OT: Leaf Lounge #145: The Man, The Myth, The Legend. Corey Schwab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Do you know much about baseball or soccer or something like that? Can volunteer with a kids sports team for the summer.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Do you know much about baseball or soccer or something like that? Can volunteer with a kids sports team for the summer.

Nope lol. I'm hoping I can help out with Kids help phone. I really want to help an organization like that. I've emailed them, just waiting to hear back :)

And kyle if you've never volunteered how dif you graduate high school? :laugh:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Hospitals are very strict. They've already filled the very limited amount of spots for students.

And I've already applied in the community centres. And they've said they rarely take students

Maybe things are different now. When I was in high school, I volunteered at a hospital for a summer and then at a community center which actually turned in to my first paying job.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
For high school I did like 8 legit hours of volunteer work, and for the rest my dads friend just signed em off for me. I remember I was so worried that somehow I might get caught and they would be rejected :laugh:. Some dude in my grade had like over 1000 hours or some ****, thats basically all he would do.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Nope lol. I'm hoping I can help out with Kids help phone. I really want to help an organization like that. I've emailed them, just waiting to hear back :)

And kyle if you've never volunteered how dif you graduate high school? :laugh:

My friend made a website, registered it with the government as a non-profit business. Basically just signed off 40 hours on my sheet :laugh: saying I helped with it. He sold a few things on the site to make extra cash.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
My friend made a website, registered it with the government as a non-profit business. Basically just signed off 40 hours on my sheet :laugh: saying I helped with it. He sold a few things on the site to make extra cash.

:laugh::laugh:

Bert thats sick. I'm hoping to volunteer somewhere where I could potentially get a job later.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Not a fan of the concept of 'volunteer work'. It's basically slave labour.

Yeah it's good to help people, but it should be done out of generosity or because you actually want to do it. Instead, it's basically forced (i.e. high school hours to graduate) or because you have to do it to look good for certain jobs, improve your resume, etc.

Just do well in school, and work part-time for expenses or your own personal spending money. If that's not enough anymore, then we've gone off target as a society.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Red Cross
SPCA
Aquarium
Rotary Club
Boys and Girls club
Scouts Canada

Big organizations are looking for volunteers all the time. Obviously there are good local one's but I only know Vancouver based ones. I'm going to start looking for a 2nd place to volunteer in April or May.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Alzheimers society, autism Ontario, Canadian blood services, Canadian cancer society, Canadian mental health association (CMHA), community living, big brothers - big sister, habitat for humanity, Ontario March of dimes, YMCA and most cities/townships are looking for volunteers as well.

If you're just looking to rifle through hours you may want to volunteer for events like the ride for heart, the ride to conquer cancer, Toronto ribfest, etc..

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
A guy from work volunteers at a hospital every Saturday. Says he sees pretty ****ed up stuff all the time. Helps out in Emergency mostly.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Not a fan of the concept of 'volunteer work'. It's basically slave labour.

Yeah it's good to help people, but it should be done out of generosity or because you actually want to do it. Instead, it's basically forced (i.e. high school hours to graduate) or because you have to do it to look good for certain jobs, improve your resume, etc.

Just do well in school, and work part-time for expenses or your own personal spending money. If that's not enough anymore, then we've gone off target as a society.

Also, unpaid/small honorarium internships. That's just nonsense. Funnily enough, it's always the multi-billion dollar corporations with the worst internships. MLSE was offering $75 a week to people who wanted to intern there. A WEEK.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Thanks guys!

I've checked a bunch before and they require you to be like 18+. But will surely check the rest.

And epic, I'm done my 40 hours. I'm volunteering because I want to. I'm sick of just lounging at home during the summer.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Thanks guys!

I've checked a bunch before and they require you to be like 18+. But will surely check the rest.

And epic, I'm done my 40 hours. I'm volunteering because I want to. I'm sick of just lounging at home during the summer.

Why don't you look for a paying job?

Ace88*

Part of my program at school is an internship worth three credits. We have to find our own internship, most of which are paid, AND IT COSTS $2000 TO ****ING REGISTER FOR THE COURSE.

I found that out today because im planning on doing the internship this summer. I am so unimpressed right now, what the **** am i paying $2 ****ing grand for if i have to find my own god damned placement and there isnt even any class time or instructor and the ****ing internship will most likely not be paid? It's just so much ****ing ********, you might as well just wipe your ass with a bunch of hundred dollar bills.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Part of my program at school is an internship worth three credits. We have to find our own internship, most of which are paid, AND IT COSTS $2000 TO ****ING REGISTER FOR THE COURSE.

I found that out today because im planning on doing the internship this summer. I am so unimpressed right now, what the **** am i paying $2 ****ing grand for if i have to find my own god damned placement and there isnt even any class time or instructor and the ****ing internship will most likely not be paid? It's just so much ****ing ********, you might as well just wipe your ass with a bunch of hundred dollar bills.

That's bull. I think it cost like like a couple hundred bucks during my final semester to have my coop the previous semester, but there was a bunch of paper work to be done and whatnot. Not to bad. $2000 is robbery though.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Watched Sri Lanka versus India warm-up this morning, worked, now I'm just relaxing. Getting old.

I've had a similar day. Class, lab, class, now at lab. Some productive **** later on in the day, and probably home from there.

Can't really party today because of $$$ and another cold I've caught. Gonna watch BD vs Nepal tomorrow. I'm very intrigued by Nepal, since they seem decent and actually have locals playing for their team.

For the smokers out there, what are your fav brands? I've tried Benson, Marlboro Reds, Mint and Dunhill so far. I'm trying to stick to the lighter stuff these days. Don't really like anything in particular, but Dunhill seemed the smoothest to me.

Apr 1, 2010

Perhaps you should do that before you use those bills to pay for the course. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad