Post-Game Talk: Leafs 2, Pens 1 (OT): **** Off Sully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Fleury and Pouliot both managed to spoil good games because of a bad play at the end. Seriously, as soon as I said Fleury looked good today, he went fish out of water mode and left a wide open net in OT.

Was just coming to say the same thing (admittedly, I only caught last 10 minutes).

Pretty annoying to see Sid's 3 on 3 line take the puck out of the zone twice and do nothing as a result.

Why the hell was Kunitz on the second line again?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Let's touch on that final play. DP has the puck roll off his stick. Also hits the ref. DP needs to make sure he has that play. Then.. MAF makes it 100x worse by ****ing randomly diving around. What in the world is he doing!??! The guy who scored fanned on the shot. He would have just stood there and saved it easily.

What the **** was that!?

Starting to think Fleury WANTS to lose. Self sabbotager?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pouliot overskated the puck *then* it hit the ref's skate. That's on him.

Yep. Overskated as it rolled off his stick. He's looking up as he should be. But he lost the puck prior to it hitting the ref. Absolutely on DP.

Fleury, though, my lord. He would have easily saved the additional shot because the guy fanned. My lord is he dumb.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Fleury was actually really good for 95% of the game, but two GAF™ brand gaffes put a sour spin on it.

Ref needs to get out of the way.

Kunitz needs to get out of Pittsburgh.

Powerplay is still a major issue, both in terms of theory and execution.

A point is better than none, but I can't feel good after that effort.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Powerplay has cost us two games in row, and has been **** all season. Plain and simple.

Whoever is in charge of it needs to go and if it's Sullivan he needs to pass it off. Immediately. We have too much talent for our PP to be such **** for so many years.

Fleury looked great tonight tho.

DP set up the 2 on 0 by his poor puck control. Fleury was beat even if he stayed in the net. He didn't gaff.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Seriously. Those overtime pairs were ********. Absolutely stupid. Sheary proves night in and night how much he doesn't belong on the top line....yet there he is sucking it up in overtime.

Every time sheary messes up tho...nothing is said. If its someone else...5 pages of comments.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Fleury and Pouliot both managed to spoil good games because of a bad play at the end. Seriously, as soon as I said Fleury looked good today, he went fish out of water mode and left a wide open net in OT.

Agree on both counts.

My biggest goat of the game is Sully.

- Benches Kuhn and in the process ***** up the 4th line.
- Swaps Rust and Horny for two periods and ***** up two other lines.
- Breaks up HMK and deprives Geno of any help.
- COACHES the 5 on 3 to set up Geno where he's got no natural one timer (guys were passive, but Geno being set up as a decoy is COACHING)

Look, you have no Letang or Daley. That's going to throw a monkey wrench into things, especially when your offense is so reliant on your defense. You don't **** up what's working because things aren't going quite as well. You adjust to accommodate the limitations on defense.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
You just had a feeling that blowing those terrific PP opportunities were going to hurt them.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Why would he go for that poke? it costs a goal against 99% of the time.

Both forwards bolted as soon as Pouliot picked up the puck. The players in the offensive zone once the puck was turned over were Pouliot, Marner, and Gardiner. Poke check was a pretty clear desperation play in a situation that was probably going to end up in a goal against regardless.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
****ing pathetic weekend. ****ign score you idiots. anyone giving MAF a minus tonight is a ****ign idiot. Hes the only reason he Pens got a point. DP you ****ing suck.

Pouliot, who played a solid game and only made 1 glaring mistake: "you ****ing suck"
Fleury, who played a solid game and only made 1 glaring mistake: "Anyone giving MAF a minus tonight is a ****ing idiot".

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Also, DP had a good game except for the last play. Don't think he deserves one of the many minuses that can be doled out just because of the last shift.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Does Fleury never ever ****ing learn to stop diving for pucks. **** sake. Pure idiocy. No other goalie in the NHL does that ********.

Kessel was down on Kunitz level tonight.

Sid was brutal too.

If there's one guy I will give props to it's Maatta.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Both forwards bolted as soon as Pouliot picked up the puck. The players in the offensive zone once the puck was turned over were Pouliot, Marner, and Gardiner. Poke check was a pretty clear desperation play in a situation that was probably going to end up in a goal against regardless.

Yep.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Fleury flopping around and/or trying too hard.. Tom Cruise overacting... some people just have a mantra in life. Not a game to be proud of by our forward group.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Agree on both counts.

My biggest goat of the game is Sully.

- Benches Kuhn and in the process ***** up the 4th line.
- Swaps Rust and Horny for two periods and ***** up two other lines.
- Breaks up HMK and deprives Geno of any help.
- COACHES the 5 on 3 to set up Geno where he's got no natural one timer (guys were passive, but Geno being set up as a decoy is COACHING)

Look, you have no Letang or Daley. That's going to throw a monkey wrench into things, especially when your offense is so reliant on your defense. You don't **** up what's working because things aren't going quite as well. You adjust to accommodate the limitations on defense.

So Sully is still in charge of the PP? I knew he oversaw it when he first arrived, but I wasn't sure if he handed it back to Tocchet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad