LD Stanislav Svozil - HC Kometa Brno, Extraliga Jrs (2021, 69th, CBJ)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Hopeful between Svozil, Jiricek, Hamara and Nemec from Slovakia that we get some good Central European defenders soon.

There was a time in 00's when the Czech defense was very talented. There were a lot of good Czech defenders born in the late 70's and early 80's...Kaberle, Kubina, Zidlicky, Kuba, Hejda, Michalek, Skoula, Rachunek. All very good NHL players in their day. The well seemed to have dried up since then for the most part.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Hopeful between Svozil, Jiricek, Hamara and Nemec from Slovakia that we get some good Central European defenders soon.

There was a time in 00's when the Czech defense was very talented. There were a lot of good Czech defenders born in the late 70's and early 80's...Kaberle, Kubina, Zidlicky, Kuba, Hejda, Michalek, Skoula, Rachunek. All very good NHL players in their day. The well seemed to have dried up since then for the most part.
I think it has something to do with climate too. Kids were skating on frozen ponds and lakes and playing hockey in their free time, like me 15-18 years ago. Nowadays winters are mild and it is impossible without drowning lol. Other hockey nations have it much better i am jealous that kids in Finland can just take skates and go.

Reactions: slumpy43

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
While waiting for the new generation, Czechia still has a very talented defender with Filip Hronek. Apart from the names already mentioned, I noted the name of Jiri Tichacek as 2nd Czech defender for the 2021 draft.

Reactions: czech

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
While waiting for the new generation, Czechia still has a very talented defender with Filip Hronek. Apart from the names already mentioned, I noted the name of Jiri Tichacek as 2nd Czech defender for the 2021 draft.
Never heard of him and i am not impressed by his stats. Czech 2nd and junior league are total garbage.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I think it has something to do with climate too. Kids were skating on frozen ponds and lakes and playing hockey in their free time, like me 15-18 years ago. Nowadays winters are mild and it is impossible without drowning lol. Other hockey nations have it much better i am jealous that kids in Finland can just take skates and go.

Sadly not the case in Finland anymore either. There is barely any snow until January and temperatures are much higher than 10-15 years ago.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Very impressed with him today as well. Man, this year's D class is really deep.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Svozil is not the kind of defenceman that is going to stand out in this ultra-defensive environment, and with a limited ice time on top of that. You guys must be mixing him up with Jiříček, another defenceman with a cage.

Reactions: ZadinaN11

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Would you guys say he's projecting to be a 1st round pick in June?

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
It pains me as hell to say this but Svozil should have probably gone to another league before this season started. I still believe he's incredibly talented but this year in Brno certainly hurt his draft projection. Which itself doesn't bother me that much since in the long run, who cares whether a player is drafted 10th or 40th overall. The trouble though is that he was playing around 12 minutes a game on average, in a very defensive role and with virtually no PP time at all, which is simply not how you develop a young offensive defenseman. The coach/owner had all the nice things to say about him but in the end of the day, anytime it seemed as if Svozil could be promoted to a bigger role on the team, he always managed to pull out a trade and acquire another 30+ years old defenseman.

Czech professional hockey has never been that much about developing future stars of the NHL draft, the idea is more like bringing the kids along slowly, not to overuse them, let them earn their spot in the squad, and then, after a few years, give them a bigger role perhaps? Which doesn't have to be a bad philosophy per se but it's totally inoperable with regards to NHL drafting. I think Svozil has been a victim of that this year. The team was also struggling all season long, and it didn't help either.

Nevertheless, his skill, intelligence and offensive instincts do stand out. When on his game, he's got something in him that only elite players possess. Yes, he's prone to making occasional mistakes in his own zone, whether due to trying to be too cute or being overpowered by his fully physically mature opponents. Here and there, he can look raw when playing against men and often needs to make one or two good simple plays in the beginnig of the game to feel it. Nečas was exactly the same. He needs to play a lot, be given offensive assignments, and know that even if he makes a mistake he's going to be on the ice again the very next shift. This past season, he had none of that.

Last edited:

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
It pains me as hell to say this but Svozil should have probably gone to another league before this season started. I still believe he's incredibly talented but this year in Brno certainly hurt his draft projection. Which itself doesn't bother me that much since in the long run, who cares whether a player is drafted 10th or 40th overall. The trouble though is that he was playing around 12 minutes a game on average, in a very defensive role and with virtually no PP time at all, which is simply not how you develop a young offensive defenseman. The coach/owner had all the nice things to say about him but in the end of the day, anytime it seemed as if Svozil could be promoted to a bigger role on the team, he always managed to pull out a trade and acquire another 30+ years old defenseman.

Czech professional hockey has never been that much about developing future stars of the NHL draft, the idea is more like bringing the kids along slowly, not to overuse them, let them earn their spot in the squad, and then, after a few years, give them a bigger role perhaps? Which doesn't have to be a bad philosophy per se but it's totally inoperable with regards to NHL drafting. I think Svozil has been a victim of that this year. The team was also struggling all season long, and it didn't help either.

Nevertheless, his skill, intelligence and offensive instincts do stand out. When on his game, he's got something in him that only elite players possess. Yes, he's prone to making occasional mistakes in his own zone, whether due to trying to be too cute or being overpowered by his fully physically mature opponents. Here and there, he can look raw when playing against men and often needs to make one or two good simple plays in the beginnig of the game to feel it. Nečas was exactly the same. He needs to play a lot, be given offensive assignments, and know that even if he makes a mistake he's going to be on the ice again the very next shift. This past season, he had none of that.
The way he was handled this past season has been really dissapointing. Complete opposite to how Plzen did with Jiricek.
This past season might cost him the 1st round, although he looked every bit as a top prospect at the WJC, so maybe if he can do well at the upcoming U18 Championship, he could still go in the latter half. He will have carry a very mediocre Czech squad though.

You kind of mentioned it, but I just don't understand what Svozil's role was on that Brno team in the first place. Sent to Prerov multiple times, had games where he would see little ice time, not to mention power play time, which he should have absolutely been given. Even if they thought they had better options (debatable to say the least,) you have to force a prospect of Svozil calibre in there occasionally, the same way Necas got all that play time alongside Erat on the top line, even though he wasn't necessarily the "best" option for it. You happen to have a talented offensive defenseman and you plug him onto the 3rd line alongside what might be the purest example of defensive defenseman in Extraliga at the moment (not to mention the team as whole seemed to be an elite 1st line and three lines of fourth liners, but I won't pretend like I have watched many of Kometa's games.)
I am hopeful the treatment he got won't have any longterm impact on Svozil, after all, Filip Hronek, probably the only good defenseman Czech Republic produced in the past ten years, had less than ideal draft season in Hradec Kralove and still turned out fine. But he will probably need to change team/league for next year.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I will say it again. Svozil is much better D than Jiricek, he is better skater, he has much higher IQ with elite creativity in o-zone and only thing that is worse is his shot, he is already complete player in his own end and he absolutely can become 1st pair D. He is not worse this year. He is getting nearly no icetime with shitty teammates, because Kral is doing good and Kometa is one line team. On the other hand we have Jiricek who is getting all the time he can get in Plzen, that is why he is getting so much more attention. When i see him he reminds me of Zidlicky. If he is not top 10 pick of 2021 draft then he will become one of the biggest steals of the draft in recent history and i am talking about Brayden Point lvl of steal.

Last edited:

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
look at his icetime and he is still 2nd best defenseman of the team this guy is f***ing insane if this does not scream elite then you are absolutely crazy, he should get out of Brno as soon as he can and never look back

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
look at his icetime and he is still 2nd best defenseman of the team this guy is f***ing insane if this does not scream elite then you are absolutely crazy, he should get out of Brno as soon as he can and never look back

1. What's your hard-on for hating seemingly every European league despite having next to no knowledge or understanding about those which is something you exibited multiple times?
2. Have you considered that his CF% (which is now apparently THE metric of "goodness") is so good because his minutes were so low and extremely sheltered?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad