LD Owen Power - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
NCAA teams are in not in a strict bubble, and all of the States where B10 schools are located have FAR worse Covid rates of infection that ALTA. It was just happenstance that the Canadian camp was infected, and not Michigan.

I was watching some glowing report about the Gophers goaltender on TV talking about what a vocal leader he is. They showed him surrounded by his entire team in his crease during pregame. They literally couldn't have been jammed in any closer. Their coach is just recovering from Covid. At what time does the light bulb go off?

NCHC teams are.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Power has a tough task playing for a new team in a new league for his draft year (as do players like Johnson and Beniers). That said, in his first five games, I haven't really seen him assert himself as much as I'd like a potential #1OA defenseman to. At times, his reactions in the defensive zone look a bit slow, and I'd like to see him join the rush more frequently. On the other hand, he looked a bit better in the third period tonight, making some hard, accurate passes through the neutral zone and joining the rush once or twice to generate offense for Michigan.

I certainly wouldn't say that Power has been poor, but I do think elements of his game are pretty raw. I like Power as a prospect, but I'm hoping to see improvement as the year goes on.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Power has a tough task playing for a new team in a new league for his draft year (as do players like Johnson and Beniers). That said, in his first five games, I haven't really seen him assert himself as much as I'd like a potential #1OA defenseman to. At times, his reactions in the defensive zone look a bit slow, and I'd like to see him join the rush more frequently. On the other hand, he looked a bit better in the third period tonight, making some hard, accurate passes through the neutral zone and joining the rush once or twice to generate offense for Michigan.

I certainly wouldn't say that Power has been poor, but I do think elements of his game are pretty raw. I like Power as a prospect, but I'm hoping to see improvement as the year goes on.

It's still far too early to put too much stock in the things you were talking about in asserting himself and his reaction time. He is still adjusting to the speed of the game and the league. He is one of the youngest players in the league as well as he just turned 18. Need to give him some time

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
It's still far too early to put too much stock in the things you were talking about in asserting himself and his reaction time. He is still adjusting to the speed of the game and the league. He is one of the youngest players in the league as well as he just turned 18. Need to give him some time

100%. I'm being nitpicky, and reacting to tonight's game. Like I mentioned, I'm definitely a fan of Power.

That said, we are talking about a player who many are projecting to go first overall this year. It's such a close call right now between Power, Hughes, Lambos, Clarke, Edvinsson, etc., so I think it's worthwhile to nitpick a bit here. Fans of Power are looking for a big, versatile, 20+min a night top-pairing blueliner. I think that's certainly a fair hope, but I also think it's important to recognize that Power has a pretty long way to go in reaching that target.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Struggled mightily last night for Michigan, his defensive zone coverage, active stick and decision making when faced with any type of pressure needs a lot of work. We’re about to see a third pair D go top 5. When will we learn. Just because he moves well and likes to jump up ice is not enough, since he won’t be doing that in the nhl. I wonder how much the hype built up by ryan hardy, his old gm in Chicago saying he’s the best ushl player he’s ever seen, should go number 1 and the lack of 75% of the rest or the draft class not even playing is boosting him up.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I thought he was fine tonight
first two periods were great with the way he jumped into the rush he was one of their best players.

Cam York played like trash this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: grentthealien

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Just shows how much tougher NCAA hockey is. Hes hands down the best player on thd ice 95% of the time if hes playing CHL

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, but Eichel still scored 71 points in 40 games in his draft year....

Eichel’s year in college was incredible. Has anyone else recently come close to a freshman season like that? I know Kariya had an amazing career. Newhook is closest recent comparison I can think of

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Michigan also has now lost a few recent games to a team that is supposed to be a lot worse than them. These all star prospect teams get fans excited, but they almost never get the results that people expect.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Michigan also has now lost a few recent games to a team that is supposed to be a lot worse than them. These all star prospect teams get fans excited, but they almost never get the results that people expect.
Agreed, and if you watch Michigan expecting those freshman to dominate night in night out, not going to happen. I honestly find Michigan a boring team to watch, even with these good quality freshman. I could care less about watching a 23 year old Luke Morgan grind the puck to a pulp, or Jack summers cough the puck up 4 times in one shift. Most of the roster is comprised of future bottom six ECHL and AHL players.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Just shows how much tougher NCAA hockey is. Hes hands down the best player on thd ice 95% of the time if hes playing CHL
But watch a good chl team and there’s generally a lot more high quality skill on display than the average NCAA game. Those teams are harder to play against due to the sheer age, not talent of the players. You may be playing men, but most aren’t even talented, just fast and good at pressuring the puck all over the ice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agreed, and if you watch Michigan expecting those freshman to dominate night in night out, not going to happen. I honestly find Michigan a boring team to watch, even with these good quality freshman. I could care less about watching a 23 year old Luke Morgan grind the puck to a pulp, or Jack summers cough the puck up 4 times in one shift. Most of the roster is comprised of future bottom six ECHL and AHL players.

Beecher-1 point in 6 games. Not good enough.

Edit: Didn't see the post above me, but I have no issue with @William H Bonney's suggestion.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Beecher-1 point in 6 games. Not good enough.

Edit: Didn't see the post above me, but I have no issue with @William H Bonney's suggestion.
But yes I agree fully with you on Beecher, as a sophomore he needs to take a bigger step and show he can start to take over games for Michigan. He’s so gifted and has all the tools but I just usually feel a tad underwhelmed after watching him. Find him a little too much perimeter for someone of his size and stature in the o zone. Just want to see him get a bit more dirty to create offence as I don’t ever think he’s going to be a guy who will beat goalies from distance or be an elite playmaker at the NHL level.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
But yes I agree fully with you on Beecher, as a sophomore he needs to take a bigger step and show he can start to take over games for Michigan. He’s so gifted and has all the tools but I just usually feel a tad underwhelmed after watching him. Find him a little too much perimeter for someone of his size and stature in the o zone. Just want to see him get a bit more dirty to create offence as I don’t ever think he’s going to be a guy who will beat goalies from distance or be an elite playmaker at the NHL level.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
how would Power compare to Werenski at the same age for anyone who watches Michigan regularly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad