Line Combos: Leafs 3rd Line Centre 2020-21Season??

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Keep Kerfoot for now and if he doesn't do well this season, leave him unprotected in the expansion draft. (Actually, he's almost certain to be exposed regardless).

If he's picked, then the Leafs will look for a 3C but for now he's at least passable in the role and even if Dubas doesn't agree, replacing him isn't likely anything close to a priority.

Reactions: qqaz

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Maybe, but why wouldn’t he ask for 3+ mil?

He was on pace to score 45-50 points, which puts him on pace with Kapanen and Johnsson before their deals, plus he was a key PKer.
It's a flat cap, he can be traded, and was a no show in the playoffs.

His pace doesn't get him a reprieve. He played 44 games in total with 8 goals in the top 6/9.

Take $1.5 or head back to Russia.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
This is pending losing Johnsson, Clifford, and Engvall for cap reasons. If you trade Nylander, Bracco slots in. There'd also have to be some shuffling if Mikheyev is traded.

Sign Matt Martin and Wayne Simmonds to 1 years. 1 year deals will be pretty big this offseason I think and we will need to fill our holes that way since we have nothing resembling grit in our farm.

Mikheyev - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Hyman
Kerfoot - Spezza - Nylander
Martin - Gauthier - Simmonds

A bit tougher of a team up front (kinda) but Gauthier back as a regular is not great, Thornton maybe takes his spot and slides Spezza to 4th centre with Kerfoot taking PK centre role.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
It's a flat cap, he can be traded, and was a no show in the playoffs.

His pace doesn't get him a reprieve. He played 44 games in total with 8 goals in the top 6/9.

Take $1.5 or head back to Russia.

And this is the one guy Dubas is going to negotiate hard with?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Eh, Kerfoot might be fine. He played well to start the year, was completely invisible for months (broken face gives him a bit of a break) and then looked good for the play in. He's pretty vanilla, but if he actually plays PK and does well all year in there, then he's good enough. But I'm completely indifferent to him as a player. If he gets traded today, I'm fine with it.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
This is pending losing Johnsson, Clifford, and Engvall for cap reasons. If you trade Nylander, Bracco slots in. There'd also have to be some shuffling if Mikheyev is traded.

Sign Matt Martin and Wayne Simmonds to 1 years. 1 year deals will be pretty big this offseason I think and we will need to fill our holes that way since we have nothing resembling grit in our farm.

Mikheyev - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Hyman
Kerfoot - Spezza - Nylander
Martin - Gauthier - Simmonds

A bit tougher of a team up front (kinda) but Gauthier back as a regular is not great, Thornton maybe takes his spot and slides Spezza to 4th centre with Kerfoot taking PK centre role.

I'd love a reunion with Martin if he comes around 1M deal.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Soderberg great size 20 goals 40 pts
UFA

Coming off of $4.75M and he is turning 35. Lets say they moved Kerfoot, I think even at 35 CS would be looking for minimum 2 year deal and I am not sure you could get there with the available money. He would take less, no question but below $3M? If I could get him for 2 x $3M or less and trade Kerfoot for value I would do it. He was a pk guy in Colorado. His scoring per 60 was close to Kerfoots so you aren't getting a guaranteed offensive boost but he is bigger and hits more. Shaving the salary is why you might do it IMO and maybe AJ can find his A game beside a fellow Swede (if not dealt hinself).

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Love the way Martin plays for the Isles but he's not leaving NY (married to Esiason's daughter and just had a kid) for $1M and Lou easily beats it.
Lou isn't beating anything until he resigns Barzal, Pulock, and Devon Toews with the $8.9 million in cap space he has left after his rather questionable signings/foresight.

Reactions: exporta

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Lou isn't beating anything until he resigns Barzal, Pulock, and Devon Toews with the $8.9 million in cap space he has left after his rather questionable signings/foresight.

Lou definitely has some work to do. He is probably going to need to bridge Barzal. Not sure what Pulock and Toews command. I'd gladly take Cizikas off his hands for a 5th.

Reactions: kb

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Actually Kadri was a second line centre for the Leafs, before Tavares got here. That is why he had two straight thirty goal seasons.
Yup, I just said NHL since Kerfoot didn’t do any 2C duty for the leafs. Not that I recall, anyway.
Makes the direct comparison tricky actually, but kudos to Nifty Mittens having a good season with the bigger opportunity.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Alex Kerfoot looked good in the playoffs

If we move on from him, i'd like to add a grittier more defensive minded 3C like Lowry/Bennett/Coleman/etc

Reactions: cgc83

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad