Post-Game Talk: Leafs 6 - Sens 3: Kessel Hatty

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Thanks dude! Much appreciated. Yeah it was a special night - I've been to dozens of Leaf games, but never sat that close before.

And yeah I was a little giddy school girl when I saw them walk into the restaurant. I had to literally get nudged by my girlfriend to go speak to them haha, but when I did they were super friendly. Rielly seems quite nervous and uncomfortable with the whole "interact with fans" thing though.

Also - I don't know who Bernier was with, but she was A BABE! 10/10 for sure. No wonder he plays so well. I'd be a partial god if I had that walking around with me all the time.

Sitting that close is a great experience, but honestly my favorite seat I've ever had was the third row of the second deck, right at center ice. You have a perfect birds eye view of everything.

Haha I know just how you feel about being all giddy. I went to a pre-season game a couple years ago for my birthday when I got approached by two of the Leafs girls asking me if I wanted to be in a contest at 1st intermission. Got to go on the ice and shoot for a signed jersey and then meet and talk to Lombardi and Rosehill. It was amazing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you actually read the rulebook word for word on boarding...it was actually not even a 2 min boarding call.

That penalty is called all the time regardless of the rule book.

Were you not surprised that the didn't call it at the time?

mikebel111*

But that twitter thing is getting on my nerves
Apparently ceci said something totally different
Do they know how to read?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That penalty is called all the time regardless of the rule book.

Were you not surprised that the didn't call it at the time?

I was, but there have been calls go against us that changed the game.

Ottawa was tied despite the bad call, even came back to tie it 3-3. IMO, that evens things out and Ottawa had every chance to win the game but their top six failed to show up.

The game against the Habs a couple weeks ago was a good example. Habs score early, the Leafs reply in the next few shifts by a Dion Phaneuf goal but it gets taken away because of a terrible call on JvR.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Ottawa was tied despite the bad call, even came back to tie it 3-3. IMO, that evens things out and Ottawa had every chance to win the game but their top six failed to show up.

The game against the Habs a couple weeks ago was a good example. Habs score early, the Leafs reply in the next few shifts by a Dion Phaneuf goal but it gets taken away because of a terrible call on JvR.

Chris Neil's blatant inference was one of many make up non calls that the refs made to even out the game ... I have no sympathy for Sens fans whining about the reffing being lopsided

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah I realize those things even up over time. Nice to be on the right side of one of those calls, IMO that's when the game changed.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Yeah I realize those things even up over time. Nice to be on the right side of one of those calls, IMO that's when the game changed.

It's become a fad to complain about bad refereeing if the calls are one-sided even if the referees are doing a good job. Apparently in all games the teams need to have an equal number of PPs otherwise the game is rigged.

That play on the Neil 2nd goal was brutal as well. He just decks Lupul in open nice nowhere near the puck. Funny how no Sens fans have mentioned that at all when talking about the refereeing, or the fact that somehow punching a guy after the whistle like 5 times isn't even a 2 minute penalty. People will see what they want to see... at the end of the day the calls even out over the season. You'll only see certain groups of fans with inferiority complexes crying that the referees are always against them. Even before the game Sens fans were talking about how the refereeing is always rigged when they play the Leafs.

If anything having a call that Ottawa thought was really bad go the other way should have motivated them, but they were complete garbage for the rest of the game. Physically they did nothing in response, pretty much every player besides Neil was bad and their defensive coverage was absolutely pathetic. The Leafs pretty much scored the same goal 3 times - Kadri to Lupul, Bozak to Kessel, Kessel to Bozak - all got passes from behind the net and were wide open for easy tap-ins and yet apparently they lost because of refereeing.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's become a fad to complain about bad refereeing if the calls are one-sided even if the referees are doing a good job. Apparently in all games the teams need to have an equal number of PPs otherwise the game is rigged.

That play on the Neil 2nd goal was brutal as well. He just decks Lupul in open nice nowhere near the puck. Funny how no Sens fans have mentioned that at all when talking about the refereeing, or the fact that somehow punching a guy after the whistle like 5 times isn't even a 2 minute penalty. People will see what they want to see... at the end of the day the calls even out over the season. You'll only see certain groups of fans with inferiority complexes crying that the referees are always against them. Even before the game Sens fans were talking about how the refereeing is always rigged when they play the Leafs.

If anything having a call that Ottawa thought was really bad go the other way should have motivated them, but they were complete garbage for the rest of the game. Physically they did nothing in response, pretty much every player besides Neil was bad and their defensive coverage was absolutely pathetic. The Leafs pretty much scored the same goal 3 times - Kadri to Lupul, Bozak to Kessel, Kessel to Bozak - all got passes from behind the net and were wide open for easy tap-ins and yet apparently they lost because of refereeing.

Bad refereeing is just a cop out fans typically use when their team is just plain mediocre and can't overcome adversity to convince themselves their team is something better than it actually is

I'm not saying the Leafs are an elite team in the league but they have had some really tough calls against them this year, yet they've managed to overcome them and still come out relatively on top .. That's what great teams do - find a way to win regardless of the circumstances .. This relates to mental toughness

The Sens could have easily pulled ahead again late in the second when they had that PP with Phaneuf (one of the Leafs best PKers) in the box .. But they didn't .. Again early in the third Gunnar, another important PKer, goes to the box and rather than capitalize the Sens **** it up with Wiercioch mishandling the puck at the line which draws a penalty against Ottawa .. From there the Leafs pulled ahead

Even after that, Ottawa tied it up AGAIN .. But the Leafs have grown some mental toughness this year after their slump and pushed back to grab the game and win it convincingly .. Ottawa simply **** the bed in the third period and beat themselves but are using that Kadri incident to mask up a rather forgettable third period

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Bad refereeing is just a cop out fans typically use when their team is just plain mediocre and can't overcome adversity to convince themselves their team is something better than it actually is

I'm not saying the Leafs are an elite team in the league but they have had some really tough calls against them this year, yet they've managed to overcome them and still come out relatively on top .. That's what great teams do - find a way to win regardless of the circumstances .. This relates to mental toughness

The Sens could have easily pulled ahead again late in the second when they had that PP with Phaneuf (one of the Leafs best PKers) in the box .. But they didn't .. Again early in the third Gunnar, another important PKer, goes to the box and rather than capitalize the Sens **** it up with Wiercioch mishandling the puck at the line which draws a penalty against Ottawa .. From there the Leafs pulled ahead

Even after that, Ottawa tied it up AGAIN .. But the Leafs have grown some mental toughness this year after their slump and pushed back to grab the game and win it convincingly .. Ottawa simply **** the bed in the third period and beat themselves but are using that Kadri incident to mask up a rather forgettable third period

Not only did they tie it but they were awarded the goal after the fact. Shouldn't that have pumped up their bench? Neil looked ready to explode with excitement when they were given the goal so now the team is basically back in the game in the third period with at least 1 point to take from it and what do they do? They give up 2 more goals before they even get the chance to pull their goalie for the extra attacker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad