Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 7th Rd (#209 OA via ANA)- Zachary Bouthillier (6'2, 188lbs, G, Chicoutimi Sagueneens)

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Those stats.. Oh my.. Why???
St. Johns sucked this year, and idk how he was so bad on Chicoutimi though. It's good to sign him to an amateur tryout and get him some professional training then deciding from there where to go with a prospect. Sparks seemed like a nothing signing when he went to the ECHL and he won AHL goalie of the year 2x in a row.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
St. Johns sucked this year, and idk how he was so bad on Chicoutimi though. It's good to sign him to an amateur tryout and get him some professional training then deciding from there where to go with a prospect. Sparks seemed like a nothing signing when he went to the ECHL and he won AHL goalie of the year 2x in a row.
Also a handful of NHL wins as well serviceable so far.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
CHL goalies are impossible to project - honestly, I feel like you’re sometimes better off drafting goalies on bad teams with mediocre numbers but lots of raw potential (ie Matt Murray) and hoping for the best. Hope this guy’s one of them
I agree in a sense. some goalies face 24 shots a game, others face close to 40. It's hard to project how their raw numbers will translate because of this. I made my own system that adjusts their Sv% had they faced a league/CHL average for shots, but that still doesn't account for the quality of scoring chances givem up by their teams or the athletic ability of the goaltenders.

I'm sure NHL teams have a much better system for evaluating goaltenders numbers and even still, it's a crapshoot.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Chicoutimi was not that great either, although Shank definitely went on some hot streaks. There is a good chance he could get drafted this year.

We may be very young, but if Woll is coming in, then maybe the Leafs decide to have Andersen-Sparks in the NHL, Kaskisuo-Scott/Woll in the AHL and Scott/Woll-Bouthillier in the ECHL. Garteig and McAdam only have solid, but not spectacular, numbers in the ECHL this year despite playing on the best team. You can probably get 40-45 games for Woll/Scott, and like 25-30 games for Bouthillier.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Chicoutimi was not that great either, although Shank definitely went on some hot streaks. There is a good chance he could get drafted this year.

We may be very young, but if Woll is coming in, then maybe the Leafs decide to have Andersen-Sparks in the NHL, Kaskisuo-Scott/Woll in the AHL and Scott/Woll-Bouthillier in the ECHL. Garteig and McAdam only have solid, but not spectacular, numbers in the ECHL this year despite playing on the best team. You can probably get 40-45 games for Woll/Scott, and like 25-30 games for Bouthillier.
I could see them going with something like that for sure. Regarding Bouthillier, despite poor numbers I think he is still probably better off in the ECHL than an overager year in junior. I'm surprised that isn't the case for most prospects to be honest.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Sparks was relatively well known and highly touted when he signed. He had shown enough to be named to the USA WJC team and to head straight to the Marlies on an ATO after his junior season ended.

I don't think these goalies are that similar, TBH.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I could see them going with something like that for sure. Regarding Bouthillier, despite poor numbers I think he is still probably better off in the ECHL than an overager year in junior. I'm surprised that isn't the case for most prospects to be honest.

It'll suck for Saint John for sure though. Both of their current goalies will be leaving, and while they have some semi-decent prospects, none of them really have any QMJHL experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad