Post-Game Talk: Leafs 4 Bruins 1 | Leafs take 4 of 4 points in Home and Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
this was a great effort from the team and they were rewarded. Honestly I wasn't too certain they would win prior to the game- but glad to admit I was mistaken. It seems our long long days of mediocre teams who either miss the playoffs or make it in, and are out quickly are finally ending. These guys are good. :)

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Overall thoughts:

Not a good game as a whole, but the d-zone work was for the most part amazing. Finally the thang that Babs is preachin was evident. Work rate and will was there, but the speed was not. Exactly the type of game that I was expectin, but result was not and I'm happy that I was wrong. As a whole the gameplan was executed perfectly and it was simple. Other than that I'm still in a confused state of mind that where is our biggest asset. Speed.

But here's the grades (feedback is allways a good thing)

:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs

Goalies:

Curtis Mcelhinney A+

This is was a true warrior performance from CMac and exactly and more what backup should do when called upon. He still overplays a lot of the situations, but was very steady and calm which gave a boost for the squad. Didn't have a chance for a shutout but this is allmost like one.

Defenders:

Morgan Rielly: A

Once again best D on the ice for us and he's really took a multiple steps forward this season. Cannot underestimate the influence of Hainsey. Solid, good skatin, nice wrister's through the crowd and solid d-work aswell. NICE

Ron Hainsey: B+

The signing of the year. Nah that's lil bit too much, but a rock solid performance again and calm presence on the PK. Really nice passes aswell and a lot of communication between Rielly and him. Nice signing for sure.

Nikita Zaitsev: B-

Not bad either, but few bad passes drops his grade a lil bit. Got crushed by Vatrano and after that looked a lil too careful for my taste. Lives and plays with emotions and this case was not that good thing. Still +1 and aswell good on the PK

Jake Gardiner: B-

Got a lot of PP time but did not pass my eyetest on it. Was not bad as BAD, but did not play with his instincts. Showed a couple occassions where he skated like a beaty but other than that not as good as I would hoped. Can turn it around though and hopefully will.

Andreas Borgman: C

Not a good game for the swede, but lil bit better than the game before. Only played for lil over 11min and that's about enough of him. On the bright side I thought he was better than his partner.

Connor Carrick: C-

IMO the worst D in our squad last night. That does not mean he is a bad D, but last night he was outplayed so many times that it hurted my insides. He's positioning needs work and I dont see lots of chemistry with him and Borg. Still as because of the team effort only a C-

Forwards:

Patrick Marleau: B+

He really is a true and beneficial veteran and I'm happy for him. Plays with poise n extreme pro-attitude and knows the game inside n out. Scored again though and empty netter, but all-around solid performance. Not as good as night before but good.

Connor Brown: B

ES he was pretty invisible, but PK effort was a valiant one. I'm not that big of a fan seeing him play with Hyman, but still I really liked his effort and work rate. He's a lot faster than I thought at the start of the season.

Zach Hyman: A-

Second best forward tonight cuz he simply is a warrior and these games thats what you need all night long and he def delivered. PK is his bread and butter and one very unselfish pass to Marleau to seal the game. I still feel that Marleau is not the right one to partner him with. I would love to see Kadri and Hyman, but never gonna happen. GG Z

Nazem Kadri: B-

This was not a bad performance of Kadri but not a usual rock solid one either. Marchand got under his skin all night long and that caused a lot of problems from time to time. Still he is valuable building block and might be a contender to Selke at the end of the year. Needs to show more on away games. Not bad..

Leo Komarov: A+

By far the best forward tonight and I'm so happy for him. Everything he did was a positive one. This was so needed and so important for the future. He will not score 20 goals anymore, but with these actions he solidifies himself as The man in the play-offs. Kiitos Leo

William Nylander: C++

Breaks my heart to say this, but was our worst forward today. Slump continues and baaad. If we compare him to Pasta for example the difference was night and day. Of course their role was completely different, but something is missing and I think that is CONFIDENCE. He shots a lot, but with no IQ behind them and he's desperate just to score. He will bounce back 100% but this was off night for him.

Mitch Marner: A

The wizard is back and that makes me sooooo happy :D He starts to skate more and gains confidence a lot through these two games. Was a threat all night and maybe our best offensive forward today aswell. WHAT A SNIPE. Sky's the limit and beyond. LIKED HIM !!!

Matt Martin: B+

When you need a warrior you ask for this man. I dont get the hate fully, but this game exemplifies what MM is allabout. Really tough and gritty all night and I liked him all night long.

Dominic Moore: B-

Who knew that this guy starts to grow on me. Very nice night again and showed his speed a couple of times. Battled hard and had a few chances, but was brutal on the FO-circle (20%)

Josh Leivo: C

Did not like him and did not see him. He's good at the boards but that is all... He was slow and disinterested. He's shot at the lineup is extrathin when AM comes back and I think that is just a good thing. Come at me, but thats just my opinion.

Am I completely wrong or whattya think bruthas and sisters !

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Great game. A solid effort from everyone.

I know Boston had a lot of shots, but nothing seemed too dangerous.

The PK and PP were good.

Leo played really well. He looked in fine form.

A special shout out to Brown, Zaitsev, Reilly, and Marleau.

This is a loveable team.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Hope this stops this silliness (at least for a week), that Pickard is the answer to Leafs as back up goalie. Leafs are starting to look a little more "organized" in their defensive play and forechecking. I know a few goals either way, and Bruins would have had 4 points, but man the Bruins look slow. I know they have some injuries, except for Bergeron line....a very ordinary team at best.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Love Marner, he has been playing fine all year, glad he scored last night and continues to get assists so that "fans" will lay off of him.
He carries his line most of the time, people should give him a break. I love Willy too, but imagine Willy on that line and Mitch on with Matthews. Might make Mitchey's life a little easier and put the heat on Nylander.

Reactions: hotpaws

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Love Marner, he has been playing fine all year, glad he scored last night and continues to get assists so that "fans" will lay off of him.
He carries his line most of the time, people should give him a break. I love Willy too, but imagine Willy on that line and Mitch on with Matthews. Might make Mitchey's life a little easier and put the heat on Nylander.

The heat is on both Nylander and Marner. They will respond and put up better numbers than they did last year, I am sure of it. I want to see the Nylander that dominated the WHC to show up.

Marner after his slow start has caught up with Nylander in points.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
@NCoRe

You missed Marner

Yeah, I was gonna mention that to him.

Marner has deff stepped up his game. I hope he builds on this and keeps getting more confidance from it all.

Feels nice to get a back to back against a team as tired as the the Leafs. McElhinney really played well to help get the win. Good night all round for the boys in blue.

Reactions: NCoRe

weems

Jul 3, 2008
These 4 games minus Matthews show this team can tighten up its game.
Sure it's still not where it needs but at least the recent games have been better.
Gap control, back pressure and goaltending has improved which was essential.

Can basically call this the first 20 game stretch.

12-7 while playing pretty terrible overall team hockey with terrible goaltending for the majority.

Shows this really is a good team that even when not playing our best hockey we can still get wins.

If we're going to really go far this year, we need to show up everynight and skate. So much of our game and ability to defend comes from moving out feet.

The third pairing needs to be much better (either thru better performance from the current pair, giving Dermott a run or from a trade.)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Three things were very good tonight. We protected the center of the ice well. We played well on the PK. We got great goaltending. Some posters should feel ashamed of the way they wrote about McElhinney before the game. He is getting punished for what they think he will give us going forward. That's not fair.

Outside those three good things, we had nothing. Well, we had Mitch and his uncles, and some lucky bounces.

Numbers are their season average grade.

Great
McElhinney (2.67) - He was a bit wild, but very effective. Won the game for us.

Good
Hainsey (3.10) - So reliable in all parts of the game tonight. Hainsey was made to play with Rielly.
Marleau (3.26) - Marleau seem to be heating up. Watching him, it feels like he was just made to play for Babcock and on a team like this.
Komarov (2.63) - Leo wasn't great at even strength tonight. Like most of our team, he did well in the defensive zone but couldn't get further. His PK work though was absolutely outstanding, and he really helped us close the game.
JVR (2.61) - Second game where JVR showcases both will and ability to the point where he looks like a star forward. Went up against Chara, and didn't back down at all.
Marner (3) - He's back.

Average
Zaitsev (2.63) - Not a great game even strength, but was strong like the rest of the team on the PK.
Rielly (3.47) - I really like the way he moves along the blueline on the PP, freezing the defense so that he can give the pass receiver on the halfboards more space and time.
Hyman (2.95) - Not great even strength, solid on the PK. The theme for a whole bunch of our players tonight.
Bozak (2.58) - Once again Bozak's line has a strong night, once again Bozak himself felt more like an afterthought. I don't want to rob him of all credit, because he was hustling out there.
Brown (2.89) - Big game with tons of minutes of fairly decent play. Serviceable is how I'd describe Brown in this game.

Bad
Gardiner (2.58) - Mostly average, but also a bit lackadaisical. Didn't give us anything through the neutral zone or in the offensive zone either.
Borgman (2.35) - Some might think it's harsh, but I see it like this. If you are a bottom pairing who gets very select minutes, you really need to win them. I don't think his pairing was even close to doing that.
Carrick (2.41) - See Borgman.
Kadri (3.11) - Got some praise, but I don't see it. I saw him get fooled into a penalty, and get rushed out there to chase match ups he lost handily.
Martin (2.44) - It's to Martin's credit that he has some kind of impact playing as few minutes as he does, but that comes with the role I guess. Still, the combination of him and Moore effectively kills that line as a depth line.
Leivo (2.6) - Let's get it out of the way directly. Leivo was a ghost. However, he's an offensive player on a line that kills offense. Babcock says he's not a fourth line guy, well if we play fourth lines that can't be competitive, then it's hard to argue.

Awful
Nylander (3.16) - Mostly harmless. He looked like a rookie in over his head.
Moore (2.17) - I think he's done. He got completely outmatched even by the reserves of Boston's reserves tonight.

Edit: Took a look at some numbers to give some food for thought regarding my ratings. Boston had a 73% xGF at even strength. A goalie win, this. By the guy some so called fans named McGarbage before the game.

Nithoniniel, Your on the money again, very good player report

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What I fine hopeful is that the Leafs still haven't hit their full stride (in terms of everyone going at the same time and the defensive issues being resolved) yet they're winning games. Whereas last year they had nearly everything going right and they just got into the playoffs. This season they have room for growth despite that they haven't been at their best yet. That's the sign of a good team.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I really like Leivo but he needs to step it up here.

Babcock is looking for any excuse to put him back in the press box.

Also MR44 is looking like more and more like Duncan Keith every game. I know a lot of us hated when Babcock had him in shut down minutes last year but he seems so much better than ever now. He's solid defensively and elite offensively.

Reactions: Metalfan

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think since Matthews has been out of the lineup, players have been stepping up to fill the void.
Matthews injury might be a blessing in disguise, if it can get the other players more involved and playing up to their potential.

Reactions: crump

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I think since Matthews has been out of the lineup, players have been stepping up to fill the void.
Matthews injury might be a blessing in disguise, if it can get the other players more involved and playing up to their potential.
Yes. Remember when Sundin went down well the a leg injury the team stepped up. It is a good sign, and a nice jump start for some players who had been sitting back a bit, and I am not just talking about offensive players, I think it's no coincidence that guys like Hyman and Komarov stepped up their game as well, not scoring but in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad