Post-Game Talk: Leafs 2, Pens 1 (OT): **** Off Sully

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I still don't understand why they moved Dumoulin over to the right side when he's never played there and Pouliot has. Just asinine. Dumoulin has struggled this year, the answer isn't to take him out of his comfort zone and make him play a position he's never played before.

Their refusal to break up Cole and Schultz is also weird and has had a bad ripple effect on the rest of the D pairings. Try Schultz and Dumoulin in their natural spots. Try Maatta and Pouliot again. Let Cole and Oleksy be a shutdown pairing for as much mileage as you can get out of Oleksy (which won't be much) and then call up Warsofsky and give him a shot there. It's like they try to make the D pairings as uncomfortable and unnatural as possible sometimes.

It was the first (whole) game without Letang and Daley, so I think they'll try different pairings in the near future. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense, so

Dumoulin-Schultz
Maatta-Pouliot
Cole-Warsofsky/Oleksy/Ruhwedel
or
Maatta-Schultz
Dumoulin-Pouliot

definitely worth a try.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I still don't understand why they moved Dumoulin over to the right side when he's never played there and Pouliot has. Just asinine. Dumoulin has struggled this year, the answer isn't to take him out of his comfort zone and make him play a position he's never played before.

Their refusal to break up Cole and Schultz is also weird and has had a bad ripple effect on the rest of the D pairings. Try Schultz and Dumoulin in their natural spots. Try Maatta and Pouliot again. Let Cole and Oleksy be a shutdown pairing for as much mileage as you can get out of Oleksy (which won't be much) and then call up Warsofsky and give him a shot there. It's like they try to make the D pairings as uncomfortable and unnatural as possible sometimes.

Yeah, Dumo is having a rough season and they've moved him to his off side. Iirc he's struggled on the right side before. I get wanting to keep Cole and Schultz together and I get not wanting Pouliot on his off side as well, but something has to give there.

Maatta/Dumoulin-Schultz
Pouliot/Dumoulin/Maatta-Cole
Pouliot/Dumoulin/Maatta-Oleksy

Makes more sense than a struggling dumo on his off side. Cole has experience on the right and has handled it before and the LDs all get to be on the left.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
[Letang is] a dynamic defenseman and we're obviously going to miss him, but he's hardly the only variable here. We also lost Daley, and had our 4th game in 6 days.

Let's see how we do when we whittle those variables down.

I appreciate the more thoughtful analysis of the game. (Sometimes we are guilty of worthless ad hominem attacks on this forum.)

That said, it is the defense that powers the team bus and it is the offense that drives it.

Back in the Mario days, it was a Paul Coffey (and later a Larry Murphy) who fueled the offensive engine and it was the Mario et al. who drove it home.

I am sure most everyone on this forum has followed hockey closer than I have over the last decade. That said, I have seen a quite a bit of hockey over the last few decades.

Without an offensive D-man such as Letang, a team will have to modify its playing style, resulting in many 2-1 and 3-2 games. This is not exciting hockey, but it might be successful to eke out a few victories (and overtime decisions). This might even get a team into the playoffs. I am not sure, however, if this style of play will be ultimately successful against more offensively minded teams.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think that right now Warsofsky is better than Pouliot. I'd run:

Dumoulin - Schultz
Maatta - Warsofsky
Cole - Pouliot

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Yeah, Dumo is having a rough season and they've moved him to his off side. Iirc he's struggled on the right side before. I get wanting to keep Cole and Schultz together and I get not wanting Pouliot on his off side as well, but something has to give there.

Maatta/Dumoulin-Schultz
Pouliot/Dumoulin/Maatta-Cole
Pouliot/Dumoulin/Maatta-Oleksy

Makes more sense than a struggling dumo on his off side. Cole has experience on the right and has handled it before and the LDs all get to be on the left.

Pouliots played a bit on the right side a done very well (not at NHL level though).

They'll play around with it but Dumo would have been one of the last I'd get to switch sides so it was a bit strange.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Really fun game to watch. Sucks we couldn't score more than 1g in 2 games.

Really annoying to see this end of the world whining mentailty after a loss. Apperently "everyone is a train wreck. Sullivan should "**** off". Horny and Fleury are trash."

Sometimes it feels like Pens fans are literally the worst fans on HFB.

Pens won 7 in a row then lost 2 OT games. They're in 1st place. It's a long season. Losses will happen. Pens are no worse right now than they were a week ago.

Yeah I mean it's 9 games with points in a row. And frankly they should have won both of the past two games they lost and didn't only because of bad execution in one and hot goaltending in the other.

I don't like the Maf poke check in OT or Kunitz being put on Geno's line for who knows what reason but beyond that I couldn't be happier right now with the team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I didn't think the Pens played well at all last night. The LA game, the Pens played outstanding and deserved a better fate. But last night against Toronto the Pens got the result their play deserved.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Kings really pounded us and I think that was a factor against the Leafs.

We outplayed the Kings in possession but that resulted in a lot of hits against.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
With so much money tied up into a handful of players we always have to be careful with other contracts. With Dumo having a down year what type of contract does he get? Do we go the shorter term route or lock him up for awhile?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The Kings really pounded us and I think that was a factor against the Leafs.

We outplayed the Kings in possession but that resulted in a lot of hits against.

I tend to agree. We looked tired last night.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

He'll retire after this season. That was probably discussed with JR and probably why he is still here, to retire as a Penguin.

If that's the case Sully needs to sit down with him and say that he is going to get limited minutes (say on the 4th line). If he's playing 6-8 minutes a game I still think he could be effective playing with Cullen and Kuhnackl. He should be able to play harder because he won't be "saving" himself. Cullen is great with the puck in his stick and Kunitz still knows the right spots to go. He's just not cut out for the players he's up against the higher he plays.

At that stage if he can't perform, he doesn't play. Whether Sully will do that. Hopefully when we get close to the playoffs it's already sorted.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I really hope you're right. But seeing him get promoted back to Geno's line reminds me there's always that little chance they bring him back.

Only way that happens is if he wants to play for league minimum. If he doesnt want to retire I can see a team offering him a 2 year deal . they'll look at his 3 rings..experience.. Want to have someone who can be a mentor for the young guys.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Only way that happens is if he wants to play for league minimum. If he doesnt want to retire I can see a team offering him a 2 year deal . they'll look at his 3 rings..experience.. Want to have someone who can be a mentor for the young guys.

I hope so. But then I think there's no way they'll put him back in the top 6 either. But then they do. Every time.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He'll retire after this season. That was probably discussed with JR and probably why he is still here, to retire as a Penguin.

If that's the case Sully needs to sit down with him and say that he is going to get limited minutes (say on the 4th line). If he's playing 6-8 minutes a game I still think he could be effective playing with Cullen and Kuhnackl. He should be able to play harder because he won't be "saving" himself. Cullen is great with the puck in his stick and Kunitz still knows the right spots to go. He's just not cut out for the players he's up against the higher he plays.

At that stage if he can't perform, he doesn't play. Whether Sully will do that. Hopefully when we get close to the playoffs it's already sorted.

He's already said he plans to play a couple more years. At least.

The 3rd line was supposed to be easier for him as well, it wasn't because he's that done. All he'll
do is drag down another line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad