LD Luke Hughes (2021, 4th, NJD)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The Devils of course would want to add Quinn whether through trade or free agency. And no question Fitz would absolutely want to trade for him if the terms were right, but that's not saying much - every team in the league would trip over themselves trying to acquire Quinn if he was available. But the reality is Vancouver isn't trading him and if it came to the point where they knew he wasn't going to re-sign again, Vancouver would be lucky to even get a DeBrincat level return as every team would know where he's going to sign. As of now Vancouver would laugh themselves silly if Fitz came forward with Nemec as the primary asset to pursue a trade. Nemec's development would need to go perfectly to close that gap, which of course is possible since he's young.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Hes gunna be a stud (soon if not already). Insane how good all the Hughes brothers are. They will all end up being extremely elite and the be part of the best of the bests in their positions.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I wanted the Ducks to take him at 3. Always said he would be the best player out of this draft.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Hughes is the best defensmen on our team in all zones. The rate at which his defending without the puck has improved exponentially. He is a freak that can skate or pass the puck out of any situation. Even his 1 on 1 is rapidly improving. NJ has Makar 2.0, not lite, the 6`2 version.
Yeah he’s insane.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
His play on the defensive end has been a revelation. I expected this but not till more down the road with experience.

It’s so much better than it was in Michigan. Really from day one in the NHL I think he’s defended better in the NHL. Only time I’d say he hasn’t was the preseason lol. I said after he came up last year that it seemed like he was playing down to the NCAA competition and was more engaged up here. This preseason definitely seems to back that up

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
Hughes is the best defensmen on our team in all zones. The rate at which his defending without the puck has improved exponentially. He is a freak that can skate or pass the puck out of any situation. Even his 1 on 1 is rapidly improving. NJ has Makar 2.0, not lite, the 6`2 version.
1699023408301.png

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
It’s so much better than it was in Michigan. Really from day one in the NHL I think he’s defended better in the NHL. Only time I’d say he hasn’t was the preseason lol. I said after he came up last year that it seemed like he was playing down to the NCAA competition and was more engaged up here. This preseason definitely seems to back that up

I think a lot of it is he knew he was “the guy” on Michigan and probably felt a pressure to do it all. Preseason he also came in with so much hype, especially with his successful cup of coffee last year, and probably wanted to stick out and make an impact. Now he’s on a regular season NHL team with so many established star players, so the team certainly doesn’t need him to “do it all.” He obviously still plays a high risk game, and has his poor moments, but overall he’s done a good job with his decision making as far as when to press and make a high risk play, and when to make the boring but safe play.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's the typical elite defenseman thing. They play higher risk hockey against worse competition because they know they can get away with it. I remember having concerns about Charlie McAvoy because he had the same issues in the NCAA and WJC, but the moment he got to the NHL he simplified things and bam.

We're seeing that now with Luke.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He's also quietly adding some stretch passes to his repertoire. I'm sure most top tier NCAA guys have to unlearn some things and learn some things when they turn pro. He's by all accounts quite competitive and both of his brothers have learned what they needed to do in order to thrive and they both did it. I have no doubt he will do so as well. Presumably he will have some bumps in the road as the season unfolds but will improve overall and be a much better player when the playoffs arrive.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
He’s young. He just needs to get a bit stronger in the upper body area and I wish he could develop a bit of a mean streak. Unfortunately, it seems it’s not his nature. Very calm and quiet kid that just goes along his business of being a superb hockey player.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Had him ranked #1 in 2019 after I learned my lesson with Makar.

He's just too dynamic not to be a high-end defenseman. Speed, skill, shot - it's all there.

Will be among the top scoring D for most of his career.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I've watched some Quinn Hughes and a bit of Jack. But I know very little about Luke.

How does his game differ from Quinn seeing as they are both defenseman? Think he has a chance to be the best among them?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The Devils of course would want to add Quinn whether through trade or free agency. And no question Fitz would absolutely want to trade for him if the terms were right, but that's not saying much - every team in the league would trip over themselves trying to acquire Quinn if he was available. But the reality is Vancouver isn't trading him and if it came to the point where they knew he wasn't going to re-sign again, Vancouver would be lucky to even get a DeBrincat level return as every team would know where he's going to sign. As of now Vancouver would laugh themselves silly if Fitz came forward with Nemec as the primary asset to pursue a trade. Nemec's development would need to go perfectly to close that gap, which of course is possible since he's young.

Let's stop dreaming of Quinn going to New Jersey because it will not happen.
Quinn is the captain of Canucks
Jack is captain of Devils
You really think Quinn will leave his captaincy to play under his brother?

Also what makes people think the two Hughes brothers won't just leave NJ? Just because 2 Hughes play in NJ and only 1 Hughes plays in Vancouver doesn't mean anything lol

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Also what makes people think the two Hughes brothers won't just leave NJ? Just because 2 Hughes play in NJ and only 1 Hughes plays in Vancouver doesn't mean anything lol

Nico Hischier doesn't exist apparently.

Also for the "why won't they leave NJ?" Jack's locked up for the next 7 years and Luke's got 2 years left on his ELC and then likely signs for 7 or 8 so there's that.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Read. I said nothing of the sort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad