP 19-8-9 = 47/66 points earned, over 82 games is 116 point season.

Scrivens

20 GP 7-9-2 = 16/40 points earned, over 82 games is 66 point season.

Scrivens killed our record. If Reimer played all 48 games this year then we would of had 68 points and been 2nd in the East, 3rd in the NHL.

In 2nd place we would of matched up against the Senators, which I think would of likely got us out of the first round.

Bern cuts back Reim's work load, and improves our back-up goalie record. Which likely moves us up the standings.

Scrivens', as with any backup's numbers, are skewed because of the nature of their position. Their role requires them to sub in when the starter has a bad game, as a coach's strategy to motivate his team. Furthermore, the little amount of time he did see on the ice as a starter could be yet another reason why his numbers are not a great reflection of his play. As a backup, he has only been pulled once (AFAIK), which is a great indicator of his play and, I would gather, more important to the Kings.

With the addition of Bernier, I would expect a 1A-1B platoon as only he has experienced a 50+ game workload at the professional level.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Frattin top line forward in the NHL? Unless he reconfigures his entire game then maybe. He had a wicked shot but his passing was quite lack luster. He'd make good body checks but he didn't seem to use his body as often as he should. His hockey sense didn't seem to be the greatest unless he was paired with Kadri who he had pretty good chemistry with.

He has a potential to be a average secondary scorer with utility unless he's paired with a great centre. Maybe he'll pull another Stalberg and play with players who bring out the best in them. Still don't regret the trade one bit.

This trade reminds me of the Phaneuf trade just for this reason. Both Frattin and Scrivens, good players in their own right, are not major key pieces to the Leafs moving forward. A goalie like Bernier, who may lack in experience, is still a young, highly skilled goaltender that is hard to acquire. Like Phaneuf, we have given away replaceable pieces for a, hopefully, long-term staple in our team. :crossfing

Tyler Biggs*

From some of the comments it seems like fans were expecting the Leafs to solve every issue with just one trade. Improvements up front and on D will (hopefully) come during the summer. For now, I'm excited about Bernier and Toronto finally having a good 1-2 goalie combo.

Bernie was a mid 1st round pick and was pegged to be the King's #1 until Quick stole the gig. For people saying he's just a backup that's only because Quick was playing out of his mind. Pretty hard to play anybody but Quick when he was stealing games. Not so much this year but last year he did. This year Bernie stepped in and put up great numbers. The kid is ready to be a starter.

Best part of this trade is being overlooked.... it puts an end to the Luongo to Toronto chatter.

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010
Frattin showed flashes of brilliance, like John Mitchell and every other average Joe who played on the leafs. Nonetheless, im pretty sure Frattin wont become anything spectacular/ or of significance. Im happy with the deal

I can't be the only person who hopes Frattin and Scrivens go on to have amazing careers, I just have a soft spot for players who were drafted and developed in Toronto. Do we somehow 'lose' this trade if Scrivens becomes a starting goalie somewhere in the league? Do we get 'shafted' if Frattin goes on to become a solid 2nd line winger? I see a lot of posts in this thread (not just the two i quoted) with users trying to argue that we 'win' this trade, and I just don't get the obsession.

What's done is done, both teams got something they needed...and much like I hope Bernier has an amazing career with us, I hope the same for Frattin and Scribbles.

Oct 18, 2010
but I do think that Frattin has a ton of upside and will become a front-line forward in the NHL

haha

It’s funny. A lot of guys who are now proclaiming this to be a great deal for the Leafs were the same ones who raved about Frattin’s potential in the past.

Bernier's potential is higher, at a much more important position, and is more likely to reach that potential.

Good writer.

ThirdRowGreens

Nov 18, 2011
Ottawa
I can't be the only person who hopes Frattin and Scrivens go on to have amazing careers, I just have a soft spot for players who were drafted and developed in Toronto.

I know it's just a technicality, but we didn't draft Scrivens (and neither did anyone else). We signed him out of the NCAA.

I am a fan of both Fratts and Scrivs but I strongly believe this to be a great trade for both clubs.

Anyone boo-hooing for Reimer needs to realize that he's a professional, and paid like one, and this is a business just like any other. I'm pretty sure he understands that, because he's a pretty reasonable guy.

Secondly, Reimer tends to get hurt. A lot. He's been injured as a junior (hand/ankle), as an AHL player (the other ankle) and more than once as an NHLer. Regardless of whether you think Reimer is better than Bernier or the other way around, the point is moot if Reimer gets hurt again this coming season.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/26/beezer-i-dont-like-the-leafs-trade

1297434909582_ORIGINAL.jpg

I was always skeptical about Frattin and never really liked him. Saw him as a 2nd line tweener who was useful as a filler in the top 6 but nothing overly valuebale. Kindve like MacArthur, good player to have but easy to let go.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I liked Frattin a lot. Then looked at his age and where he is at with his career.

He still has a lot to prove and could very well be a decent 2nd line winger. But I always gave him the benefit of the doubt, because I thought he was 21-22.

The Leafs brought him in at the right time; showed promise in College. Sold him off when his value was decent, but not a detriment to the forward group because he departed.

Stack him up with other 25-26 year olds? most have their career figured out - Career bottom 6er - Top 6er - tough guy etc. Frattin was lingering around, with not much of a direction.

I'm happy and look forward to the direction we are going in.

Salgari

Apr 29, 2004
www.myspace.com
I liked Frattin a lot. Then looked at his age and where he is at with his career.

He still has a lot to prove and could very well be a decent 2nd line winger. But I always gave him the benefit of the doubt, because I thought he was 21-22.

The Leafs brought him in at the right time; showed promise in College. Sold him off when his value was decent, but not a detriment to the forward group because he departed.

Stack him up with other 25-26 year olds? most have their career figured out - Career bottom 6er - Top 6er - tough guy etc. Frattin was lingering around, with not much of a direction.

I'm happy and look forward to the direction we are going in.

Lots of people seem to ignore Frattin's age. Like that articles writer

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I don't want to pile on Frattin since I liked him, but he was easily the worst passer on the Leafs last year. He routinely missed passes and was more so a finisher. We have finishers already, it was an area of depth and I'm glad we put more stock in the most important position in hockey.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I read a lot of this thread and did not see anybody mentioning this:
I think what is good about this deal is that Leafs don't need to push Reimer to play 60-70 games. Yes, he was good for us in 30-40 games a season, but you never know where is that line when young goalie gets tired physically and/or mentally.
So with many speculating about future fruits of two goalies developing and battling it out, I see immediate benefit of spreading the load and allowing one of the two goalies (or both) easier transition to taxing true #1 job.

wulfio*

i dont get why people say his playmaking was lackluster. From what I saw of Frattin, in the 2 years I watched, he often made some pretty slick passes around the net for golden scoring opportunities.

He has a laser beam, and was a bulldog on skates. He's got the tools to be a pretty dominant player if he put it all together, and a big threat in my opinion.

But it could be just a case of all the tools no toolbox.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad