LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I'm obviously an Oilers Fan.
- Was I thrilled when we drafted Broberg in 2019? no, not really.
- Has he been progressing better than I hoped? Yes and No, he's looked good in the SHL, but I still think he has to work on a number of things before he has a shot at being an impact player in the NHL.

but I think for those saying the Oilers could have gotten Zegras or Caufield or Krebs at #8 etc is an impossible way to say if a team was successful in the draft or not. I mean do you then say the 30 other teams who passed on Kucherov were bad? I think you'd probably just say Tampa made a good pick. or do you say New Jersey and Philadelphia were bad for picking a higher ranked player and not Petterson? again probably not, I think you just say Vancouver made a good pick

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Seems like one of those players with such a high ceiling that he's encouraged to take on more then he can chew at times. With such ability you don't him want to settle in as your 'steady eddie' on the back end who plays a safe game. Instead want him controlling the play and constantly asserting himself on the play. This gives him the boom or bust quality. If he doesn't make it big you wonder if he just becomes a liability who constantly tries to do too much. You wonder if there is a middle ground with this player. Finding the right role and developing Broberg to play a certain role will be a significant task for the Oilers.

Having said that, he probably has the most upside offensive potential for a Oiler d-man draft since Coffey.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Seems like one of those players with such a high ceiling that he's encouraged to take on more then he can chew at times. With such ability you don't him want to settle in as your 'steady eddie' on the back end who plays a safe game. Instead want him controlling the play and constantly asserting himself on the play. This gives him the boom or bust quality. If he doesn't make it big you wonder if he just becomes a liability who constantly tries to do too much. You wonder if there is a middle ground with this player. Finding the right role and developing Broberg to play a certain role will be a significant task for the Oilers.

Having said that, he probably has the most upside offensive potential for a Oiler d-man draft since Coffey.

Bouchard's offensive ceiling is probably higher than Broberg's.

His offensive IQ, shot, and passing are all a tier higher. He lacks Broberg's skating ability and defensive play, but his pure offensive traits are better.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
this seems to gloss over the multiple bad decisions he made with the puck that had nothing to do with his injury.
You've clearly never played sports at a competive level with an injury

Tunapants

May 24, 2012
PHX, AZ
- Has he been progressing better than I hoped? Yes and No, he's looked good in the SHL, but I still think he has to work on a number of things before he has a shot at being an impact player in the NHL.

but I think for those saying the Oilers could have gotten Zegras or Caufield or Krebs at #8 etc is an impossible way to say if a team was successful in the draft or not. I mean do you then say the 30 other teams who passed on Kucherov were bad? I think you'd probably just say Tampa made a good pick. or do you say New Jersey and Philadelphia were bad for picking a higher ranked player and not Petterson? again probably not, I think you just say Vancouver made a good pick
I honestly think that's a terrible way of looking at it. Its all about context. I like Broberg and think he will be fine, but comparing his selection to Kucherov or Petterson is a little silly.

Reactions: Aerchon

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
this seems to gloss over the multiple bad decisions he made with the puck that had nothing to do with his injury.

Not sure if you can separate those things that cleanly. Injuries tend to influence your whole state of mind (based on my own experiences and I believe that to be generally true).

Confidence is key to making good decisions. Being injured will influence your confidence.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
He has made similar mistakes all season in the SHL. He coughs the puck up a lot.

:laugh: stop embarrassing yourself. If I show you 2 highlights of him making a great play in the defensive zone, does that off-set those 2?

Stop trying so hard

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
:laugh: stop embarrassing yourself. If I show you 2 highlights of him making a great play in the defensive zone, does that off-set those 2?

Stop trying so hard

It’s really silly. He’s also trying to get Berggren noticed, apparently in a Broberg thread.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Stop trying so hard
I've been watching most of Skellefteå's games this season (for Berggren) and have noticed Broberg a lot. Good and bad. Still really like him as a prospect but I can tell you that most people who have actually watched him this season will say the same, and the stats back it up as well (worst +/- on his team for example).
It's not some minority opinion that he's had struggles this season.

It’s really silly. He’s also trying to get Berggren noticed, apparently in a Broberg thread.
Can't quote tweets in a twitter thread without getting the previous tweet included, as far as I know. And if you noticed, that tweet is pointing out bad defensive play by Berggren as well (Berggren sucks defensively).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He has made similar mistakes all season in the SHL. He coughs the puck up a lot.

It’s pretty clear Broberg is an extremely talented young D man, and like many young D, he’s a bit slow thinking the game - especially defensively. With puck on stick, and on the rush he’s amazing. Without the puck, and thinking the defensive parts of the game he’s still (obviously; he’s young) still learning.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I honestly think that's a terrible way of looking at it. Its all about context. I like Broberg and think he will be fine, but comparing his selection to Kucherov or Petterson is a little silly.

I think Broberg was a poor pick with Zegras on the board. A consensus 6th OA versus a consensus 14th ish OA at the #8 spot was a swing. From a "sure thing" to a gamble imo.

This is nothing like the Kuch situation.

I think Broberg is tracking well enough and will be an nhler just not great in comparison to the very very very obvious pick that Zegras was at the 8 spot in terms of team needs and potential.

Kuch was the better pick in hindsight. Zegras has been the better pick predraft and post draft to date. In the future who knows for sure but it is not looking good. Too early to go too negative but if the Oilers can't sign RNH or obtain skill to replace him not drafting Zegras will be that much more detrimental to the team as well.

Last edited:

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I think Broberg was a poor pick with Zegras on the board. A consensus 4th OA versus a consensus 14th ish OA at the #8 spot was a swing. From a "sure thing" to a gamble imo.

This is nothing like the Kuch situation.

I think Broberg is tracking well enough and will be an nhler just not great in comparison to the very very very obvious pick that Zegras was at the 8 spot in terms of team needs and potential.

Kuch was the better pick in hindsight. Zegras has been the better pick predraft and post draft to date. In the future who knows for sure but it is not looking good. Too early to go too negative but if the Oilers can't sign RNH or obtain skill to replace him not drafting Zegras will be that much more detrimental to the team as well.
Zegras wasnt a consensus #4 pick. From the major scouting outlets, he was as high as #6 and as low as #10.

Broberg was as high #9 and as low as #17.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Zegras wasnt a consensus #4 pick. From the major scouting outlets, he was as high as #6 and as low as #10.

Broberg was as high #9 and as low as #17.

I did a quick check with a couple at 5 for Zegras. For some reason thought it was 4. After checking quickly I say 6 is more accurate, my mistake.

Broberg has one at 7 and one at 21 and 17 and 15 and in general 14ish is accurate enough imo.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I did a quick check with a couple at 5 for Zegras. For some reason thought it was 4. After checking quickly I say 6 is more accurate, my mistake.

Broberg has one at 7 and one at 21 and 17 and 15 and in general 14ish is accurate enough imo.

Bob McKenzie, who deals with actual NHL scouts to form his rankings had Zegras listed at #7 in his Final Rankings, and Broberg at #15.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Broberg had an extremely poor showing at the WJC but you can't title the kid for it. He was playing injured and if we judged everyone by how they did at this tournament Jordan Schroeder would of been a superstar

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bob McKenzie, who deals with actual NHL scouts to form his rankings had Zegras listed at #7 in his Final Rankings, and Broberg at #15.

Where'd they have Seider on the McKenzie list ... Teams lists will vary wider as you go down the list. Not an exact science as you know.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Severe charlie horse, separated shoulder. Out for a few weeks now. Poor bastard.

That explains the skating issues many were noticing given what a fantastic and smooth skater he is.

Tough kid trying to gut it out for his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad