LD Samuel Knazko - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2020, 78th, CBJ)

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Samuel Knazko had very good (regular) season in Finnish U20 league. Scored 28 pts (7+21) in 48 games. He was the most productive U18 defenseman in the Jr. SM-liiga and 10th among all defenseman.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Samuel Knazko had very good (regular) season in Finnish U20 league. Scored 28 pts (7+21) in 48 games. He was the most productive U18 defenseman in the Jr. SM-liiga and 10th among all defenseman.

Good, but still not great. In one of his many interviews here in Slovakia before this season, he pointed out, that his goal is to play senior hockey (if not Liiga then Mestis). That didn't happen. And also there were other D in his team, that played more minutes. I see him in North America next season (CHL).

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Kinda weird that TPS didn't call him up to the senior squad(even for a game or two), he would probably be better than half of their current d-man.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
could potentially join an EXTREMELY impressive young group in Seattle. They are building something very good in Seattle and the team could be unreal in a couple years

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Where did you heard this? Imo, he could be maybe a part timer in Mestis team. I think, he will go to Seattle. His NHL team will insist on that.

ya id think Tbirds got some sort of confirmation he would come over and play for them. Cause I would assume him declining to come last year would have caused teams to pass on him this year.

Mato94

Apr 11, 2020
Bratislava, Slovakia

This is what Kňažko said exactly:

“I’m glad I’ve been selected by the Thunderbirds. I’ve heard it’s a great organization.

I’m flying to Finland on July 27th, because I’m still under contract with TPS. I want to crack the A-team roster, since I’ve already spent last two years playing in a juniors league. I wanna be part of men’s hockey. I’m waiting what TPS will say about it - if I should stay in Finland or go overseas. Staying in Turku seems quite possible to me.“

source (in Slovak): Ako rozmýšľajú niektorí z deviatich Slovákov, ktorých draftovali do kanadských juniorských líg?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Playing u20 for a third year in a row which is unusual for a drafted/ draft worthy prospect. Why isn't he getting a shot to play with men?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Playing u20 for a third year in a row which is unusual for a drafted/ draft worthy prospect. Why isn't he getting a shot to play with men?
It's interesting that TPS kept Rafkin on the team and sent Knazko to u20 league, since Rafkin didn't get drafted and Knazko did.

Mostly it's because Knazko is the kind of player with big upside and talent, but not the kind of player that garners a coach's trust at this point. I like him but he's a total wild card.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It's interesting that TPS kept Rafkin on the team and sent Knazko to u20 league, since Rafkin didn't get drafted and Knazko did.

Mostly it's because Knazko is the kind of player with big upside and talent, but not the kind of player that garners a coach's trust at this point. I like him but he's a total wild card.
To be fair, Rafkin going undrafted was a big surprise. Most lists had him going around the 3rd round.

Aug 25, 2009
éal

What are Jackets fans expectation for him? Could he be in North-America sooner than later? Maybe at the start of the 2023 season in the AHL? Are we expecting a fast progress in is case? He's been playing against men already at the WC. He's already at 6'1.

Maybe a future top-4 guy? Or more of a bottom pairing defenceman who can move the puck and chip in a few goals?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He didn’t play in any of the CHL games for TPS. I wonder why he isn’t playing, and wonder if CBJ may bring him over to play in the AHL instead.
He had been with the Slovakian team for the Olympic qualifications.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He didn’t play in any of the CHL games for TPS. I wonder why he isn’t playing, and wonder if CBJ may bring him over to play in the AHL instead.

Actually no, he is already back from that. Slafkovsky has played 2 games and was there too. He is being healthy scratched

There really isn't any room for him with Jimi Suomi playing so well. With Suomi TPS had 8 defenseman in front of Knazko at their depth chart. Might be better to leave for AHL.

Reactions: hellwar9

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2