LD Ty Smith - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2018, 17th, NJD)

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Not saying Smith will have Provorov potential.. but what dumb reasoning.

Provorov "could have went top 4!" Whereas you just state Smith's draft position? There were plenty of mock drafts that had Smith as a top 10 pick...so he "could have!" went higher too.

When do people learn that it's not about draft position but on how you work and how dedicated you are to break through to the big league.
Yes your draft position says a lot about your potential but the most important thing is if you can adapt and transfer your skill to the next level

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
When do people learn that it's not about draft position but on how you work and how dedicated you are to break through to the big league.
Yes your draft position says a lot about your potential but the most important thing is if you can adapt and transfer your skill to the next level

That is something so many of us have a hard time figuring out because we don't get to know these kids on a personal level most of the time. Which can have profound effects in how we rate them. We rate them entirely on their visuals. How well do they skate, shoot, pass? How do they see the ice, see passing lanes, shooting lanes? How much can they bench press and can they do a chin up? How tall are they?

There is a huge part of these kids that we don't get to see and that is all about their will to learn and be taught. How well they retain information and how dedicated they are to reaching their full potential. As outsiders to the entire thing we never get that. It kinda sucks. Would love to get a video AMA with some of these kids and just pick their brain for answers.
Sorry just kind of ranting on Smiths thread. But what if?

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
That is something so many of us have a hard time figuring out because we don't get to know these kids on a personal level most of the time. Which can have profound effects in how we rate them. We rate them entirely on their visuals. How well do they skate, shoot, pass? How do they see the ice, see passing lanes, shooting lanes? How much can they bench press and can they do a chin up? How tall are they?

There is a huge part of these kids that we don't get to see and that is all about their will to learn and be taught. How well they retain information and how dedicated they are to reaching their full potential. As outsiders to the entire thing we never get that. It kinda sucks. Would love to get a video AMA with some of these kids and just pick their brain for answers.
Sorry just kind of ranting on Smiths thread. But what if?

I hear you good point.

It could be real interesting to have a scouting report on the mental side of things or more like a personality test just like we got on the physical and the skills they have.

A want a category under "working hard" or "leadership" or "wants to get better" to look further into these kids. Phrases I hear without any evidence or stats to back it up

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
7d7_devilsdevelopmental14.jpeg

9fa_devilsdevelopmental24.jpeg

5f6_devilsdevelopmental20.jpeg

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary
Fantastic landing spot for Smith. Was able to see him play the Hitmen quite a few times this year and he looked like an NHL player already. Not flashy at all but so so smart. Gotta think his performances at the top prospects game an U18s dropped his stock otherwise I can't think of any reason he didn't go higher.

Reactions: My3Sons

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Given the current roster and what we saw with Bratt last year I think he'll get a genuine opportunity to make the team.

Last edited:

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Given the current roster and what we saw with Bratt last year I think he'll get a genuine opportunity to make the team.
Nah no need to rush him, especially being a D. Bratt also played his draft+1 season against men In Sweden and ran out of gas after the all star break this past year.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I can't believe he dropped this far.

You guys are insanely lucky, and pretty much every team after Carolina (except Vancouver) is going to be kicking themselves for years.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Can someone explain to me why the NBCSN broadcast crew described this guy as having limited offense and no wow factor?

He plays like Drew Doughty, crazy speed and dangles but always 100% under control, never makes a mistake.

He scored at a historic rate in the WHL but the claim is he won't be able to replicate that at the next level? What's the basis for that? I don't understand their take at all.

Reactions: 99664987

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Can someone explain to me why the NBCSN broadcast crew described this guy as having limited offense and no wow factor?

He plays like Drew Doughty, crazy speed and dangles but always 100% under control, never makes a mistake.

He scored at a historic rate in the WHL but the claim is he won't be able to replicate that at the next level? What's the basis for that? I don't understand their take at all.
East coast media doesn't watch or pay attention to the WHL. Didn't show amazing at the 2 events they pay some attention to(U18's and TPG). Avs needed forwards more than defense but they'll look dumb(as will other) for passing on him.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Smith is honestly the perfect player for a system like new jersey. I see him becoming a top 4 defenseman real quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad