Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15 II

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Good point made at the end of the previous thread regarding Frattin's knee. He was a shadow of himself after his injury, and there is a significant risk that he will not reach his potential given the fact that he isn't exactly a young prospect anymore.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Really a slap in the face to James Reimer. While I don't doubt Bernier's potential, this market of Toronto has been a young goalie's nightmare, and Nonis didn't make things better acquiring another one. Reimer 2 out of the 3 years he's been in the league has been nothing short of superb. Does it always look pretty? No. At the end of the day is it done though?

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
People that think this will rattle Reimer's confidence have to remember how he responded after they publicly went out for Kiprusoff and he responded great. This push will only elevate him and Bernier, both playing w something to prove.

leafstilldeath*

Nonis afraid of goalie equipment getting smaller next year so first thing he does...

Get a Goalie!

Meanwhile we have other pressing issues like D and C but hey...get a goalie...

We need to re-sign few players but hey lets bring in a goalie (who will be getting a good raise)

My only hope...

Bernier becomes one of the best goalies of all time. PLEASE GOD!

leafstilldeath*

Good point made at the end of the previous thread regarding Frattin's knee. He was a shadow of himself after his injury, and there is a significant risk that he will not reach his potential given the fact that he isn't exactly a young prospect anymore.

Heard of a guy called

Joffrey Lupul?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Really a slap in the face to James Reimer. While I don't doubt Bernier's potential, this market of Toronto has been a young goalie's nightmare, and Nonis didn't make things better acquiring another one. Reimer 2 out of the 3 years he's been in the league has been nothing short of superb. Does it always look pretty? No. At the end of the day is it done though?

No it is NOT. Crikey Moses, that's like saying if we got a really, really good centre, or Kris Letang or someone, that's a slap in the face to Kadri because you know he's supposed to be the #1 centre of the future, or to Phaneuf because HE'S the #1A D-man.

We need to shore up. EVERY POSITION. the end.
we got a really good potential goaltender (one that 4-5 teams REALLY wanted btw), for peanuts. PEANUTS. well. expensive peanuts as it was what we gave up + 500.000 dollars.

Nonis afraid of goalie equipment getting smaller next year so first thing he does...

Get a Goalie!

We need to re-sign few players but hey lets bring in a goalie (who will be getting a good raise)

My only hope...

this kind of made me laugh -
but I don't think we could have gotten a D/C (a quality D, C), for Frattin & Scrivens, or we wouldn't have trade for Bernier.

Heard of a guy called

Joffrey Lupul?

hm. well. let's see.
Lupul broke his arm, came back, was on fire.
got suspended, came back was on fire.
had a concussion, came back and played stupid for a good chunk of games, but then was fair to middling in the playoffs..

and that was just this season :laugh:

Frattin - and I really did like him, after his knee thing - wasn't really the same.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
I like these deals. Over hyped/ over popular players for other over hyped/ over popular players who haven't done anything spectacular. The players in this deal have not accomplished anything in their career and are pushing 30. We will see how it pans out

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I like these deals. Over hyped/ over popular players for other over hyped/ over popular players who haven't done anything spectacular. The players in this deal have not accomplished anything in their career and are pushing 30. We will see how it pans out

So, 24 is pushing 30?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
"Yes, I'm expecting Bernier to be .930 or better."

Ulf, the amount of goalies that get .930 a year are very limited.

2012-2013

Craig Anderson, 24 games played .941 sv%
Sergei Bobrovsky, 38 games played .932 sv%
Tuukka Rask, 36 games played .929 sv%
Cory Schneider, 30 games played .927 sv%
Henrik Lundqvist, 43 games played .926 sv%

2011-2012

Brian Elliott, 38 games played .940 sv%
Cory Schneider, 33 games played .937 sv%
Henrik Lundqvist, 62 games played .930 sv%
Mike Smith, 67 games played .930 sv%
Jonathan Quick, 69 games played .930 sv%

2010-2011

Tim Thomas, 57 games played .938 sv%
Pekka Rinne, 64 games played .930 sv%
Cory Schneider, 25 games played .929 sv%
Roberto Luongo, 60 games played .928 sv%
Jonas Hiller, 49 games played .924 sv%

What I think we will see with Bernier is more control over the puck than Reimer and rebound control limiting those deadly second chances. Seems like one of those times where stats won't tell the whole story and you have to see the player yourself to really see the difference. Can't wait to see them try to one up each other next season.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

Get a Goalie!

My only hope...

We need D? I disagree. What kind of center can we get for Frattin, a second and Scrivens? Bozak-type?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Nonis is building from the net out. For that you need excellent goalkeeping. One of Reimer/Bernier will become a premier #1G in the NHL.

As much as I like Frattin, Nonis traded depth players for a potential stud.

At least this is how I rationalize the trade.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think it's a smart move. Reimer may not be thrilled, but just means he has to keep proving himself and hold his spot. Besides I think Reimer should know that the team is always trying to get better. If a guy they think could be something special is available they have to go for it.

I just think it can only be good for the Leafs to have this current situation. Two guys hungry to secure the #1 position and will be pushing each other to improve. In the end we get the better of the two goalies to lean on and carry this team forward.

leafstilldeath*

hm. well. let's see.
Lupul broke his arm, came back, was on fire.
got suspended, came back was on fire.
had a concussion, came back and played stupid for a good chunk of games, but then was fair to middling in the playoffs..

and that was just this season :laugh:

Frattin - and I really did like him, after his knee thing - wasn't really the same.

Joffrey scored after getting hurt...Frattin didn't

Lupul's career almost ended and he came back to become a force in the NHL. Ofcourse he got injured again thanks to Mr. no Brains Dion, came back and was on a hot streak. Then was almost concussed so yea...he had problem scoring. Concussions are scary.

Management should have been a bit patient with Frattin. Lack of patience is what led to the fiasco of no playoffs in leafs land for almost a decade. In any case the trade has been done. so I wish Frats all the best and hope for the best with Bernier

ALine

May 14, 2012
Reimer has a good head on his shoulders, never seen him get rattled at all before. Not worried about a potential personnel conflict. I think there both excited to duel it out. And I'm excited for it as well.

I have seen posted a lot that Bernier takes over as number one in the next year or two, then that would mean Reimers value would plummet. I don't think this is exactly the case. Just because Bernier out performs Reimer, doesn't mean Reimer has gotten any worse, just that Bernier has greatly improved. Was t it just the year before last, Burkie was offered a First for Reimer. He definately has a future as a starter in some capacity in this league, and teams some teams will need that legitimate (albeit, not great) starting goalie. A la Varlamov to Colorado for a first, after being sun planes by a younger players.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Nonis is building from the net out. For that you need excellent goalkeeping. One of Reimer/Bernier will become a premier #1G in the NHL.

As much as I like Frattin, Nonis traded depth players for a potential stud.

At least this is how I rationalize the trade.

Yeah I feel the same way. Really I think why the Kings went with our package is because we could replace two of their roster spots with young players for very little cap space. This is a huge deal for them.

The Kings can't afford to spend 3.5-4mil on a 20goal winger type in free agency so they got Frattin for a huge bargain cap wise. Nor could they afford a veteran backup goalie whom won't play much more than a dozen games anyway. Scrivens is perfect for them, no controversy and still can be confident when Quick takes the occasional day off.

Again we're using good cap management to upgrade our roster. The Leafs got the best player in the deal and have nothing to lose.

Worst case scenario, we trade either Reimer or Bernier next year for a similar package coming back if one of them clearly defines himself as a bonafide NHL starter. Which by the way is still a win for us.

Neither Reimer or Bernier has anything to worry about here in their young careers. Both will get a reasonable amount of games and will progress. Neither guy is a 5+mil starting goalie yet so why not build the team the right way and have them earn it?

Love this trade...we are set in goal now, period.

leafstilldeath*

We need D? I disagree. What kind of center can we get for Frattin, a second and Scrivens? Bozak-type?

I wasn't really implying that we should trade the same assets and pick for a center. I was merely stating that we are in desperate need of shut down D and 1C get it from anywhere.

ALine

May 14, 2012
Lupul's career almost ended and he came back to become a force in the NHL. Ofcourse he got injured again thanks to Mr. no Brains Dion, came back and was on a hot streak. Then was almost concussed so yea...he had problem scoring. Concussions are scary.

Management should have been a bit patient with Frattin. Lack of patience is what led to the fiasco of no playoffs in leafs land for almost a decade. In any case the trade has been done. so I wish Frats all the best and hope for the best with Bernier

or lack of quality goaltending could have also contributed in some way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad