Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 7th Rd (#209 OA via ANA)- Zachary Bouthillier (6'2, 188lbs, G, Chicoutimi Sagueneens)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Those stats.. Oh my.. Why???

CHL stats are pretty hard to judge compared to AHL/NHL since they are a lot more high scoring games It's wide open.

With that said, look at his recent playoff stats.

Just a late round goaltender that probably caught the eye of Charbonneau in the QMJHL playoffs.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Drafting goalies is a crapshoot in any round. Most netminders don't fully develop until they are in their mid 20's and beyond. You should draft a goalie every year.

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
Don't know much about this guy. But the Qmjhl is a good league for goalies due to lots of shots on goal so this should be good for his development

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Dare say his numbers were better then Potvin's and he turned out okay. :)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Zachary Bouthillier speaks with Leafs Nation Network after being drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Zachary Bouthillier meets with the media after being selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yup. Goalies are pretty "whatever". Just keep having one or two at all levels and keep feedin' them through the system.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
The word from the floor is that the Leafs were enamored with this kid, more than any other club by a considerable margin. Sounded like almost full buy-in from the amateur side and they were thrilled to scoop him up at 200 something as they were pretty confident they were just about the lone interested party (which is not necessarily a bad thing)

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I'm glad they're waiting to the 7th to pick their project goalie instead of the middle rounds like they did with Ian Scott. Bad team + offensive based league makes him intriguing despite poor stats.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think we are batting .500 on Chicoutimi goalies. Felix Potvin turned out okay, but Eric Fichaud was a bust.

Reactions: JerseyMike34

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
CHL goalies are impossible to project - honestly, I feel like you’re sometimes better off drafting goalies on bad teams with mediocre numbers but lots of raw potential (ie Matt Murray) and hoping for the best. Hope this guy’s one of them

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
CHL goalies are impossible to project - honestly, I feel like you’re sometimes better off drafting goalies on bad teams with mediocre numbers but lots of raw potential (ie Matt Murray) and hoping for the best. Hope this guy’s one of them

Pretty much this.

I mean, some people were pretty hyped when we had Pogge, and he had an outstanding WJC. Then he was just kinda.... meh. However management drafted a goalie the next year, who had an amazing international tournament, but opted to trade him off because they felt having a goalie that was potentially star-caliber would be bad for the team for some reason.

With this guy, who knows? He did have a good playoffs. A lot of junior teams can basically be crap teams, so you have to step up to the table and roll the dice in most cases. Or you could draft someone like Tyler Parsons who played on the London Knights with Marner, Dvorak, etc. He had the benefit of backstopping a top-tier junior team and put up some really solid numbers. Because of his numbers, he was drafted in the 2nd round. Where is he now? This past season was split between the ECHL and AHL. In the ECHL he was 12-12-0 in 28 gp, with a 3.16 GAA and a .905 sv%. In the AHL he was 1-3-0 in 8 gp, with a 4.39 GAA and a .856 sv%. Those numbers are nowhere near his last two seasons with the Knights where his averages for GAA and sv% were 2.35 and .923.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
The word from the floor is that the Leafs were enamored with this kid, more than any other club by a considerable margin. Sounded like almost full buy-in from the amateur side and they were thrilled to scoop him up at 200 something as they were pretty confident they were just about the lone interested party (which is not necessarily a bad thing)
Dubas said that our agm's kid saw him sitting there and then told dad :laugh: We value gud pro/60 more than pucks impeded/60 so who really cares its the 7th rd ffs!!!!

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Anybody know where to find video of this kid's game? There is only the 2 on you tube that I can find.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
I've caught a couple of his game highlights (not directly him), from the playoffs on the QMJHL website.

QMJHL – Includes live game day coverage, audio and video clips, exclusive stories, game tickets, stats, standings, schedules and features.

Look for anything Sagueneens. He was the starter for the playoffs.
He faced the Acadie-Bathurst Titan in the first round and singlehandedly won 2 games for Chicoutimi against the future Memorial Cup Champions.
He is a very competitive goaltender who challenges every shot with good positioning.
As a Titan fan, we also have Ty Outen out there on you summer camp.
So I am split here, but nevertheless Bouthillier is a very good goaltender at the Junior level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad