Prospect Info: Leafs 5th. pick at #142 - Fabrice Herzog

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Quebec's camp started yersterday. They had their fitness test and they weighed and measured players. Herzog is at 6'2 and 194 lbs. On the NHL draft list it was written 176 lbs so it was clearly outdated.

The first scrimmage was tonight. He did some good things but his line struggled all night. He showed some good hits and good puck protection.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Quebec's camp started yersterday. They had their fitness test and they weighed and measured players. Herzog is at 6'2 and 194 lbs. On the NHL draft list it was written 176 lbs so it was clearly outdated.

The first scrimmage was tonight. He did some good things but his line struggled all night. He showed some good hits and good puck protection.

Well that's disappointing. Are you talking pre-cuts because I was hoping he would stand out during those. I'm hoping for a home run pick with this guy

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well that's disappointing. Are you talking pre-cuts because I was hoping he would stand out during those. I'm hoping for a home run pick with this guy

Hopefully we get a nice surprise and not a Mikhail Stefanovich.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

His line was playing against the line of Adam Erne, Anthony Duclair and Nick Sorensen who dominated the play all night. That's quite understanding. All 3 were drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

He's a goal scorer near the crease and he wasn't often near the crease tonight as the puck was always the other way.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
After going scoreless in 3 preseason games with Quebec... Herzog has already 1 goal and 1 assist after the first period. Quebec is leading 2-1. He arrived from Toronto 45 minutes before the game. Like I said before, I really like his physical game. Chicoutimi's defense can't contend him in front of the net. He took a stupid penalty after the whistle though but you can credit that to too much intensity!

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Is Herzog still Leafs property? I don't think they've signed him to an ELC.

He's having a nice start to the season in Switzerland.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

He was at the Leafs Prospects camp so the team hasn't forgotten about him.

Just noticed: he's playing on the same team as potential number 1 overall Auston Matthews.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Yes, since he was drafted out of a European league, the Leafs retain his rights for 4 years before they have to offer him a contract (ie. until the 2017 draft)

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I think the fact that he hasn't been to Leafs camp in two years should be a pretty good sign they aren't interested in him at all. Even if they still retain his rights. I know I don't consider him part of the organization.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I think the fact that he hasn't been to Leafs camp in two years should be a pretty good sign they aren't interested in him at all. Even if they still retain his rights. I know I don't consider him part of the organization.

Wasn't he at the summer camp?

Why would he come over for the camp right now? The Leafs know he'll play in the Swiss league this season anyway and it has already started over there.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He is still Leafs property, and he's doing well. This guy is turning 21 at the end of the year and has impressed thus far in a top 9 role (unlike his crap minutes bottom 6 role last year). I wouldn't be surprised to either see him traded like I've been doing for a while, or signed to an ELC and with the Marlies next year. Either works for me, and as a power forward, he does give us something that isn't common in our current system.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Wasn't he at the summer camp?

Why would he come over for the camp right now? The Leafs know he'll play in the Swiss league this season anyway and it has already started over there.

No, he wasn't at summer camp as far as I know

edit: apparently he was. Hm.

Komarov took an eternity to come to north america.

Yeah but Herzog has come to camp already and gone. I think at this point it's just a formality that he's Leafs property. The Komarov situation was an outlier. Most guys that leave North America don't come back. I don't have very high hopes anyways.

Last edited:

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah but Herzog has come to camp already and gone. I think at this point it's just a formality that he's Leafs property. The Komarov situation was an outlier. Most guys that leave North America don't come back. I don't have very high hopes anyways.

This has more to do with European leagues starting early. Same situation for Andreas Johnson.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON

When he played in the CHL

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I understand people want to hold out hope for him, but there's never been anything special about Herzog and there still isn't. Decent size, pretty strong, decent two-way skills, just not particularly good at anything. If we're really, really lucky, he turns into one of those bottom-6 forwards who are plentiful on the waiver wire, or can be easily signed as a UFA.

One of the many "maybe he'll develop some talent later" picks of the Burke/Nonis era.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He is still Leafs property, and he's doing well. This guy is turning 21 at the end of the year and has impressed thus far in a top 9 role (unlike his crap minutes bottom 6 role last year). I wouldn't be surprised to either see him traded like I've been doing for a while, or signed to an ELC and with the Marlies next year. Either works for me, and as a power forward, he does give us something that isn't common in our current system.

I don't see the new regime going out and handing an ELC to a nothing prospect from the Morrison era when they've just cleared the cupboard of far superior prospects just recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad