Le retour des Nordiques Part XIX: Le Supplice de la Goutte

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
"Patient"

It is over, let's accept it and move on, no point in losing ourselves in false hope. It... is... over!

It's five more days after a year and a half of legitimate "process," even longer if you include all the build up. Chances are there's decent/okay news for QC on Wednesday. Declaring it dead now seems pointless when the preliminary finish line is so close.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
"Patient"

It is over, let's accept it and move on, no point in losing ourselves in false hope. It... is... over!

Im keeping a 10% open mind till June 22.

The news that benoit robert will be in Vegas to talk to the press after the announcement is making me wonder. I get why Dion is there but Robert ???

There's also this crazy theory from la zone about those 300M in Swaps but i dont believe anything coming from Jocelle and those guy

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
I grew up in western NB, and although I'm 100% English, I'd LOVE for QC to get the Nordiques back. Brand new arena, great fan base, every game would be a sellout, imagine the rivalry with Habs (and others), it'd inject tons of money into the league (raising the cap), it's a beautiful city, the Canadian East Coast needs a team close by... they absolutely deserve it and it'd be a travesty if they don't get one very soon. I'm hoping the Canes or Yotes relocate there ASAP.

Plus, they have the best colour scheme and jerseys in the league IMO.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I grew up in western NB, and although I'm 100% English, I'd LOVE for QC to get the Nordiques back. Brand new arena, great fan base, every game would be a sellout, imagine the rivalry with Habs (and others), it'd inject tons of money into the league (raising the cap), it's a beautiful city, the Canadian East Coast needs a team close by... they absolutely deserve it and it'd be a travesty if they don't get one very soon. I'm hoping the Canes or Yotes relocate there ASAP.

Plus, they have the best colour scheme and jerseys in the league IMO.

if you are that passionate about it why would you wish that pain, suffering and despair on another fan base?

remember how much it hurt when they and the jets left the first time?

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
if you are that passionate about it why would you wish that pain, suffering and despair on another fan base?

Come on, after so many years of atrocious and frankly embarassing tv ratings and attendance. And of the nhl bending backwards to help while not long before it bended backwards to relocate northern teams/expand there. Is it any wonder people wish only ill on some southern franchises?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In scanning the Canadian media there seems to be some thought that Quebec will be promised a team that will start no later than 2019-20 and sooner if a team relocates.

What some are now claiming is the owners did not want TWO teams expanding at the same time as they would then lose 2 players instead of one and apparently this was a major concern to Chicago. Having a second expansion draft 2 years later may have appeased some teams.

Selon ce qu'il a été permis d'apprendre, la candidature de Québec a été écartée, pour l'heure, en raison d'un dollar canadien qui inquiète les dirigeants du circuit, mais aussi parce que les propriétaires ne veulent pas avoir à soumettre leurs formations à deux repêchages d'expansion au même moment.

«Les propriétaires ne veulent pas de la possibilité de perdre deux joueurs importants d'un seul coup», affirme une source au fait du dossier.

Translates to

As he was allowed to learn the candidacy of Quebec was ruled out for now, due to the Canadian dollar which worries the leaders of the circuit, but also because the owners do not want to submit training two repechage expansion at the same time.

"Owners do not want the possibility of losing two key players in one go," says a source familiar with the matter.

On why Vegas was chosen over Quebec came down to Foley was not willing to wait another 2 years and Quebec can deal with the disappointment of waiting until 2019-20.

The draft theory is at least plausible and it buys more time for Arizona and Quebec. It also opens a window for Seattle to finally do something.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Come on, after so many years of atrocious and frankly embarassing tv ratings and attendance. And of the nhl bending backwards to help while not long before it bended backwards to relocate northern teams/expand there. Is it any wonder people wish only ill on some southern franchises?

and is it any wonder that we respond with equal vitriol

keep in mind that not a single negative post on this board, as far as i can recall, was ever started by a southern fan

we are just defending ourselves

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Yes, Fenway, that's what I also believe is likely to happen.

And I would be incredibly happy if it's what ends up happening.

However, I think the other likely possibility besides a garantee, is a message from the NHL that "we'll THINK about reviewing your candidacy again in 2019-2020, maybe, we'll see, I dunno"

And for me that means a firm no in lawyer/Bettman terms (and means I'll be going in "burn everything" mode)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
And if Seattle does something and if it ends up being a choice between QC and Seattle for the next expansion team... we all know who's getting it.

Not if the NHL says Quebec will get a team by 2019-2020 this week. They did something similar in 1997 when they approved 4 expansion teams but staggered their entry over 3 seasons.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
and is it any wonder that we respond with equal vitriol

keep in mind that not a single negative post on this board, as far as i can recall, was ever started by a southern fan

we are just defending ourselves

Look, the whole reason it seems that Canadians are targeting / looking to steal U.S. teams is because Bettman and the BoGs have specifically set things up in such a way that everyone in Canada knows that the ONLY way a team is going to be given to a Canadian city is thru relocation. Hence the relocation talk. It doesn't matter how good your plan is nor how much money one has... all things being equal ( and not even ) a U.S. city will be given a team over a Canadian city without question.

The only way Winnipeg got a team and was ever going to get a team was via relocation, and that is even with the backing of a man that has a net worth approaching $25 Billion.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011

Regardless there will be suffering involved, whether it's 1) QC (constantly being rejected after having their team stolen away long ago), or 2) a US team forced to relocate.

I'm not hoping for additional suffering, just for the suffering to be shifted elsewhere. In fact, the suffering would decrease as QC fans far outnumber Canes-or-Yotes fans. So it's basically philanthropy. Besides, QC simply deserves a team more than Arizona/Carolina.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Le retour des Nordiques Part XX: Title suggestions?

Thread titles for Part XX now being accepted

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Look, the whole reason it seems that Canadians are targeting / looking to steal U.S. teams is because Bettman and the BoGs have specifically set things up in such a way that everyone in Canada knows that the ONLY way a team is going to be given to a Canadian city is thru relocation. Hence the relocation talk. It doesn't matter how good your plan is nor how much money one has... all things being equal ( and not even ) a U.S. city will be given a team over a Canadian city without question.

The only way Winnipeg got a team and was ever going to get a team was via relocation, and that is even with the backing of a man that has a net worth approaching $25 Billion.

that is perfectly fine though and none of us are upset about that, the only thing that gets our backs up is the haughty, holier-than-thou attitude, that some, not all mind you though, just some of y'all have and how derisive you are towards us

if carolina did not have a team, or ever had one rather, i would be as passionate about them getting one as you qc fans are

i just might be a little bit friendlier to fans of teams who might lose theirs

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yes, Fenway, that's what I also believe is likely to happen.

And I would be incredibly happy if it's what ends up happening.

However, I think the other likely possibility besides a garantee, is a message from the NHL that "we'll THINK about reviewing your candidacy again in 2019-2020, maybe, we'll see, I dunno"

And for me that means a firm no in lawyer/Bettman terms (and means I'll be going in "burn everything" mode)

Saying Quebec gets a team in 2019-2020 buys the NHL time. Quebec fans and media will grumble but accept it. I have to concede the expansion draft issue is realistic. From a PR standpoint you will have nothing but smiling faces at the podium.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
that is perfectly fine though and none of us are upset about that, the only thing that gets our backs up is the haughty, holier-than-thou attitude, that some, not all mind you though, just some of y'all have and how derisive you are towards us

if carolina did not have a team, or ever had one rather, i would be as passionate about them getting one as you qc fans are

i just might be a little bit friendlier to fans of teams who might lose theirs

It drives me nuts how some fans are much more equal than others. The Nords left 21 years ago and their fans are still wept for, but people can't disregard/discard Canes fans fast enough.:shakehead

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Saying Quebec gets a team in 2019-2020 buys the NHL time. Quebec fans and media will grumble but accept it. I have to concede the expansion draft issue is realistic. From a PR standpoint you will have nothing but smiling faces at the podium.

Lets be honest tho...chances of that being truth are worse than chances of me winning a million dollars tomorrow morning.

I would accept it if NHL UNCONDITIONALLY says Quebec gets a team that skates on ice October 1st 2019.

But who's kidding who...they will never say that. They will keep us as an open door, then in 2-3 years Seattle will get in front of us. Then in 5 more years another place will get in front of us and so on.

Let me tell you something...Jets wouldn't have been back to Winnipeg is someone else would have been ready to take them south of 49th.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Frankly, Quebec being legally promised a team in 2020 in the grand scheme of things is not a huge disappointment, and its even a cause for celebration.

What would be disappointing is a flat out rejection, and a BS statement that they might maybe look to Quebec in a future.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Damn...people really do like living on hopes of false illusions.

Jesus ****ing christ I'm losing hope for humanity daily.

Take a breath, what you think is going to happen is the worst case scenario, so you're already there. Anything above GB telling everyone Quebec is a minor league city is an improvement over what you likely think is going to happen, that people aren't at the same level and have a little more optimism should be a good thing.

I think QC gets a team, I've thought that for a while. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad