RD Victor Soderstrom (2019, 11th, ARZ)

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
This thread made me feel better about the pick.

Sans the concussion.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Not my expectation or comparison by any means, but given how the Coyotes have talked about him and where they had him ranked, I have to believe they think they have the next Duncan Keith on their hands.

Button compared Söderström to Keith.

Personally I am reminded of Kimmo Timonen, with the edge to Victor at the same age.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Very smart and mature game in the pro league. Something they seem to value, second rounder Filip Westerlund from the other year was similar when coming up into pro - not developed much since however.

Söderström is a smooth skater but maybe not the acceleration and stride of Keith. More of an agile, calm and smart puck-mover than some other recent high picks on D out of Sweden who like to join the rush and carry the puck all over the ice. If he can get bigger and stronger he'll be a solid top-4 with decent point production and PP upside.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I guess a comment like that boosts a prospects confidence. At the same time, if he fizzles out the whole organization looks incompetent for ranking him 3rd.

Reactions: lawrence and _Del_

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
I guess a comment like that boosts a prospects confidence. At the same time, if he fizzles out the whole organization looks incompetent for ranking him 3rd.
They already do look incompetent. I like Soderstrom but there is no way he goes 3rd overall ahead of Dach/Byram/Turcotte.

Reactions: TheWhiskeyThief

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They already do look incompetent. I like Soderstrom but there is no way he goes 3rd overall ahead of Dach/Byram/Turcotte.
Umm, we see crazy stuff happen at the draft. So, depending on who is picking that absolutely could happen. Thomas Hickey went 4th overall. They took Hayton 5th last year. Since we often see picks we deem surprising, I don't think you can dismiss this as a possible outcome. You may not agree with it, but there is certainly a chance it could have happened. Burke was a bad GM for the Leafs, but I remember him being mocked for saying he had Rielly first overall, and everyone scoffed at the idea of him being ranked ahead of Yakupov. 7 years later, Rielly has a serious argument for being the 1st overall pick in that draft.

Reactions: Gains

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Umm, we see crazy stuff happen at the draft. So, depending on who is picking that absolutely could happen. Thomas Hickey went 4th overall. They took Hayton 5th last year. Since we often see picks we deem surprising, I don't think you can dismiss this as a possible outcome. You may not agree with it, but there is certainly a chance it could have happened. Burke was a bad GM for the Leafs, but I remember him being mocked for saying he had Rielly first overall, and everyone scoffed at the idea of him being ranked ahead of Yakupov. 7 years later, Rielly has a serious argument for being the 1st overall pick in that draft.
In this specific case, do you think Soderstrom is the third best prospect in the draft. If he was the BPA at 3, why didn’t they trade up sooner? I don’t buy it for a second that he was third on their list.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
In this specific case, do you think Soderstrom is the third best prospect in the draft. If he was the BPA at 3, why didn’t they trade up sooner? I don’t buy it for a second that he was third on their list.
The cost would be to high to trade up sooner. And Chayka probably had a good idea as to where Soderstrom might be picked.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No team has traded a top 10 pick in a pick based trade in the past decade. Unless Arizona wants to start trading future firsts, it is going to be very difficult to move up from 14 into the top 6 or so.

I don't think Soderstrom is the 3rd best prospect in this draft. But, it is also entirely possible one NHL team did which is the Coyotes. People didn't buy it when Burke said Rielly was at the top of the Leafs board. I mean, Hickey was universally viewed in pretty much the same regard as Soderstrom if not lower (Central Scouting had him as essentially a 2nd round pick is ranked as 26th among NA Skaters) and TSN at him at #13 overall but Hickey managed to go 4th. Which means he was 4 or higher on LA's board that year.

Just because I don't agree with something, doesn't mean I don't accept it to be possible. We see crazy shit at the draft every year. I'm sure if we randomized the order of the draft, we would see some other crazy stuff because we have 31 teams with different lists. Every year there is some shocking pick. For the Red Wings to take Seider, it means their internal list probably had him at 3-5, and Broberg was probably in the 4-7 range on the Oilers. If Seider and Broberg are that high on some teams internal lists, it isn't surprising at all for some team to have Soderstrom at 3. Sometimes these crazy views work out like Scheifele over Couturier, PLD over Puljujarvi, other times you see these things go wrong like Hickey or Boston's 2015 first round (although one reach is a very good player in Debrusk but Senyshyn is painful, Zboril was drafted in regular range and has disappointed). I just don't get how someone can watch the draft year after year, and think it is impossible for teams to have rankings that if some scouting service posted you would deem them crazy.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I like Söderström, but to call him 3rd best player on your list is if you’ve taken 8 other players off your list as you’ll never have a chance to grab them.

He’s a 5 tool, 4 star player. Good at everything, his edgework is very good.

But he’s not great at anything.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I like Söderström, but to call him 3rd best player on your list is if you’ve taken 8 other players off your list as you’ll never have a chance to grab them.

He’s a 5 tool, 4 star player. Good at everything, his edgework is very good.

But he’s not great at anything.

Tools-wise he may not be truly great or elite at anything (except as you mention his edgework/mobility) but his hockey IQ is some of the best, if not the best, in the entire draft. He's a guy who has the potential to both shutdown the opponents most dangerous players but also being a puck-moving D who can put up some offense. The Keith comparison is not too far off in that sense.

Hockey IQ is the one thing you can't teach and considering he's above-average in every other aspect of the game, if he just continues to refine and improve in all of those areas over the years he could be a very, very good player for many years in the NHL. So even though I don't agree that he's the 3rd best prospect in the draft, I can see how Arizona might justify that. Will certainly be interesting to look at this 5-6 years from now.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Chayka did say they tried to move up sooner but couldn't get a deal done, which isn't surprising to hear.

Reactions: d rake

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
We have no way of knowing if third on their board means Hughes, Kakko, Soderstrom, or if it means they didn't include some players at the start of the board because they knew they wouldn't make it to their slot. Even if the list includes those guys, the talk seemed to be that between 3 to 15-ish there was no real consensus, so slotting any one of those guys in at 3 shouldn't be a shock.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00