LD Ty Smith - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2018, 17th, NJD)

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I'm happy with this pick. They desperately needed another young LD in the pipeline, especially one of his talent.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Perfect situation being drafted by NJ.. Very special player and im shocked he slipped... Good thing he was drafted by a quieter fanbase on this site cause then his thread wont be littered with nonsense and jealousy from other fans. It can be strictly business!!

Watch for him to put up 80+ pts next season in the WHL(may be less tho if hes at WJC and sticks around a few games with NJ)

Be very excited NJ, you guys hit the jackpot with him at 17. He shoulda been a top 10 pick

Most of us keep to our business unless some clown starts trying to trash talk our players.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
That ability to eat 5v5 minutes efficiently like Greene is one of the things that's always separated Ty Smith from the other "smallish defencemen" at the top of this draft for me. I think he does it with some more offensive flair, but he does have the potential to be that big minute munching stabilizing presence that tilts the ice when he's out there, because of the efficiency in his game.

And he is exactly the same size as Greene too.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yes, I like Smith more and thought he might be a big riser.

As an Oilers fan I was dreading what I thought would be an inevitable Smith pick.

Only because I don't think there is anything elite about him. I do think he's a safe pick though. I see a solid 2nd pair dman there down the road.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
As an Oilers fan I was dreading what I thought would be an inevitable Smith pick.

Only because I don't think there is anything elite about him. I do think he's a safe pick though. I see a solid 2nd pair dman there down the road.

I've only seen him in a few international games and in last years playoffs but his skating seemed out of this world to me. I knew he was on the ice, reminded me of when I watched Reilly after we drafted him. His offensive instincts were impressive too, I thought. To me he's got Krug potential (top pairing dman on some teams). I liked his tools more than I liked Dobson when I saw him play.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Screenshot_20180625-153303.png

His ES production shits on Provorov's and Rielly's draft year numbers. To say be doesn't have elite potential is absurd

Last edited:

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Provorov was the much better prospect pre draft. Not even close. He was a possibility at #4 in the stacked 2015 draft while Smith was down at 17 in a much much weaker draft. Not in same stratosphere as prospects.
I don't recall anyone saying he was a better prospect. Weird response

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Provorov was the much better prospect pre draft. Not even close. He was a possibility at #4 in the stacked 2015 draft while Smith was down at 17 in a much much weaker draft. Not in same stratosphere as prospects.

...weaker draft? can I borrow that crystal ball? lmao

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Well you were kind of inferring it.
No, I wasn't. I was dispelling the notion that Smith doesn't have elite potential when he literally scored at the highest ES rate of any WHL draft eligible dman in their draft year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 99664987

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Provorov is a wonderful young player, one of the best in the game, and will be a mainstay first pairing defender for years. It's reasonable to expect All Star appearances and more. Suggesting that Smith can do the same is not an insult to Provorov nor is it suggesting Smith will be better in all aspects of the game, even if he may project to have one or two elements that may have been interpreted by some as better than the high measuring bar set by Provorov when he was a similar age. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a NJ/PHI argument over the two. They are very different players and I'm sure most NJ fans would be ecstatic if Smith could follow a development path like Provorov.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Not saying Smith will have Provorov potential.. but what dumb reasoning.

Provorov "could have went top 4!" Whereas you just state Smith's draft position? There were plenty of mock drafts that had Smith as a top 10 pick...so he "could have!" went higher too.

Reactions: Pouliot and cg98

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Provorov is a wonderful young player, one of the best in the game, and will be a mainstay first pairing defender for years. It's reasonable to expect All Star appearances and more. Suggesting that Smith can do the same is not an insult to Provorov nor is it suggesting Smith will be better in all aspects of the game, even if he may project to have one or two elements that may have been interpreted by some as better than the high measuring bar set by Provorov when he was a similar age. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a NJ/PHI argument over the two. They are very different players and I'm sure most NJ fans would be ecstatic if Smith could follow a development path like Provorov.
My only point was that Smith absolutely has elite potential as evidenced by outscoring Rielly and Provorov in their draft years by a decent margin. When watching video of him, you see a + skater, great vision and elite IQ. His defensive play is pretty good, and I bet it gets better when he bulks up. If he was 6'1, rather than 5'10-11, this guy is a definite top 10 pick. GMs still overrate size.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
We will see what he looks like at the Team Canada under 20 camp this summer. He may have been wearing down by the under 18 championship (wishful thinking on my part). He is still a massive steal at the 17 spot because he is a defensmen with elite hockey sense and speed with above average in every other aspect of the game minus size/strength. I would take him over Boqvist for sure.

Reactions: 99664987

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad