LD Luke Hughes (2021, 4th, NJD)

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
EV0Ez5NUcAQtY2R

Looks safe to say Luke has about 2 inches on his brothers. If he looks to profile similar to Quinn with the extra size I feel like Top 10 being his floor is a safe bet.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
EV0Ez5NUcAQtY2R

Looks safe to say Luke has about 2 inches on his brothers. If he looks to profile similar to Quinn with the extra size I feel like Top 10 being his floor is a safe bet.

Man looking at that pic, who would ever think those kids would be stars/future stars in the NHL lol. Such small and skinny little guys.. crazy!!!

Honestly look like random kids playing road hockey somewhere lol

CapsFan819

Apr 12, 2020
Here are some clips from his 2019-20 season... I honestly can't see him going in the first half of the first round in 2021; he just doesn't seem dynamic enough IMO, but what do you guys think?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Here are some clips from his 2019-20 season... I honestly can't see him going in the first half of the first round in 2021; he just doesn't seem dynamic enough IMO, but what do you guys think?

I think you're wrong.

He's not as dynamic as Quinn but he also doesn't lack dynamic ability. He has a more mature, composed approach to his game than his brothers did at the same age.

Nevermind that you don't need to be dynamic to be a top 15 pick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He's not dynamic, but a great skater, good size, defense, can move the puck. He has enough offense. He's a more skilled version of Jake Sanderson from this year's NTDP team, and Sanderson will be a top 10 pick. Maybe not as physical as Sanderson, but has the same potential when he puts on some weight.

I think Hughes will be a top 10 pick. If his lack of dynamic offensive ability hurts his draft stock, I think it'd keep him from being a top 5 pick. I think he projects as at least somewhere in that 6-16 range.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I just finished reading all the posts. I pray we get to watch these kids next season in person. I'm dying to drive to Plymouth and check this kid out. I can't even imagine being the 3rd brother of the #1 and #7 picks. What pressure!!!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He's not dynamic, but a great skater, good size, defense, can move the puck. He has enough offense. He's a more skilled version of Jake Sanderson from this year's NTDP team, and Sanderson will be a top 10 pick. Maybe not as physical as Sanderson, but has the same potential when he puts on some weight.

I think Hughes will be a top 10 pick. If his lack of dynamic offensive ability hurts his draft stock, I think it'd keep him from being a top 5 pick. I think he projects as at least somewhere in that 6-16 range.
I still suggest that Luke has the best straight line speed of the three bros. He's a good player who will carve himself a good NHL career, even though he won't be a franchise player as his other two brothers are.

Reactions: CapsFan819

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
A Hughes that is not 5'10''? This must be a mistake, measure him again and make sure he isn't on his toes

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Only one preseason game, but I think it looks like he's made an obvious jump in his level of play. He's now a contender for the 1OA, as far as I'm concerned.

Whether he ends up 1OA is a different discussion, but his display in today's game was a dominant performance from the back end. He absolutely took over the game with skating and sense. I thought I was watching Miro Heiskanen. At no point last season did I see him play this well. There were flashes of this and he was a good player, but he looks like he might've figured out how to put it all together between last season and this one.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Only one preseason game, but I think it looks like he's made an obvious jump in his level of play. He's now a contender for the 1OA, as far as I'm concerned.

Whether he ends up 1OA is a different discussion, but his display in today's game was a dominant performance from the back end. He absolutely took over the game with skating and sense. I thought I was watching Miro Heiskanen. At no point last season did I see him play this well. There were flashes of this and he was a good player, but he looks like he might've figured out how to put it all together between last season and this one.
Other than his flub on the powerplay, I thought he had a stellar game too. In spite of everything I’ve read about him, I was more impressed with his offensive toolkit than his defensive one. But like you said, it’s only one game.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
how's he doing so far? any updates on hughes? so far it looks like there are 3 other dmans with more points then him.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA

I like Luke and think he is definitely worth a 1st round pick, but I watched one of his recent games that were streamed on youtube and I have to disagree with contender for 1OA. Something about HFboards and hyping players up. :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad