Post-Game Talk: Leafs 2, Pens 1 (OT): **** Off Sully

Status
Not open for further replies.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
It seems like the Penguins are the only team in the league that hasn't gotten the new 3 on 3 concept figured out. You have to keep possession of the puck. You can't turn it over to make a line change or clear the zone. You can't waste it on blind shots at the net from no where while 2 of your team mates are changing. The longer you hang onto the puck, the more likely you are to win. 3 on 3 OT is all about the puck possession. Every time i see the Pens play in OT i see them make the same dumb mistakes.. while their opponent is patient and usually capitalizes.

Perfect example of that again tonight. Pens wasted their one good possession with a Malkin shot that was going no where with no one around the net. They flipped a few freebees to the Leafs. Leafs didn't turn back anything. And eventually they got the zone time and the score.

Overall this was one of the most deflating games i've seen this team play since Sully came on. They looked slow, weak, and extremely disinterested... playing a lousy opponent.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
OT goal was on both Pouliot and Fleury but I think this game is on the terrible powerplay. That 5 on 3 was inexcusable.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Let's touch on that final play. DP has the puck roll off his stick. Also hits the ref. DP needs to make sure he has that play. Then.. MAF makes it 100x worse by ****ing randomly diving around. What in the world is he doing!??! The guy who scored fanned on the shot. He would have just stood there and saved it easily.

What the **** was that!?

Gardiner only fanned on the shot because MAF too Marner's feet out when he missed the poke. Instead of getting the pass off cleanly, it was a bouncer (which, as the CBC guys pointed out, actually helped him score because of how he fanned).

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Ugly game. Leafs were making the right plays along the boards but we just kept trying to jam it there giving them easy outs. Line changes were just wrong. Putting Kessel and Kunitz with Geno = Geno having to do everything, Sheary can't handle a pass and Toronto did a good job keeping the puck away from Sid. Put Kessel or Hags with Sid if you want to try something. We were lucky to get a point out of this one.

Letang was missed at even strength.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Both forwards bolted as soon as Pouliot picked up the puck. The players in the offensive zone once the puck was turned over were Pouliot, Marner, and Gardiner. Poke check was a pretty clear desperation play in a situation that was probably going to end up in a goal against regardless.

Allow them to make the mistake though. Put the pressure on them to make the shot with a goalie still in the net. Not sprawled out over the ice.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Pouliot, who played a solid game and only made 1 glaring mistake: "you ****ing suck"
Fleury, who played a solid game and only made 1 glaring mistake: "Anyone giving MAF a minus tonight is a ****ing idiot".

Correct. DP tunes it over cuse he has no concept that refs exist leading to a 2 on 0. MAF missed the poke. Giving MAF a minus tonight is a ****ing joke. He was by far the best Pens.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
But that's the problem with Fleury he can't close the deal. Plays great then pulls a *****.

How about the powerplay closes the deal for once? Wouldn't that be nice.

This has been Fleury's best game since last season. If you are putting this on Fleury then I feel sorry for you.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Honestly feel for Fleury after this one.

Plain unlucky first goal. Then loads of saves, our PP gets a huge chance to help him out and doesn't. Then a rookie mistake does him in while the lasting memory is him flopping and losing another.

But... bottom line... quite a bit to work on.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Kunitz and MAF need to go, like yesterday.
And for the love of Gretzky, get Guentz up here and play him.

Guentz/Sheary-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Phil
Sheary/Guentz-Bones-Rust
Wilson-Cullen-Kuhn

This ain't rocket science folks.
Sully et. all are making it seem like it is.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
you can count the Pens players who had a good game tonight on one hand. This is on damn near everybody. Just a bad game all around.

DP and Fleury were two of the better players tonight, but man was that a mess of an ending :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But that's the problem with Fleury he can't close the deal. Plays great then pulls a *****.

If the goaltender keeps out all but 1 of 40+ shots and the game still goes to overtime, he's not the one failing to close the deal. I know he could have done better with the last one but it should never have come to that.

I think the real big mistake MAF made tonight was not to let in the regulation 2 goal deficit needed before this team starts playing :sarcasm:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kunitz can **** off already.

You know what, this is on Sullivan and Rutherford.

The OBVIOUS thing to do after last night, if you wanted to use it as an excuse to dress Fehr, was to bench Kunitz. Kunitz was dog**** against LA. Kuhn was really good. So, he benches Kuhn. He refuses to hold Kunitz accountable, and I can't imagine it's lost on other guys (like Geno early in the year or Kessel tonight . . . if he's not going to hold Kunitz accountable, then they KNOW it's all just words with Sully where vets like them are concerned).

And, as I keep saying, JR has toyed 3 times in the last 2 years with trading that piece of **** Kunitz. There were deals that could've been made. Could've had Oshie. Heck, I'd have even taken Hartnell. I definitely would've taken a conditional 2025 pick just to be rid of the useless piece of ****. But, JR just won't pull the trigger.

EDIT: Forgot to say **** the Circle of Idiots. Guerin, Morehouse, all of you who see Kunitz as anything more than the albatross on this lineup who **** Sid's game up last year and Geno's game this year . . . all of you can **** off, you stupid mother*******.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Powerplay has cost us two games in row, and has been **** all season. Plain and simple.

Whoever is in charge of it needs to go and if it's Sullivan he needs to pass it off. Immediately. We have too much talent for our PP to be such **** for so many years.

Fleury looked great tonight tho.

DP set up the 2 on 0 by his poor puck control. Fleury was beat even if he stayed in the net. He didn't gaff.

Agreed completely

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Correct. DP tunes it over cuse he has no concept that refs exist leading to a 2 on 0. MAF missed the poke. Giving MAF a minus tonight is a ****ing joke. He was by far the best Pens.

DP ran into a ref and accidentally turned it over. Fleury started seizing on the ice in response. See, I can do it the same exact way and I'm just pointing out how much of a hypocrite you are.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Guentzel with another goal tonight.

Best goals-per-game in the AHL. Probably an unsustainable shooting % though.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
It's almost sad how you can predict Fleury will give up at least one flopper goal and one weird bouncing goal per game. It's especially sad because he was pretty solid for most of the game. He just can't help himself when the puck is anywhere near the crease and possession belongs to the other team, he just has to dive for it no matter what.

Also Kessel needs to bring fifty sticks with him and change them every shift or up his flex, the stick breaks are getting aggravating af.

F*** this back-to-back.

EDIT:

Oh and one more thing, why on earth did Pouliot get time on the 3 on 3. You have 4 other perfectly responsible defensemen, use them Sully you genius, especially when you send out what is possibly one of your worst defensive forward pairings. Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad