LD Miro Heiskanen (2017, 3rd, DAL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
Well, that is like compare Pettersson to Kotkaniemi.

Not really as I see Pettersson as the 2nd best young talent in the league behind McDavid.

Heiskanen and Dahlin will both be future number 1 d-men, just saying Miro has impressed me more to this date in their early careers.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Not really as I see Pettersson as the 2nd best young talent in the league behind McDavid.

Heiskanen and Dahlin will both be future number 1 d-men, just saying Miro has impressed me more to this date in their early careers.

He Is far more dynamic and seems to know how to utilize his incredible speed.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He may have gotten an assist last night but I think that was his weakest game of the year. Its nice that his bad game was still more than fine but for someone who is our defacto #1 D and #1PPQB right now he can't have transition games like he did today.

The lack of clean entries on the PP that are usually a product of a Spezza-Klinger exchange made the lack of Klingberg painfully obvious.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He still had a good game outside the powerplay. The whole Powerplay was build around Klingberg doing things. To expect Heiskanen to just seemlessly step in without much time to practise to is just not fair. Hope it gets better after they work on it more.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Changing the defensman on the powerplay can really mess things up. For example Hedman was injured for us earlier so Mcdonagh took his place and even though he is a great player the zone entries just didn't work out anywhere near as well.

So i don't think it's really something you can blame Heiskanen for.

Reactions: LAINEC and Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Changing the defensman on the powerplay can really mess things up. For example Hedman was injured for us earlier so Mcdonagh took his place and even though he is a great player the zone entries just didn't work out anywhere near as well.

So i don't think it's really something you can blame Heiskanen for.

Especially considering that the Stars powerplay has always revolved around Klingberg and ALWAYS does the exact same thing every powerplay. Plus the top guys have been on the same unit together for so long that throwing someone new in there can really throw things off. I think the best way to go about it is to completely change the units up

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I would take him over any other prospect/rookie right now. That size and skill combination is ridiculous. He is what I thought Ekblad was going to be - electric big bodied defenceman who can skate and can also dominate in his own zone.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
The powerplay entries worked a lot better when they let Miro do Miro things and use his skating. It started to get bumpy when he was asked to do Klinger things

Reactions: LAINEC and Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The powerplay entries worked a lot better when they let Miro do Miro things and use his skating. It started to get bumpy when he was asked to do Klinger things

Yeah he's getting away from his game a bit and it's almost like they're having him play as Klingberg rather than as a replacement to Klingberg. Almost no dmen in the league could replace what Klingberg brings so Miro just needs to do his thing.

Reactions: LAINEC

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I would take him over any other prospect/rookie right now. That size and skill combination is ridiculous. He is what I thought Ekblad was going to be - electric big bodied defenceman who can skate and can also dominate in his own zone.

Well Ekblad beat out a bumper crop of top rookies (including Klingberg who somehow didn't even finish top-3) to win a Calder. Here's hoping the voters see at least that much in what Miro has shown us so far.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

He's not big though are you sure this is the right thread? Feels like you're talking about Dahlin

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Well Ekblad beat out a bumper crop of top rookies (including Klingberg who somehow didn't even finish top-3) to win a Calder. Here's hoping the voters see at least that much in what Miro has shown us so far.

No Ekblad got the "good ol canadian boy hype" and was handed the award in the pre-season.
He didn't deserve it over several other rookies, one of which was Klingberg. But NHL awards(voted on awards) have always been a farce, they go to the best "story" not the best player.

Reactions: Kcb12345

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He still had a good game outside the powerplay. The whole Powerplay was build around Klingberg doing things. To expect Heiskanen to just seemlessly step in without much time to practise to is just not fair. Hope it gets better after they work on it more.

I dont think he had a horrible game I just think last night was his weakest game of the year. His his poor transition was painfully obvious on the PP but it was there throughout the game. Also on the 2nd goal against he unfortunately allows the cross crease pass. There is a level of shared blame on that goal from Honka getting cut on behind the net, to Miro not defending the cross crease pass, to Dobby no getting a sick on a puck passing through his paint, to Seguin losing his man 2 feet from the net but given what he has shown so far that pass across is one I pretty much expect him to block at this stage.

And no I dont expect him to seamlessly replace Klinger on the PP but expecting more than what was shown last night is a very reasonable expectation. If the PP was only a little off I wouldnt have cared but it looked like he never ran a PP in his life last night. Again the rest of his game was decent to good last night but if we are going to praise the kid for success I think its only fair that he gets a little criticism when the plays go the other way a little bit.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I dont think he had a horrible game I just think last night was his weakest game of the year. His his poor transition was painfully obvious on the PP but it was there throughout the game. Also on the 2nd goal against he unfortunately allows the cross crease pass. There is a level of shared blame on that goal from Honka getting cut on behind the net, to Miro not defending the cross crease pass, to Dobby no getting a sick on a puck passing through his paint, to Seguin losing his man 2 feet from the net but given what he has shown so far that pass across is one I pretty much expect him to block at this stage.

And no I dont expect him to seamlessly replace Klinger on the PP but expecting more than what was shown last night is a very reasonable expectation. If the PP was only a little off I wouldnt have cared but it looked like he never ran a PP in his life last night. Again the rest of his game was decent to good last night but if we are going to praise the kid for success I think its only fair that he gets a little criticism when the plays go the other way a little bit.

To be fair though, the entire first unit was embarrassingly bad outside of maybe Radulov but the puck wouldn't even get to him. 1 shot on goal on 4 powerplays (I think) is not one players fault. That was a combined team screw up by our top guys who have been pathetic on the PP lately and put no effort in at all. I suppose its cause they're used to Klingberg and Radulov doing all the work lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad