Le retour des Nordiques Part XIX: Le Supplice de la Goutte

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm not hoping for additional suffering, just for the suffering to be shifted elsewhere. In fact, the suffering would decrease as QC fans far outnumber Canes-or-Yotes fans. So it's basically philanthropy. Besides, QC simply deserves a team more than Arizona/Carolina.

Submitting the bolded as the new thread title. This kind of ridiculousness needs to be memorialized.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
and is it any wonder that we respond with equal vitriol

keep in mind that not a single negative post on this board, as far as i can recall, was ever started by a southern fan

we are just defending ourselves

Look man, people in Canada are just sick of losing their culture to the US. That's it from what I can see. Their TV, food, movies, etc are all pretty much american and now you lose the main sport too. [MOD]

That's from what I can gather. I actually support expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Look man, people in Canada are just sick of losing their culture to the US. That's it from what I can see. Their TV, food, movies, etc are all pretty much american and now you lose the main sport too. [MOD]

Canada does more to protect their culture than most any other country. This is just a lot more visible, so I get it.

We should really protect ourselves from Canadians down here in the US though, I'm pretty sure we went the first three months of 2016 with every Billboard #1 Hit being from a Canadian artist/group. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I'd like to see anything outside of the provincial media regarding QC starting 2019, to make me beleive it.

So we'll see how Wednesday plays out. However, with Quebecor officials expected to be in Vegas and address the media is positive IMO. I think it will be 'not our time right now' type of message.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Look man, people in Canada are just sick of losing their culture to the US.

Well, to me it's pretty ridiculous that they're taking it out on the one group of people who actually make an effort to respect their history and culture - southern hockey fans.

I want Quebec City to get the Nordiques back. I want these passionate fans to get their chance to have a hometown team and show the NHL what a great city QC is. But QC fans do not deserve an NHL team one whit more or less than I do.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Canada does more to protect their culture than most any other country. This is just a lot more visible, so I get it.

We should really protect ourselves from Canadians down here in the US though, I'm pretty sure we went the first three months of 2016 with every Billboard #1 Hit being from a Canadian artist/group. :laugh:

we do?, other than TV and radio splain lucy

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Look, the whole reason it seems that Canadians are targeting / looking to steal U.S. teams is because Bettman and the BoGs have specifically set things up in such a way that everyone in Canada knows that the ONLY way a team is going to be given to a Canadian city is thru relocation. Hence the relocation talk. It doesn't matter how good your plan is nor how much money one has... all things being equal ( and not even ) a U.S. city will be given a team over a Canadian city without question.

The only way Winnipeg got a team and was ever going to get a team was via relocation, and that is even with the backing of a man that has a net worth approaching $25 Billion.

People in Winnipeg should be thankful that Seatttle, Vegas, KC, Houston, in other words any US city were unable to accept the Thrashers.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

[MOD]

So beside Cultural Protectionist laws on media? Isn't that enough to say Canada does more than most countries? Is there another country in the western hemisphere that even does that outside of Canada? Seems like that's plenty.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
if you are that passionate about it why would you wish that pain, suffering and despair on another fan base?

Because i only care about me myself and I

remember how much it hurt when they and the jets left the first time?

It hurt because its was and still would be the only game in town. A place like Atlanta still has NBA NFL MLB so plenty of other options so i didnt shed tears for them.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

Well, to me it's pretty ridiculous that they're taking it out on the one group of people who actually make an effort to respect their history and culture - southern hockey fans.

I want Quebec City to get the Nordiques back. I want these passionate fans to get their chance to have a hometown team and show the NHL what a great city QC is. But QC fans do not deserve an NHL team one whit more or less than I do.
Fair enough. It's not my opinion so much as what I hear from older Canadians.

MOD

So beside Cultural Protectionist laws on media? Isn't that enough to say Canada does more than most countries? Is there another country in the western hemisphere that even does that outside of Canada? Seems like that's plenty.
I'm against those. for the record. I don't like simsubs either...

DJ Omnimaga

Sep 23, 2012
Québec City area
codewalr.us
Maybe Montreal forced the NHL to wait 3-4 more years before expanding to NHL to give them enough time to figure out how to win a game against Quebec without Carey Price? :sarcasm:

Habs are better against good teams than bad teams. This means Nords will beat them 10-0 for 5 years straight :)

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I just don't understand how anyone can be happy with something a league would say for Quebec 2019. I mean, what makes you believe that 2019 will be THE good time ?

What if CAD in 2019 is 60 cents instead of high 70s ?
What if Cleveland gets a team and there is now two instead of one more teams in East than in West ?
What if Seattle gets its stuff done and has an arena ready in 2019 ?

So yeah, um people from Quebec City, don't be too mad, don't boycott the World Cup and Habs pre-season games in your city and we guarantee in 2019, if everything is like we want it, and *cough* we have no other choice *cough* you will have your Nordiques back.

It's far from a ''catastrophe'' scenario. It's just time to move on and enjoy something else.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011

so a league with 7 canadian teams is losing it sport?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Just from a historical viewpoint on how this came to be.

Back in the late 1960's one of the most influential AM radio stations in Top 40 music was located in Windsor and owned by US based RKO General. Canada passed a law that at least 30% of music played on a Canadian station has to be produced in Canada.

http://www.thebig8.net/demise.html

CKLW was an engineering fluke because of Windsor's location. The station had to protect stations in Montreal and Quebec City along with Mexico but their signal at night was heard easily in most of the Northeast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKLW

Peasoup

May 7, 2013
At the same time, Canadian cultural protectionism is a little weird considering how nearly undistinguishable it's cultural products are from America's.

There's this weird duality about Canadians in that they want and don't want to be seen as different to Americans at the same time.

The Molson "I am Canadian" tv ad of years past was a spectacular showcase of all that. When you resort to have to mention that you have a Prime Minister instead of a President, you are clearly running out of meaningful ideas. "Oh we don't actually say "aboot" and "live in igloos", we're actually just like you!"

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Just from a historical viewpoint on how this came to be.

Yes, yes, thank you for your contribution. Cancon. Know all about it. Didnt matter.... why, on a clear day or night, good crystal set, could pick up the insane Harry Nelson of WRKO all the way from Massachusetts.... Remember Harry Fenway?... Ya?... Im sure you must. Influenced generations of youngsters such as yourself to follow a career path in radio & television arts.... old Harry there, DJ'd your Gradgeeation Party at Bunker... err, make that Benny Hill Community College did he not?...

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yes, yes, thank you for your contribution. Cancon. Know all about it. Didnt matter.... why, on a clear day or night, good crystal set, could pick up the insane Harry Nelson of WRKO all the way from Massachusetts.... Remember Harry Fenway?... Ya?... Im sure you must. Influenced generations of youngsters such as yourself to follow a career path in radio & television arts.... old Harry there, DJ'd your Gradgeeation Party at Bunker... err, make that Benny Hill Community College did he not?...

One of the best - WRKO was also owned by RKO General that owned CKLW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad