Confirmed with Link: Leafs 2016 Rookie Camp Roster (Budweiser Gardens September 16-18, 2016.)

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Good roster. Interesting to only see 2 invites. There is a lot in house already, though.

The Pens goaltending should give them an opportunity in a short tournament. The Sens have a well rounded forward unit. Not sure Montreal has a noticeable strength and I'd be surprised if they won.

Has Sawchenko or any of the top ranked goalies from this past draft that were skipped over been brought in by anyone? The Leafs prospect depth in that position should give them an advantage in courting one. There is an ELC to be had at that position.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We are misssing our top 5 picks and 7 of 11.

We drafted a lot of Europeans and NCAA guys early and in general. It's definitely a new approach, but it allows us to take 3 or 4 years before bringing them in. Considering we are having troubles fitting everyone in right now, that's probably a good idea. Buys us some time to figure out what to do with the old before the new comes along.

Holl is a weird addition to this list. I guess because the Leafs have so few rd in the organisation?

Another good player to use as an example. He and Valiev are models of a smooth transition to the AHL.

Mr Hockey*

We drafted a lot of Europeans and NCAA guys early and in general. It's definitely a new approach, but it allows us to take 3 or 4 years before bringing them in. Considering we are having troubles fitting everyone in right now, that's probably a good idea. Buys us some time to figure out what to do with the old before the new comes along.

Another good player to use as an example. He and Valiev are models of a smooth transition to the AHL.

They drafted with the salary cap in mind, 4 or 5 years from now. We will need ELC players to step in and play a big role in 4,5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Aside from the obvious guys like Marner, I'm really interested in watching Moore play.

Haven't seen to much of him, but he made enough of an impact to get an ELC and stood out in the rookie camp this summer.

Mr Hockey*

Aside from the obvious guys like Marner, I'm really interested in watching Moore play.

Haven't seen to much of him, but he made enough of an impact to get an ELC and stood out in the rookie camp this summer.

I wonder if it had anything to do with Brooks and Marner being his linemates :laugh:

buchleafs7717

Feb 11, 2016
Nice to see Tyler Wong get invited to this had a real strong development canp for us and had a great year in Lethbridge last year. Smaller guy but plays a good hard game similar to gallagher. With Wong Nirlsen and Reagan in this tourney alone and Brayden Burke getting a look at flames camp will be exciting for me not only as a Leafs fan but a Lethbridge Hurricanes fan as well

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
matthews and nylander dont need this...marner probably doesnt either, just go hit the weight room

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Looking forward to seeing bracco, Brooks, timashov, Andreas Johnson, and Nielsen from us. Also looking forward to Reid Gardiner from Pittsburgh.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner the lone Maple Leafs super prospect headed to rookie tournament in London

Mitch Marner’s goal to make the Maple Leafs will start with having centre stage to himself when the club’s top draft picks are tested in the NHL rookie tournament next month. Marner, who must make the Leafs or return to the London Knights, was named to the roster of 31 for the four-team face-off in London, Sept. 16-18. Budweiser Gardens is home ice for Marner, the NHL’s fourth overall pick in 2015, a chance to shine without 2014 hotshot William Nylander, who has graduated from this event, and this year’s No. 1 overall, Auston Matthews, playing in the World Cup for Team North America.

Marner did well in two of the three tourney games he played in last year, getting some NHL exhibition action in as well. The winger returned to the Knights bursting with confidence and won every award and trophy in the case as the team powered to the Memorial Cup.

Leaf head coach Mike Babcock gave Marner a simple message in the summer — dedicate yourself to conditioning, nutrition and weight training to overcome questions about your smallish body hindering an NHL quest.

Full Story: http://www.theobserver.ca/2016/08/26/leafs-name-rookie-tournament-roster

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Good roster. Interesting to only see 2 invites. There is a lot in house already, though.

The Pens goaltending should give them an opportunity in a short tournament. The Sens have a well rounded forward unit. Not sure Montreal has a noticeable strength and I'd be surprised if they won.

Has Sawchenko or any of the top ranked goalies from this past draft that were skipped over been brought in by anyone? The Leafs prospect depth in that position should give them an advantage in courting one. There is an ELC to be had at that position.

Yeah unlike last season. Remember that?

YOU'RE ALL INVITED!

article_939686bf-3fae-4550-9bde-c08bd4ab627b.jpg

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Once again, no Europeans or NCAA players will be at this tournament. They have their own crap to do. In fact, you can already see highlights of players like Korshkov in the regular season I'm pretty sure.

What about the Russian we drafted from Victoria.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner should slice and dice making mincemeat out of this competition, as he is the highest drafted and highest regarded blue-chip prospect in attendance of all teams in the tournament.

I think that is what management is expecting as Marner attempts to impress on his way to making the parent team.

Mad Brills*

I always look forward to this tournament, because it means hockey's back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad