Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 4th-round (#124 via STL) -- C Nicholas Abruzzese --Chicago USHL - 5' 9"/ 160

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Small and skilled: Leafs see potential in fourth round pick...
Abruzzese, while small, is undoubtedly skilled, as he proved while leading the USHL in points and assists this year. While at Leafs development camp last week, he started to make an impression on the first day of on-ice drills. He had a fluid stride, and a good shot and looked confident making plays. And he wasn’t afraid to dig into corners to get the puck. Moore, who was a guest coach for the week-long camp, said he was impressed with how Abruzzese performed, and noted that he looked “comfortable” and “poised.”

A lot of that comfort stems from doing similar drills during the year, as both the Leafs and Chicago Steel have Darryl Belfry on their player development staff. Belfry joined the Steel last year as a player development coach, along with skating coach Adam Nicholas.

Belfry and Nicholas created individual development plans and on-ice skills sessions for the Steel players that ranged from stride mechanics to how to create space against an opponent. For a smaller player like Abruzzese, those skills were vital.

“Getting to work with (Belfry) and Adam Nicholas, two of best skills coaches in the world and having them there was definitely a unique opportunity for a junior hockey player,” he said. “I definitely took full advantage of just picking their brains and seeing the way they see the game, and for the type of player I am, it definitely helped my game.”

From a physical standpoint, Abruzzese is a late bloomer, but his high hockey IQ and skill set have always been there. Last summer he made a point to get stronger and faster and subsequently had a breakout year that started to get attention from NHL scouts.

“Going through two drafts, I tried not to think about it too much. And coming into this year I just tried to, on the ice, improve myself the best I could and become the best player I could be,” Abruzzese said. “Obviously people took notice, which is nice, being recognized for that level of play.”
Moore said there was heightened interest in Abruzzese as scouts were starting to see his upside."

“He is a 99 birth year, so his body is just maturing at a later time than most players born in 99. So, he was just physically behind the rest of his peers for a bunch of years and now he is slowly starting to catch up,” he said. “He has always had the brain, always had the skill set that he had, it’s just he couldn’t play physically at a certain level based off how far behind he was."

“People’s eyes are starting to open up to what he really is as an athlete now that his body is catching up.”

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Not liking the 2019 Leaf draft class.

How are you liking it now???

I'm a fan of it!

Nick Robertson - 47 goals in 41 games, 73 points in total. One of three players to go a goal a game in the o since 2005, Tavares (twice), Kane.. Looked great at the world juniors as well.
Mikko Kokkonen - Not having the best of seasons but is still playing a steady game in a men's league. Think his game will translate nicely.
Mikhail Abramov - 33 goals, 39 assists, 72 points in 57 games on one of the worst teams in the QMJHL. Next closest teammate only has 36 points......
Nick Abbruzzese - 37 points in 26 games as a freshman. Highest NCAA PPG for a player 20yrs old or younger.
Mike Koster: Rough start to the year, but has bounce back well. Excellent skater. Next year will give us a better indication of what his probabilities are.
Kalle Lopanen: Good skating defender. I see him in Sudbury quite often. Is often our best d. But unfortunately, I don't see him translating that well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How are you liking it now???

I'm a fan of it!

Nick Robertson - 47 goals in 41 games, 73 points in total. One of three players to go a goal a game in the o since 2005, Tavares (twice), Kane.. Looked great at the world juniors as well.
Mikko Kokkonen - Not having the best of seasons but is still playing a steady game in a men's league. Think his game will translate nicely.
Mikhail Abramov - 33 goals, 39 assists, 72 points in 57 games on one of the worst teams in the QMJHL. Next closest teammate only has 36 points......
Nick Abbruzzese - 37 points in 26 games as a freshman. Highest NCAA PPG for a player 20yrs old or younger.
Mike Koster: Rough start to the year, but has bounce back well. Excellent skater. Next year will give us a better indication of what his probabilities are.
Kalle Lopanen: Good skating defender. I see him in Sudbury quite often. Is often our best d. But unfortunately, I don't see him translating that well.

I still don't really like it.

Robertson has been a revelation but aside from that I just don't think we're picking up a lot of guys who we can slot into the lineup.

Hopefully Abramov turns into something, but hard to know what you have in a Q scorer (i.e. will he be a Kucherov or a Timashov?). Guess we will have a better idea when he graduates to the AHL.

Abruzzese - not excited. Wait and see.

Not expecting 5'9" defensemen like Koster to play any role with the Leafs unless we found a Torey Krug unexpectedly. Wait and see.

I heard people were high on Kokkonen earlier in the year, so I guess we'll wait and see with him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Robertson has been a revelation but aside from that I just don't think we're picking up a lot of guys who we can slot into the lineup.

Hopefully Abramov turns into something, but hard to know what you have in a Q scorer (i.e. will he be a Kucherov or a Timashov?). Guess we will have a better idea when he graduates to the AHL.

Not expecting 5'9" defensemen like Koster to play any role with the Leafs unless we found a Torey Krug unexpectedly. Wait and see.

I heard people were high on Kokkonen earlier in the year, so I guess we'll wait and see with him.

Kokkonen's injury in the Summer really screwed him over this year from what I understand.

Robertson looks great.

Abramov/Kokkonen - hopefully 1 of them pans out

Abruzzese - NCAA is hard to tell how it translates to the pro game but good for him.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016

To be fair I prefer this draft over 2017 and 2018....

Obviously Sandin is a fantastic piece outside of that there isn't much. SDA is having a good season tho.

Too many big guys with poor skating....
Only Liljegren pans out. Kara is tracking well tho.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Along with Robertson and Abramov, Wheeler has Abruzzese as one of the risers in the draft. Here is what he said.

Nick Abruzzese, C/LW, 5-foot-9 (Toronto Maple Leafs/Harvard University)
Actual draft pick: N0. 124
My final ranking: Not ranked in my top 100.
Like Thompson, Abruzzese was an overager with some question marks. Some scouts questioned his size and whether his dominant USHL season was a byproduct of a strong surrounding cast and his age. Others worried about his ability to stick at his natural centre position. Others feared he was a top-six or bust player. And while those latter two questions remain on the periphery (he’s playing the wing these days, for example), he has extinguished concerns about the former. He made a statement on Harvard’s opening weekend and he has been a force ever since, driving results as one of the better playmakers in the NCAA since Day 1 — and routinely making something out of nothing with NHL-level skill. Though he narrowly missed out my final top 100 last season, Abruzzese was a player I highlighted as a worthwhile pick where the Leafs chose him — and a potential late-round steal before they ever did. In hindsight, everyone should have been even higher on him — and even less concerned with his age. One of the natural fears with a 20-year-old freshman is that if they have to spend four full seasons in college, they’re past their prime when they turn pro and no longer a priority for their organization. That means that Abruzzese had to show that he could potentially make quicker work of his college career and turn pro sooner. This season, he has done that. And though he shouldn’t (nor would I expect him to be) one-and-done, he has shown the hockey world he’s a legit prospect, one of the best players in the ECAC, and a superb playmaker.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Let's assume Robertson is a future top 6 for us. If Dubas can keep generating one sick player every draft it doesn't matter if the others flop to be honest.

Sandin now Robertson. Big 3 only just discovered facial hair, Kapanen is still improving and Mik looks like a keeper. Got that Lilly dude on the verge of becoming a top 4 hopefully. Rielly most likely locked up to be a Leaf for life.

Future is bright for this team. If Dubas can find even a third liner in this draft Leafs are trending towards "not even fair" territory in a couple years.

These aren't filler players either like malgin, clifford etc that teams fill their bottom 6 with. Any player that makes the team that is a Dubas pick will be skilled.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Let's assume Robertson is a future top 6 for us. If Dubas can keep generating one sick player every draft it doesn't matter if the others flop to be honest.

Sandin now Robertson. Big 3 only just discovered facial hair, Kapanen is still improving and Mik looks like a keeper. Got that Lilly dude on the verge of becoming a top 4 hopefully. Rielly most likely locked up to be a Leaf for life.

Future is bright for this team. If Dubas can find even a third liner in this draft Leafs are trending towards "not even fair" territory in a couple years.

These aren't filler players either like malgin, clifford etc that teams fill their bottom 6 with. Any player that makes the team that is a Dubas pick will be skilled.

Starting to realize a collection of really good skilled players isn't enough to make a great team. Their personalities and team culture are going to matter just as much.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Starting to realize a collection of really good skilled players isn't enough to make a great team. Their personalities and team culture are going to matter just as much.
That's secondary though. You also can't predict how players will gel. You can have two best friends and then some off-ice drama occurs. Makes no sense to build your team off social science.

Go as skilled as you can. Tweak where needed later. Truculence can be found for cheap.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
That's secondary though. You also can't predict how players will gel. You can have two best friends and then some off-ice drama occurs. Makes no sense to build your team off social science.

Go as skilled as you can. Tweak where needed later. Truculence can be found for cheap.

Empty truculence can be found for cheap, like Kyle Clifford. If you want a big player with a mean streak who can actually play meaningful minutes you pretty much have to draft him.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Empty truculence can be found for cheap, like Kyle Clifford. If you want a big player with a mean streak who can actually play meaningful minutes you pretty much have to draft him.
Agreed. That truculence part I added was actually irrelevant since the issue was team culture and not physicality.

The variables for culture cannot be controlled so focus on grabbing the best group you possibly can and worry about the rest later is what I truly meant.

Reactions: 7even

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Kokkonen's injury in the Summer really screwed him over this year from what I understand.

Robertson looks great.

Abramov/Kokkonen - hopefully 1 of them pans out

Abruzzese - NCAA is hard to tell how it translates to the pro game but good for him.
Off-topic but RE Kokkonen: where did this narrative that he's had a down year come from?

He's now up to 125GP in Liiga after turning 19 in January - a professional men's league with a level of competition that falls between the AHL and ECHL.

Footnotes of his 2019-2020 stretch:
  • averages 18:57 TOI (in 39GP - compared to 17:25/game last season)
  • averages 2.9 shots per game (2nd most among defensemen on his team and higher than last season)
  • 2nd best +/- on his team among defensemen with min 20GP (he was dead last on his team in 2018)
  • 4th most points on his team among defensemen

He's been trusted with tougher matchups and responsibilities 5on5, which is the top priority for a teenage defender in a men's league. He's also shooting more and seems to be playing more consistent at even strength. I don't follow Liiga close enough, but its pretty clear that Jakovenko has been given top PP priority, which has shifted Kokkonen out of the rotation. His PP numbers are hurting as a result (0 PPGs this season). His numbers last year were pretty inflated to begin with due to his usage on special teams.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Off-topic but RE Kokkonen: where did this narrative that he's had a down year come from?

He's now up to 125GP in Liiga after turning 19 in January - a professional men's league with a level of competition that falls between the AHL and ECHL.

Footnotes of his 2019-2020 stretch:
  • averages 18:57 TOI (in 39GP - compared to 17:25/game last season)
  • averages 2.9 shots per game (2nd most among defensemen on his team and higher than last season)
  • 2nd best +/- on his team among defensemen with min 20GP (he was dead last on his team in 2018)
  • 4th most points on his team among defensemen

He's been trusted with tougher matchups and responsibilities 5on5, which is the top priority for a teenage defender in a men's league. He's also shooting more and seems to be playing more consistent at even strength. I don't follow Liiga close enough, but its pretty clear that Jakovenko has been given top PP priority, which has shifted Kokkonen out of the rotation. His PP numbers are hurting as a result (0 PPGs this season). His numbers last year were pretty inflated to begin with due to his usage on special teams.
In that context, it makes it look like he's had a solid season. I think it goes from his slow start and his production. He picked it up in the 2nd half.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yeah, empty truculence. Biggs was nothing but a meathead from the minute we drafted him. The Tkachuks, Wilson, Marchand, Gallagher, those guys seldom move. You get lucky and draft it, or you don't have it.

And when Lucic eventually moved, it turned out to be a disaster.

And I'd bet my house that Zach Kassian deal only goes downhill too.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
To be fair I prefer this draft over 2017 and 2018....

Obviously Sandin is a fantastic piece outside of that there isn't much. SDA is having a good season tho.

Too many big guys with poor skating....
Only Liljegren pans out. Kara is tracking well tho.

2017 was a Hunter draft and I don't think it is really salvageable at this point. Liljegren was good. Scott, Rasanen, O'Connell and Kara are total wildcard long shots right now and the other two are gone already.

2018 was Dubas having like 3 weeks with the board and mostly just taking guys his scouts were familiar with. Neither were particularly deep drafts in general though, so 2018 was decent for what was out there. Durzi was able to be used as a trade chip, SDA, Stotts, Kral, Hollowell and Holmberg all look decent enough that you may be able to get one or two NHLers out of that group. If we got Sandin, Durzi plus one or two more NHLers out of that draft, that is a major win, even if you disregard the lack of time with the board. If we get another 2 or 3 NHLers out of 2019 as well, which I think is possible between Kokkonen, Robertson, Abramov, Abruzzese and Koster, then we are in a really good spot.

2020 will be interesting. We don't have a 1st or a 3rd but we have a ton of late round picks. This draft is not as deep as many say it is but a smart drafter can likely get a number of Abramov and Abruzzese type prospects in the 4-7 rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad