LD Stanislav Svozil - HC Kometa Brno, Extraliga Jrs (2021, 69th, CBJ)

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
EP: Stanislav Svozil at eliteprospects.com

An offensive defenseman who owns a terrific set of hands and great hockey IQ. I am very impressed by how mature his play is, he doesn't panic under pressure and knows when to jump in as a 4th forward. After a rather slow start to the season he eventually emerged as one of the better defenseman in the U19 league, in the U16 playoffs he was a man amongst boys, easily the best player whenever on ice. At this point he is still rather going under the radar, but I fully expect him to make the U18 Hlinka team this summer as an underager, maybe see some Extraliga ice afterwards as well.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
He looks really good for his age. Played 16 minutes against Kladno on their small ice yesterday, including quite a few D-zone starts against Jágr's line. Apart from one bad pass in his own zone, he was almost flawless for the entire game. He's a swift skater, handles the puck well and looks calm and composed on the ice. A few quotes after the game in Kladno:

Jaromír Jágr: "I knew he was playing with a cage but I had no idea he was 16. He's a very good skater. On the first goal they scored against us, he found a player in front of a half-empty net beautifully. Hats off to the way he was playing, the way he was reading the game. "

Tomáš Plekanec (Svozil's teammate in Brno): "He's been playing very well since preseason games. As a defenceman, he makes the plays, is confident with the puck, skates very well. Alright, but he's still a young kid and he's a got lot of work ahead of him. If he keeps it up, he's going to become an excellent defenceman."

David Pospíšil (former player and hockey pundit): "I must admit I'm thoroughly excited about him. This was the first time I saw him in person and his decision making looks like that of a 25 years old player with 400 games under his belt. He reads the game, sees the passing lines, isn't afraid to jump on the attack."

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
He looks really good for his age. Played 16 minutes against Kladno on their small ice yesterday, including quite a few D-zone starts against Jágr's line. Apart from one bad pass in his own zone, he was almost flawless for the entire game. He's a swift skater, handles the puck well and looks calm and composed on the ice. A few quotes after the game in Kladno:

Jaromír Jágr: "I knew he was playing with a cage but I had no idea he was 16. He's a very good skater. On the first goal they scored against us, he found a player in front of a half-empty net beautifully. Hats off to the way he was playing, the way he was reading the game. "

Tomáš Plekanec (Svozil's teammate in Brno): "He's been playing very well since preseason games. As a defenceman, he makes the plays, is confident with the puck, skates very well. Alright, but he's still a young kid and he's a got lot of work ahead of him. If he keeps it up, he's going to become an excellent defenceman."

David Pospíšil (former player and hockey pundit): "I must admit I'm thoroughly excited about him. This was the first time I saw him in person and his decision making looks like that of a 25 years old player with 400 games under his belt. He reads the game, sees the passing lines, isn't afraid to jump on the attack."
How does he compare to Zboril/Hajek at his age? Svozil is the most gifted Czech defenseman I have ever seen at junior level, I have only been watching youth hockey since 2015/2016 however.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
How does he compare to Zboril/Hajek at his age? Svozil is the most gifted Czech defenseman I have ever seen at junior level, I have only been watching youth hockey since 2015/2016 however.

That's a good question but I have no clue. I don't even watch Kometa's games regularly and these players' stints with the senior squad were quite short (if any). They certainly weren't as noticeable as someone like Nečas.

By the way, Kometa Brno has been surprisingly successful when it comes to producing defencemen. Kempný, Zbořil, Hájek, Král and now Svozil are all players who are either in the NHL or have some sort of good to moderate potential to get there down the road. And with the exception of Kempný, they were all born between 1996 and 2003. If we had at least two or three more clubs this good with young defencemen in the Czech Republic, our notorious problems with defence would be over.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I make a list every June for the draft a year away, and I had Svozil at #20. I don't know about being a top 5 pick. I don't see that happening. I wouldn't say its impossible, but top 10 is a lot more attainable, in my opinion.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I make a list every June for the draft a year away, and I had Svozil at #20. I don't know about being a top 5 pick. I don't see that happening. I wouldn't say its impossible, but top 10 is a lot more attainable, in my opinion.
He is historically best young czech defenseman. He is fast, agile skater and has terrific hands and vision and is not afraid of going to the net. If he is not top 5 in draft then he will be top 5 in redraft i swear this kid is something else. I am talking about kid who will be near ppg two way defenseman in NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: mazmin

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
He is historically best young czech defenseman. He is fast, agile skater and has terrific hands and vision and is not afraid of going to the net. If he is not top 5 in draft then he will be top 5 in redraft i swear this kid is something else. I am talking about kid who will be near ppg two way defenseman in NHL.
Come on there’s no way you can project that right now. He’s a great player, but there are a lot of really good defense men in this draft. He wasn’t even close to ppg internationally nor in the DHL this year.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Since at least 2007-08 (didn't check further back), Svozil is the only dman to play 20+ Extraliga games in his draft-1 year. Even in draft year, playing there is rare.
We haven't produced an elite dman in ages so I get the skepticism, but Kometa has had great success with their program lately. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: mazmin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad