LD Matthew Morden - Muskegon Lumberjacks, USHL (2022, 131st, ARI)

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Lol UMass is not a “small college” for hockey. They were defending national champs. Makar and Ferraro have just recently been two defenseman who have played there.

That’s fine if you don’t think he’s worth a second rounder - I actually don’t think anybody here is saying “he must be a second rounder!!!”. We just don’t think his development path will have much to do with how he is viewed or where he is selected.
The tough NCAA is the Big 10.

That Cale Makar played there is one thing. But it's not a top team. Morrow's teammates aren't very strong.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
The tough NCAA is the Big 10.

That Cale Makar played there is one thing. But it's not a top team. Morrow's teammates aren't very strong.
If you don't think UMass is a top team then there must not be any top teams in the entire country.

And the toughest conference in the NCAA is the NCHC by far ainec. What is it 5 of the last 7 national championships out of the NCHC?

Reactions: BKarchitect

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
If you don't think UMass is a top team then there must not be any top teams in the entire country.

And the toughest conference in the NCAA is the NCHC by far ainec. What is it 5 of the last 7 national championships out of the NCHC?
Ok so quote me a strong guy from U Mass next to Morrow. Northeastern, both Boston teams have much better players.

U Mass for me is 5-6th in a conference that is neither first nor second for sure.

Some very good teams in NCHC (Denver, North Dakota) but the Big 10 is better.

You know very well that Michigan is the most monstrous team. Ohio St, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Wisconsin in real terms it's NCAA top 10.

The problem of the NCAA is that there are not enough games and in hockey, the shooting success is fundamental on a cleaver game. But honestly, if I said that U Mass is not a big program, I thought about it before thinking it and then saying it.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Ok so quote me a strong guy from U Mass next to Morrow. Northeastern, both Boston teams have much better players.

U Mass for me is 5-6th in a conference that is neither first nor second for sure.

Some very good teams in NCHC (Denver, North Dakota) but the Big 10 is better.

You know very well that Michigan is the most monstrous team. Ohio St, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Wisconsin in real terms it's NCAA top 10.

The problem of the NCAA is that there are not enough games and in hockey, the shooting success is fundamental on a cleaver game. But honestly, if I said that U Mass is not a big program, I thought about it before thinking it and then saying it.
Just because a player isn’t an NHL draft pick doesn’t mean they aren’t very good college players.

Wisconsin was atrocious this year. UMass made playoffs.

And to answer your question trivigno, Ufko, Kessel, Lopina and mercuri

U probsbly think Minnesota st. Sucks too despite going to back to back frozen fours

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Just because a player isn’t an NHL draft pick doesn’t mean they aren’t very good college players.

Wisconsin was atrocious this year. UMass made playoffs.

And to answer your question trivigno, Ufko, Kessel, Lopina and mercuri

U probsbly think Minnesota st. Sucks too despite going to back to back frozen fours
That is what I thought. You have to name these players.

Wisconsin is playing against stronger opponents.

Ceulemans is better than Morrow and around him you have several former USDP, a guy like Kehrer who I find interesting for the NCAA, just as many veterans who have been there for a long time in addition to the other 8 drafted players.

It's the conference difference that makes the difference. The results don't mean anything in the NCAA.

Not at all the same level of opponent. And as you said Wisconsin had a bad season compared to its competitors. So that lets you imagine the level of the Big 10 because in other conferences, Wisconsin plays the lead.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
That is what I thought. You have to name these players.

Wisconsin is playing against stronger opponents.

Ceulemans is better than Morrow and around him you have several former USDP, a guy like Kehrer who I find interesting for the NCAA, just as many veterans who have been there for a long time in addition to the other 8 drafted players.

It's the conference difference that makes the difference. The results don't mean anything in the NCAA.

Not at all the same level of opponent. And as you said Wisconsin had a bad season compared to its competitors. So that lets you imagine the level of the Big 10 because in other conferences, Wisconsin plays the lead.
Results matter dude. Making it to the national championship matters. I agree that conference level of play is important. But don’t act like the Big 10 is any better than the NCHC with the EXCEPTION of talent on Michigan this past year that’s literally never been seen before and will most likely never happen again.

U act like the Big 10 is the NHL and every other conference is the ECHL and that’s just not true however much you want it to be.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Results matter dude. Making it to the national championship matters. I agree that conference level of play is important. But don’t act like the Big 10 is any better than the NCHC with the EXCEPTION of talent on Michigan this past year that’s literally never been seen before and will most likely never happen again.

U act like the Big 10 is the NHL and every other conference is the ECHL and that’s just not true however much you want it to be.
Not worth it, like arguing with a brick wall. :laugh:

Reactions: cg98 and DatDude44

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

We were talking about Scott Morrow at the base and the level of his team and his conference for the 2021-22 season. This player is going into his 20s and he has very little experience compared to other players his age.

Given the players arriving in Michigan (Fantilli, Nazar, McGroarty, Casey, Brzustewicz) to replace those leaving, there will be continuity.

Minnesota will also have a huge team with Cooley, Snuggereud, Chesley, Mittelstadt, Kurth, C.Lucius.

The majority of top USHL/USDP players are going to play in this conference right now.

2 of the 4 semi-finalist teams were from this conference. + Notre Dame in 1/4.

U Mass won the tournament last year but the best weren't there and anyway, the main topic (which isn't even the player concerned by the topic) wasn't there.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Not worth it, like arguing with a brick wall. :laugh:
It's still necessary to know what the objective of the conversation is.

The original topic is Matthew Morden and I have to argue that the Big 10 is the best NCAA conference ahead of the NCHC.

I will wait to see the matches before making up my mind.

But I remain on the idea that it seems to me very risky to select him in the 2nd round to the detriment of more experienced players whose level is better known.

From what a friend tells me, it was Pickering who stood out during the tournament.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad