LD Max Gildon - USNTDP, USHL (2017 Draft)

scout97

Jul 17, 2012
Seems to be having a pretty decent year stats wise. Have not seen him play live in over a year and when i did i thought he could be a top 15 pick. Can anyone give an update on him. In a somewhat weak draft class with not many high end defenders does he still have a chance at being a high pick or has he really slid in the rankings.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Seems to be having a pretty decent year stats wise. Have not seen him play live in over a year and when i did i thought he could be a top 15 pick. Can anyone give an update on him. In a somewhat weak draft class with not many high end defenders does he still have a chance at being a high pick or has he really slid in the rankings.

The entire USA program has been a tire fire this year which might explain why guys like Reedy and Gildon might not be getting a lot of attention.

Even if he isn't a top draft pick, I think he'll be a guy who really rises over the next few years. His talent hasn't gone away. Might be hard to project him as a bona fide number 1 defenseman like he was expected to be because he hasn't been a very dynamic player with the USA-U18s, but he's got a very good chance of being a reliable second pairing player at the NHL level.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I wonder where he will be picked, was touted as a top 5 pick not long ago now it seems, late first or 2nd round is most likely, talent may still be there so some team may get a steal.

Last edited:

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I wonder where he will be picked, was touted as a top 5 pick not long ago now it seems, late first or 2nd round is most likely, talent is still there so some team may get a steal.

If he gets picked near the 1st it is a travesty. He is a turnover machine and quite literally far and away the worst player on the ice by far everytime I have seen him play.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
If he gets picked near the 1st it is a travesty. He is a turnover machine and quite literally far and away the worst player on the ice by far everytime I have seen him play.

Doesn't sound encouraging, maybe he will flourish in CHL/NCAA. Who has the most potential on the u18 team, who did you like?

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Doesn't sound encouraging, maybe he will flourish in CHL/NCAA. Who has the most potential on the u18 team, who did you like?

Maybe I'm wrong on him, but I don't see it. Personally don't know if I would even take a late round flyer on him (haven't seen him before this year so don't know about the potential he must have flashed last year to get potential 1st round type talk).

Personally from the U18 team, most of my favourites are the 2018 draft eligibles (Tkachuk and Hughes), but for this upcoming draft in particular from that team I'm a fan of Norris, Farrance and also Cockerill as my sleeper.

Yet again, it's not like I see tons of U18 games, so maybe the few I have caught has been off games for Gildon, but he really needs to clean up his defensive game (or at least be more consistent in it), if he wants to amount to anything.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Maybe I'm wrong on him, but I don't see it. Personally don't know if I would even take a late round flyer on him (haven't seen him before this year so don't know about the potential he must have flashed last year to get potential 1st round type talk).

Personally from the U18 team, most of my favourites are the 2018 draft eligibles (Tkachuk and Hughes), but for this upcoming draft in particular from that team I'm a fan of Norris, Farrance and also Cockerill as my sleeper.

Yet again, it's not like I see tons of U18 games, so maybe the few I have caught has been off games for Gildon, but he really needs to clean up his defensive game (or at least be more consistent in it), if he wants to amount to anything.
Most of the lists I trust don't even have him in the first 2 rounds. Could be another player who was highly hyped leaving AAA, who just never progressed. What you are saying seems in-line with scouting reports from the end of last year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Or no major program wanted him.
Might be a minutes. I'm sure he had offers from some major programs, just probably came with a minimal likelihood of ice-time early on. Going to a rebuilding program he probably is getting top 4 minutes right off the bat.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Gildon is a project. Lots of tools but a massive mistake maker. If you ask me both he and Inamoto have the lowest IQs of a good group of NTDP defensemen. Farrance is a stud, Tommy Miller is vastly underrated, Knoepke has a great shot and can run a PP and Hughes will be a 2018 first rounder.

I'm not sold on Gildon at all. Only a team with 9 or 10 picks should take a gamble on him.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Might be a minutes. I'm sure he had offers from some major programs, just probably came with a minimal likelihood of ice-time early on. Going to a rebuilding program he probably is getting top 4 minutes right off the bat.

Probably, though he might have seen more progress on his shortcomings working with coaches like Granato and Osiecki for example, or other programs known for developing defencemen.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Gildon is a project. Lots of tools but a massive mistake maker. If you ask me both he and Inamoto have the lowest IQs of a good group of NTDP defensemen. Farrance is a stud, Tommy Miller is vastly underrated, Knoepke has a great shot and can run a PP and Hughes will be a 2018 first rounder.

I'm not sold on Gildon at all. Only a team with 9 or 10 picks should take a gamble on him.

This is pretty much my exact assessment of the NTDP D. Minus Tommy Miller, haven't been that wow'd by him. Maybe should look at him closer next time.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Remember the hype on him years ago!??

They projected him in the top 3 in this year's draft.

The hockey news did.

turbine

Jan 5, 2006
Remember the hype on him years ago!??

They projected him in the top 3 in this year's draft.

The hockey news did.

I wouldn't take their prognostications on future drafts too seriously, especially with 16 year olds. From Nick Ebert to Nathan Noel to Blake Clarke, they've been totally off on a lot of supposed phenoms.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he's looked great for USA at the U18's so far. I know he was ranked much higher going into the year, has this tournament put him back on the map a little?

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Jets should really draft him late; he's a LHD with high upside but question marks and that makes more sense than drafting another middling forward

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
those hands of his and his size will get him drafted pretty high...can't teach that...kid has a lot to improve on but what he lacks can be taught. very happy to see how well he has been doing the past few months, he is capable of it on a regular basis.

Kase

May 1, 2016
How is he defensively? When I looked at his stats and read about him before the draft, I was surprised that he was projected to go in the 3rd round. Was hoping that the Wild could snatch him. Looks like an another great pick for the Panthers so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad