Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 1st Rd Pick (#29 OA via STL) - Rasmus Sandin (5'11 186lbs, D, Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Dubas said something like He is exactly the type of Dman we want in the system we are playing, anyone remember exactly what he said ill take a look for it

Reactions: Menzinger

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Here's a provocative question, is he ahead of Lil? Fair to say he's had a better camp.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Here's a provocative question, is he ahead of Lil? Fair to say he's had a better camp.

well yes in that he doesn't have as far to go to his ceiling as Lilly does, but that's because Lilly was listed some places as Erik Karlsson lite so top4 Dman vs potential #1D, not that I think he reaches it but that elite offensive potential is there with lilly not so much sandin

Reactions: DarkKnight

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Dubas said something like He is exactly the type of Dman we want in the system we are playing, anyone remember exactly what he said ill take a look for it

here is the quote, mine had a little too much oomf in it but still glowing praise:

What did you like about him?
Dubas
: For me, personally, having had a chance to watch him, what I liked about him is that I think he plays the position the way we want it to be played. He defends very, very well. He had to defend some very difficult minutes, especially as they had injuries as the playoffs went along. But he did that the whole season. He moves the puck extremely well. As it went on through the season especially, his competitiveness showed better and better. He was just an all-around defenseman that we were very, very happy with. That is what we were happy about with Rasmus.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
well yes in that he doesn't have as far to go to his ceiling as Lilly does, but that's because Lilly was listed some places as Erik Karlsson lite so top4 Dman vs potential #1D, not that I think he reaches it but that elite offensive potential is there with lilly not so much sandin
Sandin has a cerebral game from my observation. He is cool and calm. I think they complement each other

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Ahead, maybe. But the upside isn't as high. He's a much safer player,which isn't a bad thing at all. Liljegren missed significant time though so I'd put them pretty close as far as development goes.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sandin has a cerebral game from my observation. He is cool and calm. I think they complement each other

yep, I agree it think though that the offensive ceiling with Lily makes him that much more dynamic. I really hope they keep them together on the marlies this year but if they do put Sandin on the marlies they would want to treat him like they did last year with Lilly playing a lesser number of games I'd imagine, and I think we need more ice time for lily this year

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
This could be an absolute steal at 29th. Not to mention the fact that Dubas traded down and scooped up another pick.

He is the complete package.

-High hockey sense and IQ
- Can defend and already seems to fit the Toronto defensive mould.
- Very good in the offensive zone and a real decent shot.
- Plays and has the confidence of a player much older.
- Has instant chemistry with our other 1st round pick in Liljegren.

The list goes on and on.

I hope they put him in the AHL and allow him to play the year alongside Liljegren. I think they would both really advance each other's development. Plus this is a line that has real potential and one I could see united on the big club. I'd hate to see Sandin dropped down to junior and Liljegren playing with some plug with no NHL future.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I am hoping they come up to the leafs together for their 1st full season. The would make a perfect permanent pair
I like that in theory, but I think most Dmen need a dependable vet as their partner in the first year.

However, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the Leafs gotta put these two guys together on the Marlies asap to get then to gel and kearl from each other. A full year together on the marlies and maybe another next year and I think having them come up together as D partners in their rookie seasons is not as dangerous as it sounds

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I like that in theory, but I think most Dmen need a dependable vet as their partner in the first year.

However, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the Leafs gotta put these two guys together on the Marlies asap to get then to gel and kearl from each other. A full year together on the marlies and maybe another next year and I think having them come up together as D partners in their rookie seasons is not as dangerous as it sounds
They would be sheltered on the last pair. Nothing beats the speed of the NHL.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This could be an absolute steal at 29th. Not to mention the fact that Dubas traded down and scooped up another pick.

He is the complete package.

-High hockey sense and IQ
- Can defend and already seems to fit the Toronto defensive mould.
- Very good in the offensive zone and a real decent shot.
- Plays and has the confidence of a player much older.
- Has instant chemistry with our other 1st round pick in Liljegren.

The list goes on and on.

I hope they put him in the AHL and allow him to play the year alongside Liljegren. I think they would both really advance each other's development. Plus this is a line that has real potential and one I could see united on the big club. I'd hate to see Sandin dropped down to junior and Liljegren playing with some plug with no NHL future.

If they keep him in the AHL they're best bet is to give him the Bracco treatment and spend a lot of the first part of the season getting him stronger in the weight room. You can tell he has some physical development yet to do and I don't know if he's physically ready for a full pro year.

Reactions: Menzinger

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Some analysis were describing him as a puck moving dman which I didn't like. He is very solid in his own zone, his hockey IQ is incredible. He's an all around talent that needs to put some weight on. Could make this team sooner than most think.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I thought both Sandin and Dermott had similar first training camps immediately after their drafts. Bodes well for Sandin in the future!

He’s much less physically mature than Dermott was though in his draft +1 year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think he's much more of a sure thing than Liljegren.

Don't love Sandin's offensive game though.

I think we're hoping for a Vlasic, Hamhuis, Stralman, Lindholm, etc type of guy. Doesn't have that elite 50+ point potential. But can absolutely play a shutdown role against the top guys in the league, can skate, can move the puck well, great positioning, etc.

That's literally the biggest need on this team (other than getting a legit elite all around Norris candidate like Doughty). So hopefully he can get to or close to that level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad