LD Libor Hajek (2016, 37th, TBL; traded to NYR)

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Slowing down with the puck has more to do with confidence than actual speed. He can blow by people -- he has on occasion. He just chooses not to. He's one of the top skating dmen in the draft.

On occasion in the WHL. I have seen him quite a few times live. Don't agree he is one of the top skating dmen in the draft - Sergachev, Juolevi, Clague, Hronek, Fitzgerald just off the top of my head I would say are better skaters than him for sure. Doesn't mean he's not a very solid all-around consistent defenseman - don't need to call him one of the top skating dmen in the draft though.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
On occasion in the WHL. I have seen him quite a few times live. Don't agree he is one of the top skating dmen in the draft - Sergachev, Juolevi, Clague, Hronek, Fitzgerald just off the top of my head I would say are better skaters than him for sure. Doesn't mean he's not a very solid all-around consistent defenseman - don't need to call him one of the top skating dmen in the draft though.

You're entitled to your opinion, just be aware that every scouting report, to include Central Scouting, states that skating is a strength. Whether it ranges from excellent to just very good, he's somebody who can carry the puck up the ice with authority and has good enough speed to catch up.

You dont need to be fast to be a very good skater, but Hajek is actually fast.

I don't know how anyone can look at the GIF (albeit a bit blurry) and not deduce that skating is one of Hajek's strong suits.

Skating will not be what holds him back.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
The skating ability is not even close. Hajek is elusive and intelligent in small areas with and without the puck, but when he skates a distance with the puck he starts to slow down. He'll get squeezed off along the boards at times or forced to dump it in by the red line.

Intelligent defender overall however - a lot to like, he just makes good decisions with the puck, protects lanes well defensively, but the skating could limit him to bottom pairing.

Good passer, good feel for the game and he is a steadying consistent presence for his teammates and his coaches.

His skating is far better than you give him credit it for. He's got massive power in his legs and with some more refining in his edges, his already above average skating will only get better. I agree with your assessment of the rest of his game but think he's more of a #3 D as a future NHLer more-so than a bottom pairing guy.

I used Beauchemin as a comparable earlier in the year and I think that's pretty bang on regarding playing style and ceiling...surely better than a Brodin comparison.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't watch enough of Hajek to have a solid opinion on his skating, but the fact you listed Jueolevi and Sergachev, but for whatever reasons left out Chychrun who is probably the best skating of the 3 makes me question your judgement in regards to players skating. Its not like Chychrun is an easy name to forget.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm hoping / anticipating that the Jets have Hajek on their radar @ #22 or #36 (if we're lucky).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
yes.. Hajek is one of the best skaters in this years draft

Yeah. Every aspect of his mobility is very impressive. He's quick, agile, and in open ice at top speed he can absolutely fly too. Actually truly deserving of the generally overused "smooth skating defenceman" platitude.

He's got pretty good size too, and that physical edge.

Really more of a puck-mover/puck-transporter though, than a real offensive contributor.

Kind of reminds me a bit of a sort of grittier, more physical John Moore. With those wheels and that kind of feeling that there should be a bit more to give there offensively, but just doesn't really materialize.

The way this draft looks, late 1st seems about right to me...though with his lack of production, wouldn't surprise me to see him slip into the 2nd.

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
Curious to know what WHL watchers think of his progress this year. Most seemed to think he didn't have much of an offensive ceiling, and that seems borne out by his numbers so far. Still, if he doesn't put up some points in juniors, is he lacking in the necessary puck skills to make plays in the pro game? Or is it more that the Blades are bad and that he's overexposed and unsupported as a big minute d-man for them?

Guess we will likely get a chance to watch him for ourselves on national TV given he's likely to be at the World Juniors...

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I don't think it really comes down on Hajek's shoulders. He is as capable a shutdown guy as there is in the WHL and his game doesn't end there..has puck skills and offensive IQ but is more concerned with allowing the play to flow out of his zone smoothly than he is rushing into the ozone. Great skater. Excellent in his own zone and physical. Projects well as a 2nd rounder with shutdown 2nd pairing upside

Also: Saskatoon is a bad team with little to no depth. Flodell is a decent but inconsistent starter and Hamm has looked like a Jr B goalie this season and is in the midst of what is probably the worst year of any goalie in the WHL. For some reason they keep playing him which I don't have much of an explanation for..

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Curious to know what WHL watchers think of his progress this year. Most seemed to think he didn't have much of an offensive ceiling, and that seems borne out by his numbers so far. Still, if he doesn't put up some points in juniors, is he lacking in the necessary puck skills to make plays in the pro game? Or is it more that the Blades are bad and that he's overexposed and unsupported as a big minute d-man for them?

Guess we will likely get a chance to watch him for ourselves on national TV given he's likely to be at the World Juniors...

His team is young and ineffective. No-win situation, just like last season. Saskatoon's best player - Cameron Hebig -- is hurt, and Russian dman Mark Rubinchik as well.

He had a strong game last night. Scored his first goal and made some plays but his forwards were skating in mud.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Czech team is looking solid and I am guessing Hajek will get some PP time, so if there's some offensive upside, he can show it there.

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
His team is young and ineffective. No-win situation, just like last season. Saskatoon's best player - Cameron Hebig -- is hurt, and Russian dman Mark Rubinchik as well.

He had a strong game last night. Scored his first goal and made some plays but his forwards were skating in mud.

Czech team is looking solid and I am guessing Hajek will get some PP time, so if there's some offensive upside, he can show it there.

Thanks to you both for the insight ! :handclap:

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Hajek is quietly the Blades' best defender. He makes the simple plays, doesn't overthink things, and is never flashy but gets the job done.

He's got all the physical tools that I could see him steadily progressing over the next 2-4 years and cracking the NHL as solid mid/bottom pairing defenceman.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Well so much for that :laugh: :help:
Next year he should be there for sure though.

Still can't believe they actually left him out for Krenzelok and Hrdinka... :facepalm:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Hajek is currently leading all defensemen in scoring at the World Junior Championship with 7 points in 5 games heading into the semis. He played over 30 minutes in the Czech's upset over Finland and will be leaned on heavily against Canada.

Thanks for the update but isn’t it a bit strong to call it an upset?

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
At the WJC most people don't know that he is also playing mostly on his "off" side ... he is playing the right side at the WJC. While in Sakatoon and every time I've seen him in training camp, Syracuse, and the preseason NHL games he played on the left side as he is a left handed shot.

Saw Hajek at our rookie tournament in 2016 (Coral Springs). Absolutely awesome player. He was our best defenseman at the tourney and our second best player (Point) on a team that included Cirelli, Katchouk, Masin, Raddysh, Howden, etc. This kid is the real deal and doesn't get to shine because of playing on a pretty bad Saskatoon team.

Most people would want to trade him out of Saskatoon ... but I want his Junior season to be over as soon as possible and have him report to Syracuse. We definitely have a spot open for him on the left side.

Reactions: Lays

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad